News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Rendezvous 2012

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, July 19, 2011, 08:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

Now that Rendezvous 2011 is over, have the mods decided where and when Rendezvous 2012 will be?

Due to work schedules, some of us have to plan as much in advance as possible.

Thanks! 
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Capt Spleen

Since Lady Renee has posted the first thread for RenDezvous 2012.....

And seeing how last years date did not favor her attending RenDezvous 2011.........

I  nominate Lady Renee Buchanan, to pick the next RenDezvous Site!

If she and the mods are agreeable?

eloquentXI

Quote from: Capt Spleen on July 20, 2011, 01:44:19 PM
Since Lady Renee has posted the first thread for RenDezvous 2012.....

And seeing how last years date did not favor her attending RenDezvous 2011.........

I  nominate Lady Renee Buchanan, to pick the next RenDezvous Site!

If she and the mods are agreeable?

Um, not that I don't like Lady Renee but this is not her decision. And if was made her decision, I know several people that would throw a fit over it, like so many other things related to Rendezvous.

I hope things get voted on this year but as with anything related to Rendezvous, not everyone is going to be happy with the end result.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Capt Spleen

Whether RenDezvous is voted on OR appointed by one person, there will always be hard feelings......

Perhaps RenDezvous has run its coarse.

Mayhaps it should just be mini invasions at ALL faires within the travel boundaries, affordabilities, time off, vacation, work/job availabilty, desires to see different faires or return to favorite faires, see RF persons we have yet to meet.

People can invite others to showcase their favorite home faires and be those faires hosts for a grand time.

In this manner, there are no hard feeelings, and everyone gets exactly what they want in a faire experience/s.

So many faires, so much time to see them at ones own pace, not someone elses.

I would personally love to travel to St Louis Faire (near the lovely, Lady Renee Buchanan) (and bring the RenDezvous banner to it OR any faire that can be chosen in any manner it might be chosen) It's a faire I've heard good things about, and is fairely centrally located. And no this is not an endorsement of that faire........just saying that's all.
And yes, I know, there should be those that want to host a faire too.

It seems whatever faire is ever chosen, those who have decided to attend, have a great time. I've never been to a RenDezvous I didn't enjoy. (TNRF, MDRF, Scarby, CRF.)

Renee, this is not intended to put you in an awkward position, but I would trust your decision, M'Lady.

How could any faire decided upon be a bad decision? Alaska anyone? What an adventure that would be.......

There are those that want to hang out at the pubs and talk things ren and non ren, amoungst their peers. Or drink. Or go to the shows, or shops, or, faire food, or the meet n greets, or local things to do based on the region, or finally put a face to the online character. There will always be something for everyone in some manner. And if not, they can attend another year, at a more desirable location/date.

*and yes, I am stirring the pot. Why wait?*

Lady Renee Buchanan

I agree, not me!   ;D

I have made many friends on this board and hope to make others in the future, so I don't want anyone to get mad at me for not picking the "right" faire.

Of course, if I did choose, it would have to be Bristol, my home faire.  lol

But I'm NOT choosing.......  we all know how rumors get started around here and then blow up into full scale drama!!!    ::)
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Xantrawler

Captain Spleen I think you may have came close to hitting on a wonderful idea. One of the problems with Rendezvous, as you have stated, is there are many wonderful faire's. The other problem is travel. We could not make the last two because of how far away they were. Relatively speaking there wasn't that much of a distance. Perhaps the answer would be multiple Rendezvous,one in each sector of the country.
We already have the country broke up into sectors, so all that would be left would be each sector deciding what faire for that year. This way more people would be able to attend and experience the thrill of a Rendevou. For those who can afford it this would give them the chance to travel about the country.
No, this will not end the hard feelings and the other problems that go along with this type of event. There is nothing that will do that. This is just an idea, perhaps someone can come up with a better one, or perhaps they can do like I did. I took the captain's idea and built on it, someone can take my idea and build in it.

Marietta Graziella

I really don't understand all the fuss. A RenDezvous is not a required event. Go. Don't go. It's up to you.

Can't afford it this year?  Save up and go next year.
Don't like the faire that was chosen?  Don't go.
You calendar is already booked? Hope for better dates next year.

It's really quite easy.

