News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

No Empty Hats on 8/13 - 8/14??

Started by moose, August 13, 2011, 12:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

I was very disappointed when I came to the Faire this morning, and saw a sign on the Bankside Stage stating "Performance Cancelled". I purposely came today to use the second day of my pass mainly to enjoy the Empty Hats experience. Upon seeing that, I went directly to the office to ask why, and I was told by the office folks, and one gentleman in particular that they were not at Sterling today, but at the opening of the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire, and will return next weekend. (Great - it's supposed to rain all next weekend). They were at least nice enough to offer to extend my pass, and give me a ticket when I return next weekend, which I will do if it doesn't rain. (I don't know how many people will come when rain is in the forecast, since there are no refunds for inclement weather). My point is: if they knew Empty Hats would not be there this weekend (I'm guessing they did, because EH is on the program at the PA Ren Faire for this weekend), WHY wasn't that noted in the program, or on their website? I remember in past years (i.e. 2008 when many performers were not there the entire season), it was noted in the program, as is London Broil this year. I'm sure that I will not be the only disappointed faire-goer this weekend who enjoys Empty Hats. Yes, you say I could have stayed since I was already there. I have seen everything there many times, and enjoy most of the acts, but I had my heart set on 4 sets (maybe 5) of Empty Hats. Thank you to the office for at least doing what they did.

Aaroncois

That is a bit surprising that they handled it that way, not noting in advance that the band would be absent this weekend. If I'd gotten there and found they weren't performing, I'd have been pretty ticked, too, as it's one of the primary (if not THE primary) acts I go to see.

As far as the weather goes, though, whoever told you it's supposed to rain next weekend has no better idea than I do as to what's really going to happen. Week-out weather reports are completely unreliable. It may well be the worst weather in this history of CNY, but it's just as likely to be gorgeous, and anyone who pretends they know today what's actually going to happen a week out is full of it.

irish

adding my thoughts here....
Sterling opened a week later than usual. this weekend, would of been closing weekend and....Empty Hats, would not been at Sterling, as they open the first weekend of Pa. faire.
what i would do is, follow your favorites on the internet or just ask them...
:D

irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

NoBill Lurker

So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Aaroncois

Quote from: irish on August 13, 2011, 02:15:02 PM
what i would do is, follow your favorites on the internet or just ask them...

That's not as easy as it sounds. EH has a reasonably active presence on Facebook, and they made no mention of the change of venue for the weekend (though they did announce that a new shop was opening in PA co-owned by Lynda, but it never explicitly said she'd be there in person). Apparently their own website notes it, but honestly their website is updated so infrequently that I never go there. And it wouldn't have occurred to me to check anyway, or to message Carl or Lynda and confirm their schedule for the weekend, when the Festival's program made it pretty clear they were going to be at Sterling. A little communication beforehand would have gone a long way. Why not just note it in the Festival's schedule??

irish

well there you go.....
a suggestion to either post entertainment changes in the program or list changes in advance on the bulletin board....
then again.....things can happen without advance notice, too....so, just enjoy the day, no matter what!
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~

moose

Quote from: Aaroncois on August 13, 2011, 01:17:06 PM
That is a bit surprising that they handled it that way, not noting in advance that the band would be absent this weekend. If I'd gotten there and found they weren't performing, I'd have been pretty ticked, too, as it's one of the primary (if not THE primary) acts I go to see.

As far as the weather goes, though, whoever told you it's supposed to rain next weekend has no better idea than I do as to what's really going to happen. Week-out weather reports are completely unreliable. It may well be the worst weather in this history of CNY, but it's just as likely to be gorgeous, and anyone who pretends they know today what's actually going to happen a week out is full of it.

I always look on weather.com - the forecast for next weekend is rain.

moose

Quote from: irish on August 13, 2011, 02:50:35 PM
well there you go.....
a suggestion to either post entertainment changes in the program or list changes in advance on the bulletin board....
then again.....things can happen without advance notice, too....so, just enjoy the day, no matter what!

I always enjoy my days there, and as I have said, I have seen most of the acts, and know them well, but figuring that yesterday would be my last day there this season, I REALLY wanted to see all 5 EH shows. I did in fact look at the bulletin board, and also inquired about the Celtic Fest - there was no mention of a schedule change yesterday. It SHOULD have been in the program, as is the break in the London Broil schedule.

Lady Amy of York

When you get faires that overlap other faires, you are going to get conflicts  with entertainment schedules. The entertainment directors at Sterling do a great job I  think  with the schedule  they have  to work with. Keep in mind that they book these acts months in advance  and that  the programs ( fliers probably get printed out months in advance too )  so if  there is  a schedule  change,or  conflict it is  may not show up on the program or  schedule.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

irish

irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~

MMario

the weather is truly unpredictable - for example - as late as 9 am on Sunday morning they were still predicting heavy rains for Fair Haven  most of the afternoon - which didn't even BEGIN to arrive until about 7:30

Not only that - but Sterling Faire is in a little micro-climate that often has light to no rain when surrounding areas are achieving downpour.  Several times we have had it rain in the parking lot and not in the fairgrounds.  And I can't count the number of times it has been raining in Fair Haven and not at the faire....

PLUS - those who let rain keep them away don't realize what they are missing.  Rain Days as a patron are fantastic!!!! Not so great for shopkeepers and gamers, but for patrons, yes, rain days are good.