News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Camping @ TRF

Started by Glaodian, July 14, 2011, 11:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breandan

Fíonna is almost 16 months old, so she'll be 18 months by Opening. She's camped out there once before when she was WAY young, so environment doesn't worry me, I'm more concerned about keeping her from running off or getting under foot while at camp without leashing her. Not to mention keeping her entertained. Tiff is 13 1/2 weeks along, so she is JUST starting the second trimester. She'll be nearing the end of it by Opening, if that gives you any ideas. I am considering getting a giganto-tent and bringing futon mattresses for all of us :)
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

KeeperoftheBar

Quote from: Breandan on July 29, 2011, 02:20:57 AM
Fíonna is almost 16 months old, so she'll be 18 months by Opening. She's camped out there once before when she was WAY young, so environment doesn't worry me, I'm more concerned about keeping her from running off or getting under foot while at camp without leashing her.

Not being a parent, I don't know how practical this is but how about putting ankle bells on Fionna?  You could get them at any belly dancer shop.  This would allow you to hear her as she moves, keeping her from sneaking away.
Bear bells would work too but might be a bit much for a tiny lass.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

PollyPoPo

Hee, hee, hee, hee, hee! Fionna just might give you a real experience, depending on how free she feels. 

This old Grannie was, more than once in her toddler years, tethered to a pulley on a clothes line to keep me from visiting the neighbor's raccoon and various other non-domestics. 

My son at 3 slipped out at a KOA with another little boy and was turning on all the unused water spigots, running just fast enough that I couldn't catch him and turn off the spigots before they got more turned on.  At 5 he was running toward the end of a dock when I caught up with him, switch in hand.  I watched as each my kids at about age 18 months climbed on the toilet, to the sink, and opened the medicine cabinet – only once - before I stopped them.  As a test of the new plastic, child-proof aspirin bottles, I gave my son, aged 2, a bottle with 1 pill inside.  He couldn't open it with his hands.  I told him I really, really had a headache and needed that pill.  He put it on the floor, lifted his foot with hard soled shoe, and smashed the bottle with one stomp, picked up the lone aspirin and handed it to me. 

For a child of 18 months, you probably have 4 options:  1.  watch her constantly; 2. confine her to an area (play pen, portable fencing, etc.); 3. tether her physically (leash, halter, etc.); or 4. let her roam around and trust that nothing will happen.  For many people it works fine.  Just depends on what you feel comfortable with and how resourceful Fionna is at getting into trouble. 

Personally, I would use play pen except when she was within grabbing distance.  Ever hear the phrase, hand or hair? 

Thank goodness my grandkids are old enough where they reach for my arm, not for their safety, but to keep me from drifting off our path.     

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

KiltedPrivateer

Quote from: KeeperoftheBar on July 29, 2011, 06:57:04 AM
Quote from: Breandan on July 29, 2011, 02:20:57 AM
Fíonna is almost 16 months old, so she'll be 18 months by Opening. She's camped out there once before when she was WAY young, so environment doesn't worry me, I'm more concerned about keeping her from running off or getting under foot while at camp without leashing her.

Not being a parent, I don't know how practical this is but how about putting ankle bells on Fionna?  You could get them at any belly dancer shop.  This would allow you to hear her as she moves, keeping her from sneaking away.
Bear bells would work too but might be a bit much for a tiny lass.

We actually did this for Elissa.  We had a string of bells that we put around her waist.  Now we load her up with glow sticks.

Bring her favorite toys if she has any.  We had so many people who camped with us that our daughter rarely walked around.  It seems someone was always holding her.  She loved to be read too.  One of the greatest pics I have is our friend Cory, shaved head, big scary skull tatoo, sitting by the fire pit reading to Elissa.  It's one of my "Only At Faire" pictures.  Love that one.
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

maeven

Quote from: KiltedPrivateer on July 29, 2011, 03:15:26 PM

We actually did this for Elissa.  We had a string of bells that we put around her waist.  Now we load her up with glow sticks.

