News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Attached to my belt?

Started by BlueCaraway, July 29, 2011, 07:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueCaraway

Last year I bought a few accessories to hang from my belt, specifically a fan and a bosuns whistle. Unfortunately even though they both have loops to hang from unless I thread them on my belt  they're useless. I really don't want to have to unhook my belt every time I get hot and want my fan. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shae

Rogue Hidesmith

Could you post pictures?

Sight unseen, it shouldn't be difficult to make or have someone make frogs for your accessories. A normal mug frog would likely do:

Here's the mug strap I make for my business, the pictures should be self explanatory but the gist is that the belt goes through the back loop (which is fixed) and the cording which loops around the front concho is removable so you can secure your item.

If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

BlueCaraway

Up top you can see the belt I wear, and I'm thinking of replacing the tassel with a ribbon.

Rogue Hidesmith

Yeah, I think a couple of modified mug frogs would work great for you. For the whistle, you may even look into what's called a wand sheath, basically a narrow scabbard or pouch just for that item:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erdufylla/2141064149/
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Rowan MacD

I agree that you should replace that fan tassel with a sturdier cord, ribbon or a leather thong; that flimsy cord is not designed to hang the fan from, only for decoration. Hopefully that hole is big enough to accommodate a larger string.   

The good 'ol all purpose mug strap is the way to go to hang stuff from your belt.   I have at least 5, and I use them for whips, string purses, fans, even parasols.  They are probably the single most useful item of garb (besides a belt) I will ever own.
   I prefer the snap type, but I also have ones with metal buttons (see above) or horn for my peasant garb.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

arbcoind

I have a mug frog almost exactly as shown in Rogue's pic.  You could hang both your fan and whistle from just one.  They are extremely easy to use.  Thread it onto your belt and then attach your items to the frog.

Gina

Anna Iram

You could remove the tassel and replace it with a metal ring. Any hobby shop will have a good selection of decorative findings. Then get some cording or ribbon, something in keeping with your character's finances, and hang it from the belt. Make it long enough and you can use the fan while still attached. No need to untie it. The whistle could hang from round your neck to keep it handy as an alternative to the belt.

DonaCatalina

My fans look like these. They hang from cord made out of multiple ribbons that is about 18" long. That allows me to use the fan without ever detaching it.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

April Marie

Quote from: DonaCatalina on July 29, 2011, 11:49:21 AM
My fans look like these. They hang from cord made out of multiple ribbons that is about 18" long. That allows me to use the fan without ever detaching it.

OMG those are soooo gorgeous!

gem

I'm with Dona C. You need longer ribbons on your fan, like these:

Sometimes I find that that much ribbon is cumbersome (ie, I'd like the fan to hang a little closer to my knee/thigh), so I just loop and tuck until it's comfortable, but the fan is still accessible and usable.

Captain Teague

The Code is the Law...

gem

Well, in period, people didn't wander about with everything but the kitchen sink attached to their belts like we do at fair! So there isn't really a "period correct" way to go about this, per se. Portraits, even of working folk, don't show them loaded down with all their belongings--usually just a purse and/or knife/sword for men, and ONE of the following for ladies: fan OR chatelaine OR prayer book OR pomander, etc, would be sufficient (no cups/mugs/goblets).

Anna Iram

Lord Dragon, my pirate Deadeye Rose wears a big ring of keys! They really are fun 'cause they jangle when you walk. :)

You know, I assumed Blue Carraway was a pirate because of the bosun whistle. Possibly the link Lord Dragon posted would look great. I kind of like the metal clip. That's assuming her pirate is more on the rougher side and not into fancy ribbons.

Captain Teague

Quote from: gem on August 02, 2011, 03:43:58 PM
Well, in period, people didn't wander about with everything but the kitchen sink attached to their belts like we do at fair! So there isn't really a "period correct" way to go about this, per se. Portraits, even of working folk, don't show them loaded down with all their belongings--usually just a purse and/or knife/sword for men, and ONE of the following for ladies: fan OR chatelaine OR prayer book OR pomander, etc, would be sufficient (no cups/mugs/goblets).

Very good point. I was just trying to avoid the few around here who have a penchant for correct things. They often carry historically correct torches and pitchforks.  ;)
The Code is the Law...

Anna Iram

Now what I see are some members with an incredible amount of knowledge  who want to share. Don't think I've ever seen anyone get torched in the process. ;)

Looking forward to seeing what Blue Caraway decides to do. :)

Butch

I'd recommend putting the whistle around your neck.  A longer cord, or even a piece of knotwork if you're going for a seafarer's look.

The fan would need a longer thong or ribbon.  Why couldn't you thread the ribbon behind your belt and secure it to itself (the dangling end of the ribbon) using a slipknot?

BlueCaraway

Less rough and tumble, more beach bum pirate. I like the idea of a long leather cord to hang my fan from, I'm less likely to put it down and walk away that way.