I would really hate to see this event go by the way side. Let's hope we can find common ground so there are many more in the future.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

LadyStitch

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on July 22, 2011, 10:08:25 AM
I really don't understand all the fuss. A RenDezvous is not a required event. Go. Don't go. It's up to you.
It's really quite easy.
I would really hate to see this event go by the way side. Let's hope we can find common ground so there are many more in the future.
The PP and I loved it last year.  We wanted to go this year but it just didn't happen. That doesn't mean we aren't going again.  There are so many different faires we would love to go to.  We would love to go to the Pennsylvania faire, but minisota has it's thing too.  Then there is florida, new york, who knows where else.  It isn't JUST the faire it is meeting fellow rennies from all over the country in a social aspect.  I made more friends at the Friday get together, and hanging out around the pool, than I did JUST going to the faire. We like to think of it as the yearly Faire-mily reunion.  You get together BS, drink, show off the kiddos, and go to the faire.  I don't care where it is as long as my faire-ly is there.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

renfairephotog

It's really quite easy.

Well Spoke MG! well spoke.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Once Debauched

It's really quite easy.

I couldn't agree more!

Even though I've not yet been able to attend RenDevous (almost made it a few years ago!) I still think that one large R/F.com sponsored event a year is ideal.  That's not to say you can't ALSO have smaller regional invasions or events hosted by members.  I think one compliments the other, to be quite honest.

Regardless of what you do, you're not going to make all the people happy all the time.  This is just an unavoidable fact.

IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

eloquentXI

It's really quite easy.

Exactly.

The drama that ensued prior to it even coming to Texas and around the event when it was down here last year almost caused me quit the forums completely. And I'm not the first person who has been apart of the planning/hosting committee that has almost gotten to this point.

If you don't want to come to the faire that is chosen- just don't go.
And do us all the favor- act like a GROWN adult about it and just deal with it.

No matter how we choose the faire or choose to go about voting, selecting, or nominating, not everyone is going to be happy.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

angusmacinnes

I would have loved to go to Colorado this year but it didn't work out that way.  So am looking forward to see where we want to go next year.  On to more fun now. ;D
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Lady Renee Buchanan

I really like when one faire in each section of the country was nominated, then the forum members voted for where they wanted it to be.  And if a section had a Rendezvous in the last 5 years, the same faire in that section couldn't be nominated again unless no one from any other faire in the section wanted to host a Rendezvous and someone in that faire (the one who previously had a Rendezvous) would be willing to host it.

As in any large diversified group, there will always be whiners, complainers, drama.  But that was so much in the minority, the rest of us enjoyed our Rendezvous visits.

And as MG said, if you can't make it, don't go.  We've missed 3 out of the 6 Rendezvous because it conflicted with Steve's restaurant schedule in the tourist season. Oh well, too bad, so sad for us.  But the ones we went to, we thoroughly enjoyed.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Sadly I heard ALOT of rumors this year as to why more did not come to CoRF. Those rumors all said one thing. That the turnout was not as large because the faire was picked instead of voted on. Personally I think IF thay be the truth and rumors tend to have SOME basses of fact to them, that those who Boycotted because DB and John picked the faire really need to grow up.

I can saw for CoRF we where all very happy to host and enjoyed every person that came to our faire and we hope they all had as much fun as I know all of us did.

I hope in the future Toki and I can make another RenDevous, but as we all know time, and money have a lot to do with making it to them. I hope to see those I saw this year again at future ones to have just as much fun as this years.

I think having the Mods pick the RenDevous location is a great idea as then those states that have massive amounts of members always win in their choice because they have the numbers But that is just my 2 half pence worth
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Athena

Well said, MG & Elo! I truly feel that the old way was fair. Perfect, no, but the mods tried their best to listen to people's concerns and suggestions. Yes, I'm aware that certain regions have more forum members, and that was addressed. Of course, that wasn't good enough for some people, who had throw drama around like it was confetti, and beeotch and moan how unfair the whole process was. Hey, everyone would like their home faire to host a Rendezvous, but nobody is entitled to it. Grow up or shut up, and don't go if you disapprove of the faire that's chosen.

I'd like to make another Rendezvous in the future if my schedule and finances allow. If I can't, no big deal, because there are plenty of other opportunities to travel and have fun, and I think that sometimes people lose sight of that.

ETA: Lady Delaney, I posted right after you, and some of what I wrote looks like a reponse to your post, but it isn't. Just general conversation. I would have loved to come to CoRF, but couldn't because of work and finances. As for the admins choosing which faire hosts, I understand why it happened. After the drama that ensued last year, I don't blame them.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb