News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Camping @ TRF

Started by Glaodian, July 14, 2011, 11:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldatari

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on November 02, 2011, 07:54:14 PM
Quote from: Glaodian on November 02, 2011, 07:51:09 PM
Bonny, one bottle usually lasts a few days.

Really?  Even if it is running constantly, to the very wee hours? Some of our folks don't know what bedtime is lol.  :D

Wee hours are the best hours, I tend to stay up until about 3.

Glaodian

Really?  Even if it is running constantly, to the very wee hours? Some of our folks don't know what bedtime is lol.  :D

Well I guess it does depend on your run time.  They say that one bottle lasts about 10 hours.  But I have seen last twice as much as that.  So I guess it depends on the heater itself and if you run it at max.  10 hours is for a 40,000 BTU patio heater.  So run with that number and do the math as too how long you think you will be using it to figure out how many bottles you will need.

Then during real usage, keep track of how long you do run it and how long the bottles really last.

On a side note, the last one I bought was for my brother-in-law for Christmas.  His bottle lasted more than 20 hours.  Though it was only 17 degrees out side most of that weekend we were in Dallas with him.  Maybe the colder it is, the better chances the propane will condense and run longer.  That part I am not sure of.  Someone who knows more about gases will have to chime in on that.

Any ways, good luck.  I will be looking to stay warm under it during Highland Fling on walkabouts.   ;D ;D ;D
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: eldatari on November 02, 2011, 08:24:26 PM

Wee hours are the best hours, I tend to stay up until about 3.

See what I'm talkin' about lol?  :D  Eldatari isn't the only night owl in our clan either. :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Aiacha

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on November 02, 2011, 07:38:03 PM

Yay!!  Hey if y'all have propane, please bring it.  The heater holds the 20lb canisters.  We only have one ourselves and I am not sure how long that will last.

Actually if any McLot people have propane, please bring one. :)

...and you have our canister  :)

Actually, I have one sitting in the garage at home.  I'll have to be sure it's filled, but we'll toss it in the car for highland.

dreamwalker

On the topic of propane, can you get the 1 lb capacity ones and just refill them? I'm planning on using propane but not the bbq size tanks as of right now. I want to find out first so I don't go and earn myself a Darwin Award.
Normal? What's that?

PollyPoPo

There are adapters to refill them for sale at places like Wal-Mart and Sears.  Just do a google search of 1lb propane refill and then narrow it down to someplace close or an on-line provider.

I have not used them so I do not know how easy, safe or convenient it would be.

Edited - just looked up Coleman site and they have a FAQ saying specifically not to refill them, leaks, etc. even though other manufacturers sell refill adapter.  Guess it is a judgment call for the user.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Aiacha

Quote from: dreamwalker on November 10, 2011, 02:38:50 AM
On the topic of propane, can you get the 1 lb capacity ones and just refill them? I'm planning on using propane but not the bbq size tanks as of right now. I want to find out first so I don't go and earn myself a Darwin Award.

Why yes, yes you can.  Actually, that's going to be a project in 2012 because I HATE throwing those cans out.  I am currently hunting for the link I stumbled upon at one point that had a very good tutorial on just how to do it...

Here's the one I was looking for.  It's not just how to do it, but he shows how he built a set-up to make the refilling easier.  Just be safe doing it!!

http://www.navagear.com/2009/08/27/how-to-refill-disposable-propane-cylinders/

Riot

I can tell you by experience it doesn't always work. If the 1lb. canisters are cold it does work better, but again it doesn't always work or you can only put a little bit in there before it stops.
"I'm sweet, innocent, virginal, and full of all things goodness and light"

Glaodian

Academy and places like that sell the adapter to refill the little bottles from the big ones.  You can also go to Lowes and build yourself one pretty easy too.  They do work, but if you watch, you can get 2 bottles from $5 sometimes.  So you will have to weigh the fact of cost over safety.

--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

KiltedPrivateer

I'd also like to point out that those bottles were never designed for re-use.  As nice as it may seem to re-use them in an effort to spare a landfill, those little plungers in the bottle that keep the gas from escaping wear out quickly.  Twice now we've run into bottles that had to be left attached to something (mainly a lantern) because they were slowly and quietly leaking.  The bottle had to be placed right next to the ear to hear it, but when you did it was unmistakable.  Perhaps finding a company that will recycle the steal would be a better option.

As stated before - Be very careful.  Pressurized flammable gasses and all.  (o:
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

dreamwalker

I thought of that also, just throwing them away seems so wasteful. Perhaps get a little something back by taking them to a recycling yard. I have one near me but have no idea if they'll take them. They would have to be purged out first at least. Thanks everyone so much for weighing in :)
Normal? What's that?