News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Unappreciative Receivers of items

Started by LadyStitch, July 21, 2011, 09:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Christina de Pond

I have recently started giving coworkers handmade items for showers and had good results. everyone knows when i made it and gushes ofcourse i also have another coworker who has made diaper bags for every baby shower we've had and no one is like ick it's not store bought.
I'm sorry anyone did that too your coworker i love handmade things i treasure them because i know someone put their time and effort into creating something for me.

Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

LadyStitch

Quote from: isabelladangelo on July 21, 2011, 12:10:13 PM
This!  Although, I am curious as to the quality of the child's blanket given the reaction.  I know when my baby brother was born MANY years ago, I received a matching homemade doll blanket for his crib blanket.  I still have it in the closet and it's still amazing to me the quality of it. 

My co-worker had bought a winnie the pooh print fleece section, and bound the edges with bias tape.  Fairly simple, but cute.  From hearing my co-worker talk, the mom has an "only the best for my baby" attitude.  One of the mom's here just said, "Wait till the mom is sleep deprived, milk stained, and has a cranky colicy baby and see if she cares if the blanket is home made or store bought."  LOL

Until I started making baby outfits, I loved to make baby bibs from large wash cloths and hand towels. When I would make them for coworkers I would always use the towels from our store.  They got a kick out of seeing stuff they designed, delivered to  stores, and then turned into a special item for them. 
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Taffy Saltwater

Baby blankets are not heirloom items.  They are usually in shreds by toddlerhood because of frequent washings and the fact that babies are rough on stuff.  So in a year, maybe less, that store-bought bankie is going to be in the same tired, washed out condition as the home-made one.  Some people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.
Sveethot!

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on July 21, 2011, 01:30:01 PM
Baby blankets are not heirloom items.  They are usually in shreds by toddlerhood because of frequent washings and the fact that babies are rough on stuff.  So in a year, maybe less, that store-bought bankie is going to be in the same tired, washed out condition as the home-made one.  Some people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.
Well said!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

DonaCatalina

Baby blankets are not heirloom items.  They are usually in shreds by toddlerhood because of frequent washings and the fact that babies are rough on stuff.  So in a year, maybe less, that store-bought bankie is going to be in the same tired, washed out condition as the home-made one.  Some people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.
I think you nailed it.
But unfortunately I have seen the same attitude many many times. One of my friends made several rompers for her nephew's expectant wife. At the baby showe in Southlake, the gift was given a cool reception even though she had appliqued some very cute winnie the pooh characters on them. Later she heard the mother-in-law make a comment about giving them to Goodwill since they obviously had not been bought at XXXX baby store.
I despair for humanity some days.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

PollyPoPo

Everyone I know was raised with the attitude of accept graciously whatever it is.  Of course, the kids who have lots of clothing do not show the same enthusiasm for new clothes as those who only get new clothes for start of school (if then), but they at least have learned to smile and say thank you.

My childless married Daughter started offering a "day with Aunt alone" or a physical gift when nephews reached age of 10.  Response now is "day with you, of course" before she can even get the offer out.  The next-in-line niece was musing to me this summer that she hopes Aunt begins to make the offer to her soon not knowing this is the year.

Then there is my Sister who began making quilts for the kids and then started getting requests by older kids to make one for younger sibling so the older doesn't have to share.  One quilt made for Sis's new grandson was quickly "accepted" by his three-year old sister on behalf of her dollie – Sis will just have to make another one. My 14-year old Grandson still has the matching quilted pillow on his bed after about 10 years (we're afraid to wash it again).  He's folded the quilt on a chair for safekeeping, after it had to be repaired.  I think he's saving it for his kids.

Hand-made or the gift of time wins out over store-bought for this latest generation in our family. 

As for people who stick their noses in the air at hand-made – I hope they stub their toes many times.

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Rani Zemirah

LadyS, the most precious baby gifts anyone in my family has ever received are the baby quilts my grandmother made by hand.  By the time my own daughter was born, my g-ma's hands and eyes were too bad to quilt any more, so she didn't get one... but I have one of the last full size quilts she ever made, and I'm having it preserved so it will last for generations, and when my daughter is grown and starts a family of her own it will be her gift, and she has already said she will pass it down to her daughter, if she has one.  

Gifts that are made by hand, and with love, are the ones that become the most precious over time... and anyone who doesn't already know this just doesn't deserve that sort of gift to begin with.  
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Rowen MacD on July 21, 2011, 12:33:42 PM...I asked around my office and this is what I heard:
  Apparently the engagement ring is supposed to represent the grooms' intention to provide material support to the bride to be ...
Well, there you have it in a nutshell. It's no longer about love, it's all about "what can you do for me." Have we really gotten that selfish?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Bonny Pearl

I would be heartbroken if I ever lost the items my mom made for me, blankets, crochet work, etc.  I even have items from my grandmother's household.  Some items are a bit tattered but it's the memories made, the time and care that it took to make these items that makes them special.  My mother and grandmother have been gone from this world for many years, but I still use the blankets my mom made and think of her whenever I do.  It's better than anything she ever bought for me.

Last winter I knitted a scarf for our son.  He loves it because I made it (he's 9).  I will be sure that before it gets too worn down I will put it up for safe keeping so when I am gone he has it to remember me by whenever he puts it on.

