News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

(Not Fest Related) - Hoop Skirt not sitting properly!

Started by Naween, July 28, 2011, 10:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

What about removing some of the rigid structure in front, so there's nothing to push forward? Replace it with oodles of tulle/crinoline, etc, as Adriana suggested, to give the desired "oomph" without the structural issues?

QuoteYou and your sister are the only ones who know it will be a tad limp.

QFT. Your guests (and your fiance!) will be completely overawed by your beauty and the sumptuousness of your gown; there is NO WAY they will ever even notice that there's something "wrong" with it. 

...And 15 years from now, when you look at the photos, neither will you. Promise.  (I hated my headpiece/veil with a white hot passion, but it looks beautiful to me now.)

HAVE A FANTASTIC WEDDING!! 

PS--When I got married, I was adamant about not stressing over the details (which I am usually a master of! Give me a detail, and I will stress that baby into the ground. LOL). If anyone came to me with the slightest hint of worry or trouble in their voice, I would firmly say: "As long as Milord and I are married at the end of this day, it will be perfect. Nothing else matters."  Everything else is just frosting.

Anna Iram

Did you try the weights in the front of the hoops? I have read a blog or two where that worked. Test it out by pinning something weighted in and if it works it's a simple fix. If not.....

Echoing what the others have said. You're getting married tomorrow!   :) :) :) You'll be walking down the aisle in a beautiful gown your sister made,  surrounded by family and friends who love you and toward a new beginning with the man of your dreams. Many happy wishes.  :)

Once Debauched

This is worse than a soap opera - DID SHE MAKE IT WORK????

*bites nails*
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

Adriana Rose

Once Debauched

I just found this thread tonight and it was like reading a book where the last few pages had been ripped out.

I NEED to know!!
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

Kate XXXXXX

Quote from: Naween on August 10, 2011, 06:21:24 AM
I was using 3/4 in steel strapped from a hardware store.

I would think that might be far too flexible.  This is one of those times when using the real stuff pays.

Betty Munro

Happy Wedding Day.  I hope you got your skirts worked out for the walk down the aisle!

Kate XXXXXX

I missed the actual date for this!  Hope everything went well, and you had a lovely day.

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on August 10, 2011, 05:51:45 AM
Quote from: Naween on August 09, 2011, 11:31:05 PM
Well, think its time to cry and give up on the wedding dress of my dreams (two days til the wedding).

Built an elliptical crinoline cage like the previous poster showed...it too collapsed and swung out under teh weight.

:'(

What did you use for hooping?  You need heavy gauge flat steel hoop boning.
Is this what you mean?
http://store.corsetmaking.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BN-HBP12&Category_Code=HB&Product_Count=1
I'm planning to make a short bustle, and an elliptical cage crinoline.

Kate XXXXXX

Naween

Hi Ladies,

Sorry for the delay in posting!
We got married, then left the next day (afer finishing cleaning up the hall) for europe! We spent the first days in munich, then took the night train to rome! Tomorrow we finish rome then head to venise, so its been busy!

So heres the "last page" you are waiting for.

The hoop skirts continued to collapse.
I built a cage crinoline, it too collapsed.
I tried taking out the top hoops, but then the bottom ones distorted.
I tried weighting the front, but the back still weighed too much.

My sister and i had a crying fit because she wanted me to love my dress, and i REALLY wanted that pouf in order to love it.
We both went home in tears, and i stayed up til 3am working on one last idea.
I went to bed at 3am, then woke up at 6am to finish the idea.
I had to sacrifice the cage crinoline that had half worked, so if this idea didnt work i was fumbled.
9am ...still wasnt built, so called my dad crying and asking for help.
10am, my idea was working, i swear it was! Dad called me back, and i cabbed to my sisters where he met me. I showed him my prototype, and we tried it on the dress - it workd!
then we spent the next 5 hrs refining it, using more steel strapping, rivets, and yes, duct tape. Oh, and crazy carpet......"crazy carpet" because our word for the day....

So yes, IT WORKED!!! Ill post a pic later when i have one, as i dont have one on me right now, but basically it looks like a very big beetle-shaped cage that straps to my back, over my butt, and has ALOT of strength! It barely bends under all the beads and lace of my dress! And it MOVED soooooooo well when i danced! It was georgeous!!!

I have to search for a pic of the back of my dress (it slayers  of pouf, pleats, lace, and roses!!!), but here is a pic of us all just outside the church. No, we did not have a theme wedidng, just outfits that me and j loved. The girls in victorianesque bustle back dresses, myself in my giant-butt monstrosity :D, and J in a 1730's justaucorps/frock coat.

My twin sister made ALL of the outfits you see here, except the mens rented tailcoats. YES, she even made J's. I designed the embroidery on my dress (it has birds, for my nickname of 'birdie', roses for my love of them, and my and js initials in the center of the bodice.)

So there you have it! A happy ending, and hope you all enjoy! Ill post more pics of the back of the dress, and close up of my bodice when i get them from the photog!

mehan

Good googlymoogaly!!!! That is beyond fantabulous! 

Please yes, post more pics - but until then enjoy what sounds to be a fantastic honeymoon.

Anna Iram

Oh Wow! You all look so awesome. What a fun wedding. So glad to hear you found a way to make it work. Hahaha...love the duct tape. :)

Naween

i got a pic from the photog of the back....angle doesnt do it justice, the back sticks out at least two feet from my back!

Kate XXXXXX

Glad you got it all to work.  And you know what they say about duct tape...  It's like The Force: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together!  ;)

You all look fab.  LOVE the mix of historic styles, and the bridesmaids dark green dresses.  Yours looks amazing.