News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

'DA VINCI' PREQUEL BARRED FROM FILMING in Churches

Started by willin, June 17, 2008, 10:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willin

'DA VINCI' PREQUEL BARRED FROM FILMING in churches

Rome's diocese yesterday barred the producers of "Angels & Demons" from filming in two churches for the prequel to "The Da Vinci Code," the popular book and film that angered many Catholic leaders. Producers of the film, directed by Ron Howard and starring Tom Hanks, were turned down because the movie "does not conform to our views," said Monsignor Marco Fibbi, a spokesman for the diocese. The crew had asked to film in the churches of Santa Maria del Popolo and Santa Maria della Vittoria, two architectural jewels in the heart of Rome that include paintings by Caravaggio, sculptures by Bernini and a chapel designed by Raphael. Permission was denied in 2007, but the issue surfaced only now that filming is ongoing in Rome, Fibbi said. "It's a film that treats religious issues in a way that contrasts with common religious sentiment," Fibbi said.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080617/news_lz1n17pubeye.html
GOT FEET ?

Morgan Dreadlocke

If Opie can't overcome this, he doesn't stand a chance of filmin' The Satanic Verses. ;D
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

Thistle

Well, to be honest it's understandable.

I mean, if someone wanted to film a movie about how my father was really a psychotic killer and my mother a bank robber, I don't think I'd be too keen on renting the old homeplace to 'em to do it.

The issue of what's appropriate and just plain good manners within a place of worship aside, why on earth should I expect a person to accomodate someone else essentially defaming their character to the world?

I don't expect the folks running the Ka'bah to let someone in to film a movie about Mohammad's brigandry, and saying the Black Stone is just a stupid meteorite.
I don't expect the folks running the local synagogue to let someone in to make "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" into a movie.
I don't even expect the Wiccans to let their local TV newsies in to make some kind of hyped spoooooooky fluff piece over their Samhain festival next Halloween.

So why one earth should we be surprised or upset when the Church says no to helping along a film basically calling them all liars or fools?

Noble Dreg

Thistle who put words to what I could not express...well said.
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

groomporter

Ya gotta wonder though if it won't also encourage the conspiracy nuts who actually believe the da Vinci Code is true
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Tom

Quote from: groomporter on June 18, 2008, 08:18:36 AM
Ya gotta wonder though if it won't also encourage the conspiracy nuts who actually believe the da Vinci Code is true

You mean it's not true!?!  :o
Thanks,

Tom

A.K.A. - Lady Serenas husband

Lady Christina de Pond

Quote from: tletourneau on June 18, 2008, 09:28:43 AM

see it's already started  :P
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

LadyStitch

I can understand their point of view but can they argue how much tourist $$$ the Da Vinci code brought in ?  Or the places mentioned/shown in the movies didn't get more attention by tourists thanks to it? 

Some one once said that any publicity good or bad is good for buisness.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Count Adolfo

They can't prove it is...
they can't prove it isn't...
who knows?  ???

festmum

Interesting.  I just finished reading all 4 of Dan Brown's books.  Last one happened to be Angels & Demons.

IMHO
I don't see anything defaming to the Catholic Church in the book myself at least nothing out of the ordinary that we hear on a day to day basis anyway.  As for the plot/motive.  It ends up a crazy man utilizing religion as an excuse for his actions.  That is no different than anything in real life today.

Having said all that, as a person who has had the film industry in her home shooting, I would be opposed to them utilizing such places strictly for the fact that such a beautiful place can be damaged by careless workers.  With priceless pieces of art inside, I think the Church is wise to not allow them to film within.  Besides, Hollywood has some amazing set builders and artists.  Take pics, build a set in the back lots!!!

In the meantime, I'll be saving my pennies to see the final work!

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

What he said... :o
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Sir William Marcus

Quote from: LadyStitch on June 18, 2008, 11:46:52 AM
I can understand their point of view but can they argue how much tourist $$$ the Da Vinci code brought in ?  Or the places mentioned/shown in the movies didn't get more attention by tourists thanks to it? 

Some one once said that any publicity good or bad is good for buisness.

Just one of those places is 'Rosslyn

Thank you...Thank you very much!
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.