Lady Stitch I truly fee bad for your co-worker.  The 'friend' that she thought she had is obviously not much of a friend.  Otherwise she would have felt the love that is in the blanket.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Lady Lowrye verch Jankyns

My daughter has a blanket that my old neighbor's sister made for her when she was born (and this sister even lived 2 1/2 hours from us and I had only met her maybe 3 or 4 times).  She had just learned to sew and wanted to make this for me and my daughter.  To this day my almost 10 year old daughter takes that blanket with her when she goes on trips.  I have even asked her if she was a little too old to carry that blanket still and she said it's her favorite blanket.  To me, it's something special who took the time to make something for my daughter and I hope someday she will give it her daughter (or son).

I would much rather have something homemade or something that has been handed down that has been in my family for awhile.

I'm so sorry your co-worker was treated that way.  Those woman will never appreciate the true "finer" things in life.  

As for your other situation, I don't have any suggestions.  It sounds like no matter what you do it won't be right.  But I do think you did the right thing and until that mom and her son learn to appreciate and be grateful for things then they don't need to get a special gift.
Lady Lowrye
"What I lack in talent, I make up for in attitude."

Lady Renee Buchanan

My mother, who didn't sew & never had any desire to sew or learn to sew, as a surprise for Christmas 2 months before our oldest son, her first grandchild, was born, had my cousin show her how to make baby kimonos. Simple design, with a neck tie, sleeves, and open down the front, and the length to the baby's feet.  And then she embroidered them!  My whole life up to that point, I never knew my mother knew how to embroider.  She never did anything like that before, and never did again.

Our son turned 30 in February of this year.  My mother passed away 8 years ago in June.  I still have those baby kimonos in a rubbermaid tub, and are one of the most precious gifts I have ever received.

I also knit prayer shawls for anyone who needs one.  People at work come up and ask them for family members, I make them for people going through health issues, deaths of loved ones, soldiers going to Iraq, you name it, I make them.  And I am not a good knitter!  I call the blankets "holey" as opposed to "holy" because of the dropped stitches and holes in them.  Yet, no one has ever complained about them.

I think those people were rude, jealous, and you proved yourself the bigger person by not making a scene.  Think of it this way.  You have to work with people, but that doesn't mean you have to be great buddies with them.  I'd just stay away frm the rude ones.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Athena

Quote from: DonaCatalina on July 21, 2011, 04:15:39 PM
Baby blankets are not heirloom items.  They are usually in shreds by toddlerhood because of frequent washings and the fact that babies are rough on stuff.  So in a year, maybe less, that store-bought bankie is going to be in the same tired, washed out condition as the home-made one.  Some people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.
I think you nailed it.
But unfortunately I have seen the same attitude many many times. One of my friends made several rompers for her nephew's expectant wife. At the baby showe in Southlake, the gift was given a cool reception even though she had appliqued some very cute winnie the pooh characters on them. Later she heard the mother-in-law make a comment about giving them to Goodwill since they obviously had not been bought at XXXX baby store.
I despair for humanity some days.

That item from XXXX baby store may have a fancy name (which is really what you're paying for) attached to it, but I guarantee it was mass produced in China and the quality most likely on par with the cheap stuff you find at Wal Mart and other discount stores. The clothes your friend took the time to make were probably of better quality, but since some people turn their noses up at anything that doesn't have a brand name, it's completely lost on them. Taffy hit the nail on the head.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Lady Stitch! I am sorry your co worker was treated with such indefference. When giving or making a gift, it is the thought that counts. Whether it be for a Baby, Adult, or Child.

Some people do have the manners of a cold fish.

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

serenamoonsilver

As to the orginal post, it just sounds like rude behavior all around.  A gift is a gift and even if you absolutely for some reason hate the gift, you are still gracious and thank the giver because its always "the thought that counts."

I love homemade items and my favorite most cherished gifts for my children have been handmade.  A cousin made a beautiful calico dress, bonnet, and baby shoes for my first daughter.  While all the other store bought clothes have either been given away or pack in garbage bags, those are in special box in my closet and if I have granddaughters some day I intend to pass it down.  The others are afgans made by my late grandmother.  She crocheted and knitted to fill her time and every baby born in our family (her grandchildren, nieces, nephews, grandnieces and newphews, greatgrandchildren) all have at least one of her afgans.  Mine was my blankie when I was little and I managed to keep up until about five years ago when it finally started to fall apart due to use (I'm 34 btw). 

She also had what I thought was a very classy way of giving them.  She always bought something practical off of the regestry and gave both.   That way the mom-to-be got something she asked for and something my grandmother hoped she would cherish.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on July 21, 2011, 07:06:32 PM
Quote from: Rowen MacD on July 21, 2011, 12:33:42 PM...I asked around my office and this is what I heard:
  Apparently the engagement ring is supposed to represent the grooms' intention to provide material support to the bride to be ...
Well, there you have it in a nutshell. It's no longer about love, it's all about "what can you do for me." Have we really gotten that selfish?
Yep.  This is a very convenient (for the bride) hold over from a bygone era.    
  Engagement rings are a very old fashioned, pre-suffragette custom that have been retained to this day simply because it is profitable for the jewelry industry and a way to further the brides' social status, and provide bragging rights to the groom: Huge Rock=Manhunt Win.  However, we sugar coat it to mean: Huge rock=Huge love.    
Certainly, a simple $200 promise ring (my hubby gave me a Claddagh) serves the same purpose of announcing that a woman is engaged, but does not impress her friends and family like a $5K rock.  
 Most women today have their own money and careers, and they don't need the 'dower padding' of a huge diamond in their jewelry box in case the hubby passes on or divorces them, making their future matrimonial prospects less than ideal.  

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt