News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Rendezvous 2012

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, July 19, 2011, 08:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

I joined the boards last year about two weeks after the Scarby RenDezvous. That sucked, since Scarby is home faire. But the chances of us just deciding to up and go to Colorado for faire would not have happened had it not been for RenDezvous.

I don't care how it's picked. Just let me know where it's going to be. If I can, I'll come. If I'm broke that year, I'll skip it. I met some truly wonderful people at CoRF. That goes for each and every person from R/F that I met. I look forward to seeing all of you again!

Despite the occasional drama, spats, and tantrums here, it's a great place to be. Life is too short. Don't sweat the petty things (...and don't pet the sweaty things). Who knows how long Nim and I will be able to continue going to faires, but we're going to do it as long as we can.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

DeadBishop

I've only personally been to one Rendezvous, and that was because it was my home faire.  Being the Forum Admin, I would have loved to attend each and every one to be able to meet all the members of this fine forum, but sadly that was just not possible due to financial reasons.  Like myself, many just don't have the means or time to travel to every single RenDezvous, so it is easier to try to move it around the country and bring it to the members.

A faire WILL be chosen for 2012.  Which faire?  that has yet to be decided.  We did away with the voting some time ago, and with it 90% of the drama that came with it.  Many good points have already been made in this thread, and are the same reasons that have been gone over in the past.  Are we simply going to pick a faire out of a hat?  No.  We do appreciate input into what faires, and more importantly, what R/F members from those faires, are willing to host.  We're still of the same basic idea that we'd like to see Rendezvous move around the country and not stay in just one area.  Certain areas will come up more simply because of member population of those areas.  I encourage discussion and ideas of where the next Rendezvous will be.

R/F.com member since 2003

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Molden and I have been chatting about this and would like to volunteer to host(ess) the 2012 Rendezvous @ Carolina Renaissance Festival in Huntersville, NC.  We enjoy a large faire, with fyne acts such as the Tortuga Twins, Zilch the Tory Stellar, Hanlon-Lees Jousting Troup 3 man joust and they serve GUINESS!  It runs the 2nd weekend in October till the weekend before Thanksgiving.  The first 2 weekends we usually enjoy warmer weather although I do not recommend our second weekend as it co-incides with a NASCAR race.  In 2010 we had the most lovely Faire weather.

The link to CRF is http://royalfaires.com/

Closest airport is Charlotte-Douglas International Airport, about 1/2 hour South of the Shire.  http://charlottedouglasintlairport.com/

Blessings,

Lady M
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Merlin the Elder

I am a relative newcomer here.  How many RenDezvous gatherings have there been, and where?

Lady Mikayla, I have family in that general area. CRF is already on my list to make at some point. It would be a couple hours closer to us than CoRF.

Capt Spleen

I believe there have been 6 RenDezvous events so far......

the first two were MNRF and TRF - not sure of the order - I did not attend these.

3) Tennessee Ren Faire
4) Maryland Ren Faire
5) Scarby
6) Colorado Ren Faire

The last 4, I was in attendance.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I would go anywhere, but I like Bristol, KC, Sterling.  Chippewa in Wisconsin is not a huge Faire, but has camping for all and a great Faire. St Louis is cool too, since it is French

Pick me, pick me.  8)

Oh, and there is Arizona in Feb and March.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Rani Zemirah

It would be wonderful to be able to camp at whichever Faire is chosen next, since hotels are quite a large extra expense for some. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lupa

Would love to see at least allow people to send in nominations for the admins to choose from... is there a least a procedure for this?
Goddess of the Grove
DoRT
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3576
IFoRP #1360
FOKTOP Inquisitor
Cheer'n M'Crack

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on July 25, 2011, 02:15:30 AM
It would be wonderful to be able to camp at whichever Faire is chosen next, since hotels are quite a large extra expense for some. 

There is a KOA campground 20 miles to the North in Troutman.
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Merlin the Elder

We've got a KOA within 5 miles here, but then it's 250 miles to the nearest faire...  :)

Wherever it is, don't schedule it for April 14, 2012... something else is going on that day....

Rani Zemirah

That's fairly close... but there's not much better than being able to walk out the gate and stroll with your friends to the campsite, without having to get into the car and actually leave the grounds.  I've been spoiled by TRF, I guess.  ::)  :D  I love the camaraderie of having so very many friends close by for the whole weekend, without having to go anywhere else at the end of the day, and everyone being able to sit around the fire and chat, or wander around the campgrounds and see all the people you talk to here, on a daily basis. 

I just wish EVERY Faire had adjacent camping...  ;)  heheh
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Marietta Graziella

Would love to know if there has been any discussion about this. Some seasons start in Jan/Feb time frame and that faire would not have very much time to plan and organize their event. Also, folks attending need time to save up for their trip.

So, any word?
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Well, as I'm in charge of a M'Crack Family Gathering at Bristol next summer (tentative date 3rd weekend in July), what the heck?  If I'm coordinating for the M'Cracks, what's another 50 to 100 people coming for a Rendezvous?

So if the Mods would be willing for it to be held the same weekend (since so many M'Cracks are RF members, and the Rendezvous in TN in 2008 was the same weekend as the M'Crack invasion), who wants to come to Bristol next summer for a Rendezvous?    ;D

You can throw Bristol's name into the hat, if you wish.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Capt Spleen

That's the ren spirit, Renee!

I'll come to Bristol next summer for RenDezvous 2012!

( and I'll deliver the RenDezvous Banner in person too! )

*However, no faire will be picked out of a hat.*  ;)

eloquentXI

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on August 08, 2011, 08:16:05 PM
Well, as I'm in charge of a M'Crack Family Gathering at Bristol next summer (tentative date 3rd weekend in July), what the heck?  If I'm coordinating for the M'Cracks, what's another 50 to 100 people coming for a Rendezvous?

So if the Mods would be willing for it to be held the same weekend (since so many M'Cracks are RF members, and the Rendezvous in TN in 2008 was the same weekend as the M'Crack invasion), who wants to come to Bristol next summer for a Rendezvous?    ;D

You can throw Bristol's name into the hat, if you wish.

People will probably be more interested in doing it over Labor Day, just a thought. Though...I've already got a conflict for that. :-/

I'm interested in seeing how this plays out, there are definitely a lot of really good faires that Rendezvous hasn't happened at yet, and all the ones mentioned sound great.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)