News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"Garbing" a Radio Flyer?

Started by Rogue Hidesmith, July 24, 2011, 06:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Hidesmith

I suppose this could just as easily fit under Faire & Family, but I thought I'd start here :)

My son received a Radio Flyer wagon model 2700 yesterday for his first birthday. My wife and I would like to decorate it somehow for faire. I was thinking along the lines of a pirate ship (Just saw the Vasa museum in Sweden last week, very cool). I'd prefer not to permanently alter the wagon, except for small and easily-overlooked modifications.

I'm not married to the pirate ship idea, so I'd appreciate any decoration ideas.

If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Lady Kett

Hi Rogue!

I've seen several wagons dressed for faire, but I don't have any photos. Hopefully some of those with bigger photo collections and better memories will hop in.

The most common I think I see is draping the body of the wagon in brown something or other to make it look like a horse, and then the arm you pull it with, gets a full make-over to look horse-ish. The favorite one I saw had the mouth as the opening where you put your hand in to grab it and pull it.

Good luck and be sure to post pics!

BubbleWright

Go to STAPLES Office Supplies and get a couple of pieces of heavy foam core poster board and 4 large mailing tubes. Make a rectangular castle with mailing tube towers at each corner. Paint it up to resemble stone walls.  Use stick on hooks to attach the castle to the wagon sides. Presto!... a King in his castle! I made a drawing of this and posted it in my FLICKR page.  See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28247229@N02/5970736409/in/photostream

"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Rogue Hidesmith

Here's Ari enjoying his new ride, to give a scale

If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Rogue Hidesmith

Felix, I think we're looking for something a bit more portable.  We operate out of a prius, so space is somewhat limited, especially with the wagon in the trunk. I like the idea though :)
IBRSC #1603

Rogue Hidesmith

IBRSC #1603

ArielCallista

what about making something out of fabric. like the same castle idea but find a brick-ish printed fabric and make a similar castle setup to the one BubbleWright posted a sketch of. Stuff tubes of fabric for the 4 corners and cut out little windows from black felt and a big wooden door from brown felt and stitich or glue them on.
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Rogue Hidesmith

IBRSC #1603

Rogue Hidesmith

IBRSC #1603

Hoowil

Most of the ones I've seen have been build on one of the wagons that already has a canopy. I made this one last year for my two little ones.

I thought I had some newer pictures from this year that showed the curtains a little better, but I can't find them right now.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

LadyStitch

I am following this thread closely. The PP recently got into makeing stage props seriously.  We put a wagon in the gift registry for our kiddo.  He has already started asking the same questions you are.
What are some things you can do to a wagon to make it more comfortable for the kiddo?  What are some things that you can do to it that will still keep it portable? (There is an amazing princess carriage I see at TRF and Scarby that there is no way we could get into the back of our Prius.)
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Rogue Hidesmith

So far the wagon we have seems comfortable to Ari. Maybe for longer-term comfort putting down some blankets or pillows for him to snuggle into.
IBRSC #1603

Adriana Rose

I saw a little girl who's momma put what looked like a HUGE pillow in a collapsable garden wagon she was all snuggled in very cute. The most used theme that I have seen it the pavillion look, with some messing around I bet you could noodle something out. I'd make it removable because that wagon is going to be the worlds best thing in a few years. Ours has been a pirate ship to a race car.

Rogue Hidesmith

Found another nicely decorated wagon :)
IBRSC #1603

Hoowil

One of the nice things with the new plastic radio flyersis that the seats are actual seats, ans ours at least has three pint harnesses for each sea, so you can keep the little one from doing an impromptu dismount.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.