News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Corset Update

Started by LAVAGODDESSSS, September 05, 2011, 10:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAVAGODDESSSS

Hi all,

So I have this amazing corset, but I made the mistake of ordering it overbust. All my other corsets are underbust or halfsies (as in, they have just a small 'lip' and push up). Or call them a shelf.

I know I could probably send it to the corset maker, but I'm curious, if this is something that I can do on my own.

The overbust was...a bust. I don't know why, but the cups, I can't get them close 'enough' to cover my boobs. I know, pictures would help, but I cannot put that thing back on!  I have the top lacing as tight as it can be, I can get the top to touch. So the comment was, maybe I need to just hack off the boobs.

It's a front lacing lovely corset. The cups don't have boning in them, and it seemed they were constantly under my armpits or folded so it looked like I had flappy boobs. That was a lovely thought, no? I could "almost" get them to look normall if I pulled them up and pulled them towards each other in the center. Then as the day went on (and the humidity went up) they got droopy. I looked a hot mess.

Anyways, how do I know where to cut? and when I do have it cut, (maybe I use my underbusts as a guide), what do I use to 'seal' the edges? I'm a novice, and I just can't bring myself to send this back to her...she's fixed enough.

Any suggestions? or should I just relegate it to "it looks good in my closet."
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Post photos if you can so that we can give suggestions.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

LAVAGODDESSSS

Thank you for your response. :D

I won't have a camera for a few weeks. Or I would. I know, this makes it difficult.

The reason I even got the idea was that I folded the cups under, and relaced myself. Besides the discomfort of the 2 more layers of upholstery fabric shoved at my ribs.

But I'm not sure how to execute it. Do I just lop off the cups? How do I finish the 'edge'?

I can show you this picture, this is a half cup, but the rest of the corset is the same:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/76839168/waist-27-to-29-blue-chevron-stripe

Mine has 'more' of a cup. Just for some reason mine flops down (it may be partly also that mine doesn't have the straps). But they also don't fit my cup 'shape.'
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Based on the link, it is hard to see where the seams are to the pattern of the fabric. If your cordet is like the one in the link, it may pose a problem to alter.

zuntil you get a camera or borrow one to get photos, help may be slow. Be patient and we will be able to assist with suggestions until we are able to see yours.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Adriana Rose

If its a Damsil bodice she will do mods for you no worries thats what I have heard she is cool like that.

Anna Iram

Wouldn't hurt to just ask the seller if she could fix it. Maybe that would work best. In the meanwhile, can you describe the boning in the corset? Does that seam Kathleen refers to contain a bone that runs up over the cup? Or perhaps the cup is fabric only with an underwire of boning like a bra? I'm no great seamstress, but maybe one of the other ladies can get a better picture from this description.

bellalye

Hi! 

I went over to Damsel's SOLD items and found an overbust corset.  Is this similar to the one you are describing?

or this one?

If it is, then I suppose one solution would be to add a halter strap of some kind (this is assuming that your corset does not already have such a strap).  A halter neckline is attractive on most all body types, and it would certainly help to pull the cups up and closer together.   One way to add a halter would be to put a grommet in the "peak" of each cup --see red bodice above-- and then run a long ribbon through the grommets and against the back of your neck.  Many of Damsel's corsets utilize a halter (often as collars or hoods) with this method.  An even simpler solution would be to hand-sew a ribbon to the peak of each cup and then tie them around your neck. 

I believe that Damsel makes these corsets to be worn over fully supportive bras and chemises, so the shape of the cup really isn't meant to cover your chest alone.  If you do want to wear it sans chemise (I really wouldn't recommend going bra-less) you could sew a ruffle directly to the inside of the cup.  This would give the illusion of an intense, ruffly sweetheart-blouse underneath your corset that is intended to cover the breast.  Here's a basic sketch of the idea (please forgive my poor MS-Paint abilities).

Ruffles are AMAZINGLY EASY to create.  Here's one tutorial, http://www.ehow.com/how_4451284_make-fabric-ruffles.html , though I'm sure that there are a million more to be found just by searching on google. 

If you do decide to change your corset to an under-bust, I would put the garment on inside-out, and have a friend mark the correct shape under your chest.  Make sure both sides are even, then snip snip snip!  You can finish the edges with commercial bias tape (readily available at any fabric store) or you can make your own http://www.coletterie.com/fabric-haberdashery/tutorial-how-to-make-bias-tape !  Don't be afraid to add ruffles, panels, trims, and/or embellishments to transform this item into the exact masterpiece that you want to wear.

None of these alterations are H/A, but they are really fun and pretty - which is exactly what I go for when wearing a cool corset like a Damsel.

Coch

Not sure how I wandered into this post, lol, but I have to say. If it is a Damsel corset talk to Michelle, She is a fantastic women and wants each customer to happy. My wife has several of her designs and love to visit with her when she is at a faire when we are. She will help you.
Rhys Coch

Betty Munro

I agree, we really need pictures to know how to best assist. 

From my mind's image of your description, and that you stated the cups are not boned, the garments have no actual support, so if they are worn without a bra (or breast implants) that things will just fall where gravity takes them.  That's not the look we're shooting for in a corset.  A corset should shape and support.  Either it is too big for you, or it needs boning.  If the manufacturer is willing to make alterations to fit you, by all means, that is (hopefully) the least complicated solution.

If you want to cut it to make it an underbust, put it on and mark where you want to cut, then as suggested above, snip snip and bind the edges with bias tape.  It's almost as simple as it sounds.