Bring her favorite toys if she has any.  We had so many people who camped with us that our daughter rarely walked around.  It seems someone was always holding her.  She loved to be read too.  One of the greatest pics I have is our friend Cory, shaved head, big scary skull tatoo, sitting by the fire pit reading to Elissa.  It's one of my "Only At Faire" pictures.  Love that one.

Aww... That's too cute.
*Short enough to not reach the pedals, tall enough for the rides at Six Flags!*

I'm splendid. That is all.

AHE 2013 RenNado Survivor

Lady D1

Thanks for this thread and all the information on it!  We will be camping for All Hallows (entertaining invites from any willing clans for hosting) at a minimum.  We purchased a new travel trailer a couple of months ago and are very excited about being able to use it for camping at TRF.   

We planned to come check out the campgrounds on opening weekend to get a lay of the land so to speak.
Don't delay, taste a tart today!

Sir Edward

I plan on camping again this year. More for safety from the random drunk stops from the cops and the danger from all the drunks thinking that they can drive after drinking all day and for all the fun at night. This will be my third year to do this. camping at TRF is just so much funner than trying to get there for cannon of the day of the fair and driving 2 hours back home. Plus I'm not worried about being so tired the next day for the drive back up. I have a huge tent to my self and I bring 55 gallons of water to shower and cook with. I like to be not far from the gate but just far enough from the parties so I can find my way back to bed. I camp alone but make friends with others fast so I am really never alone. Hopefully I can meet most of y'all there.

ravic

Brother, please come see me @ Booth #157, Creatyve Lyfe Booksellers.

You will find there are quite a few of us at TRF.

James Huckabay, MM
Clear Lake #1417
Spring #1174

Sir Edward

I will try. You know the fair is big and the shows are many. I will mark the shop on the map. I'm a man of few words till I get to know someone then I'm like a fountain that just wont stop or I'm told to stop talking.

DonaCatalina

Someone brought to my attention that there are some people on Craigslist who have wooden pallets that they will give you if you can carry them away.
While this is not ideal for everyone, if you have a truck and space, you can use these to get some things off the ground. Throw an old carpet on them and you can place your generator, electric fan, electric heater,  boots/ice chests, etc. on top of that. Then if it rains, they won't be standing in water.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

sloth

That's such a clever idea, Doña.  If only I had more than my tiny Ford Focus... Somehow I don't think it would work very to strap 'em to the top of my tiny car.   :D

Lady Rosaline

We used to use old pallets with carpet (or something of the sort) quite often under our tents to keep them up off the ground. It works well to keep them a bit warmer and dryer. Though i would suspect it would only work well for small tents unless you have a large truck to haul a lot of pallets around. lol
I'm the reason the rum is gone! (Unless Teach is near by!)

Lishy

Dennis is doing something sort of similar- only we are using the puzzle shaped rubber mats you see for kids (theyve been just sitting in the garage FOREVER) with some carpet over them. Hoping it will at least help with the warmth factor, since I get cold easily and with the Diabetes, its not always easy to get warm again.
Muintir Go Deo!
SquishyLishy, Squeak, 1/2 of D-Lish
Clan o hEighnigh

dbaldock

Quote from: Lishy on October 09, 2011, 06:28:33 PM
Dennis is doing something sort of similar- only we are using the puzzle shaped rubber mats you see for kids (theyve been just sitting in the garage FOREVER) with some carpet over them. Hoping it will at least help with the warmth factor, since I get cold easily and with the Diabetes, its not always easy to get warm again.

Sounds like a job for a group-hug or a cuddle-pile...  ;)  :D
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Bonny Pearl

Sunday's downpour was not for the faint of heart lol.  Campground was flooded in several areas, but there were those that took  advantage of the water and were surfing the gulleys on their air mattresses lol.  It was fun to watch that and cheer them on.  :D

We spent most of Sunday afternoon at the POW.  The faire actually closed early!  We were bummed about that b/c it had finally started to really clear up around 5:30 and they shut it down at 6:00 :(
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88