News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Rendezvous 2012

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, July 19, 2011, 08:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 12, 2011, 02:08:46 PMI've been told that Arkansas isn't South and Missouri isn't North.
I grew up on the boarder of Missouri and Arkansas. I grew up learning the boarder was the mason dixion line, but then they threw in the whole missouri compromise which totally messed things up.  Add in the extrended M-D line across Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona.
However if you study the migrations of settlers in the early years of the US you will find that the Scotch-Irish  Either went over the applilations into the Ketucky Tennesee area, OR they went south around the Gerogia area, across Alabama & Mississippi, and then up through Arkansas into Missouri & Oklahoma.  Experts feel that the midwest/ south meets somewhere just south of St Louis.  (I always thought about Rolla.)  The culture there feels more Norther/ carpet bagger vs  southern/ hillbilly in that area. 

Good grief I am such a history nerd!  Then again  I really did like professor in collage that taught american history.

back on track...  No we DO NOT get to pick but there are some places that some of us would love and excuse to make a trip to certain faires.  Some of us were expressing our preference as to which faires those are.  Frankly all I care about is that my friends are there, and I can have alot of fun in a new place.  ;D
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Rogue Hidesmith

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 12, 2011, 03:00:13 PM
It's not, Muffin, but that doesn't mean we can't try to influence the decision... :)

Rabble rabble rabble! ;D
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I'm with Lady Stitch, I don't really care where (I have some preferences), but once chosen we can then start to make plans.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Mairte

I like the idea of picking one east of the Mississippi this time around, if we have any say or influence in it at all...

Butch

Quote from: LadyStitch on August 12, 2011, 03:39:00 PM
(I always thought about Rolla.) 
HA!  My son goes to MO S&T in Rolla!  They named the city Rolla after Raleigh, NC; however, they spelled it phonetically correct!  Gotta love Missour-ah!

Merlin the Elder

Yeah...go figure. I'm from Missouri. I have no clue where "Missour-ah" comes from...or Lou-zianna...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

LadyJessica

Since I noticed a few volunteering...

Wanna host a RenDezvous?

There is an area you can go to to throw your name/faire into the running, but you gotta be willing to help host it.  All the faires will be considered but these faires just might be considered more if we know that there's someone to help host it.

Go to the main page of the RenDezvous section.  At the top of the page there is a "child board" with a thread called "Please pick our faire!".  Click on the thread and start a new topic on why the mods should consider your faire.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: LadyJessica on August 15, 2011, 07:07:21 PM
Since I noticed a few volunteering...

Wanna host a RenDezvous?

There is an area you can go to to throw your name/faire into the running, but you gotta be willing to help host it.  All the faires will be considered but these faires just might be considered more if we know that there's someone to help host it.

Go to the main page of the RenDezvous section.  At the top of the page there is a "child board" with a thread called "Please pick our faire!".  Click on the thread and start a new topic on why the mods should consider your faire.

It seems to be locked.  The last post was in 2010.  There's no place to write, and no box to start a new topic.  Although it's me, so I am probably missing something.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Rogue Hidesmith

Out of curiosity, if you don't work for your home shire, how would one go about "hosting"?
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Merlin the Elder

You just have to be willing to spend a lot of time organizing the gatherings, information about where to stay, arranging the pairings for the orgies...well, not the last item. It's a job that I would not want to take on myself, but I tend to be a totally disorganized person.

The last RenDezvous was awesome. It's the only one I've attended, so I can't tell you much more than I know that Spleen and Blush busted a gut to put it together. You would be well advised to communicate with them...for a good time call Spleen and Blush... Neither of them work for the Faire, although Spleen used to.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Welsh Wench

Lady Nicolette and I hosted Rendezvous III and it wasn't that difficult. You just have to want to have fun.

MCracks need Guinness...that was all we really needed to know.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

arbcoind

Quote from: LadyJessica on August 15, 2011, 07:07:21 PMGo to the main page of the RenDezvous section.  At the top of the page there is a "child board" with a thread called "Please pick our faire!".  Click on the thread and start a new topic on why the mods should consider your faire.

Um, yeah, it's locked.  I tried some time ago.

Gina

eloquentXI

Please give Jess a chance to get in and unlock that and get it where it set up for suggestions and such, folks.

Hosting a Rendezvous is not hard.
A person would need to be knowledgeable of the faire and of the surrounding areas, including food, hotels, major airports, etc.

Basically, you are a go-to person on whats going on, where, who, why, when. :-)

You end up designating one or two local hotels close to the faire as an official RF.com host hotel, and possibly get discounted prices. You pick a suggested dinner meet-up at a local restaurant on one or each night of the faire, with consideration to the amount of people coming and the price of the place.

We chose to do a the pre-Cannon Meet n' Greet which is usual at a lot of faires, but a long-lived tradition at Scarby. We also took our hand at playing Musical Men, like it has been played at other faires...

If you have the time and are interested, I say go for it. It was a good experience and I was very lucky to meet so many wonderful people from far away.  :)
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 14, 2011, 07:07:05 AM
Yeah...go figure. I'm from Missouri. I have no clue where "Missour-ah" comes from...or Lou-zianna...

Missouri gets its name from a tribe of Sioux Indians of the state called the Missouris. The word "Missouri" often has been construed to mean "muddy water" but the Smithsonian Institution Bureau of American Ethnology has stated it means "town of the large canoes," and authorities have said the Indian syllables from which the word comes mean "wooden canoe people" or "he of the big canoe."

Louisiana was named in honor of King Louis XIV
It comes from the name given to the area by Rene-Robert Cavelier. Sieur de La Salle of La Lousisiane which mean Land of Louis in honor of Louis XIV the King of France.

There aye go
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Rani Zemirah

Lady D, I think he was wondering why they're not pronounced the way they're spelled, such as MO being pronounced Missour-UH instead of Missour-EE, the way folks who DON'T live there say it...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede