News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Anyone from the Garden City, KS area?

Started by Jade, June 22, 2014, 12:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade

I am flying down there at the end of the month for a second interview for a teaching position. If all goes well I'll be moving there rather quickly. Any suggestions for places to check out while I'm down there? I'm moving by myself, suggestions for areas to look at for rentals, or places to stay away from? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Butch

I've only driven through Garden City.  We live in the Kansas City area.  Dodge City is close, Wyatt Earp stuff there.  I believe they have a Ren Fest every year in Great Bend, KS (East of Garden City).  Also, since you're RELATIVELY close, you should try to make it out to the CO Ren Fest, slightly North of Colorado Springs.

Congratulations on the second interview!  Hopefully you will get what you want!

Jade

You best believe I'll be going to any faire reasonably close. Lol. Dodge city is just under an hour, not bad at all. And I'll have to check out Great Bend, Ks. for their faire if I get this job. Fingers crossed, it's a long way from Michigan, but I'm ready for it! Thanks!

Butch

Well, Colorado RF is gonna be 4 or 5 hours from Garden City, but it is a great faire!  There are several larger cities around there to rent rooms.  There are also a few nice sites to see out near there (Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods come to mind).  They are an extremely friendly bunch as well!

I've never been to the Great Bend events; I just know that they have something (things?) in that city.

Heck, the Kansas City Ren Faire (my home faire) is only 5 or 6 hours away!  Come out and see us!

Good luck to you!

Jade

4-5 is doable. I'm pretty used to driving distances. I've already planned for KC faire in August if I get this job. Looking forward to meeting a new bunch, even if I'll miss the Mi runs.

Jade

Stuben

Butch

Congratulations on landing the job!  So much to do now (I'll bet) and Summer will be over before you know it.

Merlin the Elder

Yay, Jade! Congratulations! Might run into you sometime at KC or Larkspur!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Jade

Thanks everyone! I flew home last night, and need to move up there in a couple of weeks! It's about to get crazy here. Lol. I'm hoping to get to any of the "close-ish" faires around there, so that would be great Merlin! Seventh grade English, here I come!

Norfolk

Congratulations on the new job, Jade.  The Duchess and I hope to see you in Larkspur, if not this season, then next. 

Garden City is actually about an hour closer to Larkspur than to Bonner Springs.  When you decide to pay us a visit, post on the Colorado site and you will get lots of good advice on routes, lodging, must-see attractions, etc.
Just call me "Your Grace"

Jade

Thanks, looking at the schedule, I doubt I'll be able to attend to Larkspur this year, but hopefully next year I can do so! I'll certainly appreciate any help giving.