News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Selling your creations online

Started by LadyStitch, September 02, 2011, 09:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

If this isn't the area to post this feel free to move it. I just need some clear answers and this is the best group I know to ask.

Recently the PP and I have started making items to sell. The PP now has an online Etsy store called "Biker Pope Puppets".  He is selling his custom hand made puppets. At the momment he doesn't have alot of stock but he is working on that.   He also has started making custom props for people.  For example he made a nice replica of Thor's hammer as part of a local comic book store's movie promotions for the movie.  He has also made really nice small tresure chests, and full body B movie style 'monster'  costumes for our local theater.

Given my sewing talents I'm thinking of making a store where I can sell some of my custom work.  I've got kids items, renn, dance, theatrical, cos play, holiday you name it I can and have made it.

What are some of the guidlines I need to follow in order to sell my work?  Some one mentioned I had to use my own patterns. What did they mean by that.  Since I do heirloom, one of kind kids work do I have to follow the kid's safety guidelines?   Any advise or information would be appreciated.  I've tried asking in other sewing groups but all I get from them has been 'buzz off'.  can my fellow sewing rennies help me with this?
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

isabelladangelo

By your own patterns they mean did you draft/drape/make the patterns completely yourself? If not, then you can't sell based on most major pattern companies copyrights.  And yes, they will totally go after you.   This is a very common "I can sew!  Therefore I can sew for other people!" type of mistake that is made.

The whole kids thing varies from state to state -and country to country.  Don't forget, this is the World Wide Web.  You will have to deal with customers from other countries.  This is probably the reason most people are less than helpful -that and there are a LOT of crafting sellers out there already.

LadyStitch

The PP makes all his own patterns, and I drape my own patterns for all the puppets clothing, so he should be fine on his end.

On my end it may be tricky.  I can draft my own patterns, no problem.  But I was curious  if I use say Butterick patter XX001 as my basic drafting block.  From that block  I adapt it to make what ever outfit I choose to do.  Since the actual 'design' of the item is mine, I could sell it. 

As for kids items I always knew it was tricky with them.  I may just have to make it as a by commision/ contract site.  You hire me for my labor, but the design and such is the person who hire's me's perogative.  I'll just have a portfolio of my work out there should someone like what I can do. That may be my only option.

It just irks me, all I wanted was someone to answer some simple questions and they slammed the door in my face.  90% of the time I'm already under contract for theatrical  work so selling of personal designs are limited, but they do happen. I just needed some information.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

isabelladangelo

Quote from: LadyStitch on September 02, 2011, 10:17:24 AM
The PP makes all his own patterns, and I drape my own patterns for all the puppets clothing, so he should be fine on his end.

On my end it may be tricky.  I can draft my own patterns, no problem.  But I was curious  if I use say Butterick patter XX001 as my basic drafting block.  From that block  I adapt it to make what ever outfit I choose to do.  Since the actual 'design' of the item is mine, I could sell it. 

As for kids items I always knew it was tricky with them.  I may just have to make it as a by commision/ contract site.  You hire me for my labor, but the design and such is the person who hire's me's perogative.  I'll just have a portfolio of my work out there should someone like what I can do. That may be my only option.

It just irks me, all I wanted was someone to answer some simple questions and they slammed the door in my face.  90% of the time I'm already under contract for theatrical  work so selling of personal designs are limited, but they do happen. I just needed some information.

Nope, you can't use the Butterick as a base pattern in any way, shape, or form.  It needs to be wholly your own creation.   

I've been thinking of revamping and starting to sell my own stuff again.   I'm just going basic -chemises, surcotes, tunics, ect- for a lot of reasons.  One is that I had a lot of issues with people that weren't local before.  Turns out, the average person cannot measure themselves correctly -at all.   And then they get mad at you for it not fitting...  With the looser stuff, this isn't an issue.  So keep that in mind too.

Stasiakatt

About.com has some articles about selling handmade items, crafts, some on knitted/crocheted  clothing, so they have some links to various US laws about labeling requirements and copyright laws.
Another thing is to ask around and see if any friends know anyone, like a business lawyer, who maybe able to answer your questions or at least tell you where the answers might be found.

ArielCallista

When it comes to making your own patterns...theoretically if no one can figure out what the hell base pattern you used cuz its been so frankensteined no one is going to do anything about it. But legally speaking its not ok...my suggestion is to figure out your own basic block and use it instead...honestly its not hard to do...any patternmaking for fashion design type of book will have the directions in it...also it will usually contain a chart of sizes and measurements that you can use for those blocks...usually mens, womens, and childrens measurements...and also directions on grading...so once you've made it once it isnt hard to grade up...You CANNOT get in trouble for using these directions because EVERYONE who makes patterns uses these directions...pattern companies themselves as well as every single clothing company anywhere...

Also for childrens stuff...if you sell on etsy and put in the description whether or not it is up to code for children, customers cannot sue you for selling something possibly dangerous to their child...cuz you told them up front and they ignored it, basically
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.