News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tartanic?

Started by darkranger, July 30, 2011, 07:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

MiRF still has an amazing range of performers, you may just have to find some new favorites:)

Adrian

No Mirth at MiRF – PA Picks Pipers
by Adrian Walter

Better late than never, I say, despite the need to get this news blog out more than two months ago.  In that time, we have added to our upcoming studio album (to hopefully be released this fall) in the heat of AZ, witnessed the national-news making dust storm that rolled across Phoenix in the blistering 118°F heat, busked on the streets of Mesa and Scottsdale for grocery money, hosted bagpipe/beats/beer bashes with bikini contests at 3 pubs and hosted a record-breaking concert at the esteemed Irish Cultural Center of AZ; only to have a week and a half to make it north of Chicago to perform two weekends at Bristol in Wisconsin, then high-tail it out of town and head East of Lake Michigan—to break new ground in our effort to make a better world for bagpipes—and bring better bagpipes to the world.

Michigan, your festival, highland games, recording studios, bars (bikini bars included), arts festivals, dirty shows, urban spelunking, don't even scratch the surface of the deep personal relationships with friends and some brand-new families we have come to know and love and "grow up" with.  Tartanic started this love affair in 2004 coming as a one-weekend guest artist for Highland Weekend.  Since then, through partial weekend contracts, and finally garnering a full-run in 2007 at the gracious behest of Entertainment Director Maria Christian; our friends/fans/family in Michigan supported us to the point of headlining the oldest-running Highland Games in the USA—twice!  Uncivilized and Unleashed were recorded at Pearl Sound Studios in Canton.  The art for the latter and for Unavoidable was all shot in Detroit, at First Presbyterian Church (Now Ecumenical Theological Seminary) and in the abandoned train station, respectively.  Not to leave out the cover shot for Unavoidable; which was shot at the beauty supply store in Redford at Plymouth and Telegraph.  Four amazingly talented bagpipers we have had the honor of working with are from Michigan--including our current Master Piper, Scott MacLeod, from Traverse City.  The support has been very real, and your support brought us back to the World Steam Expo for the past two years.

Michigan is magic.  It was my decision to take an offer I could not refuse this year to perform at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Festival.  It was a very difficult decision to make.  Please understand, I have a responsibility to all band-mates and to Tartanic LLC.  Pennsylvania has gone out on a limb to invite us to perform.  Tartanic will be exposed to a whole new market, a region of the USA we have never been to before and saying "No," is not something Tartanic is very good at doing.  The decision has little to do with money.  We have stuck by Michigan in tough times, and stayed on despite budget cuts, working our way up through the ranks to grace the Green Grove stage. 

We are all trying something new, and urge our fans not to fear a little change.  We have been through so much together.  It is important to realize that MiRF management has always been good to Tartanic—even dealing with the difficulty of the decision to take advantage of this new opportunity.  That being said, PLEASE do not send nasty-grams to the office.  Kathy Parker, MiRF's General Manager always does her best for us and for the festival.  Filling her inbox with emails that begin with the letters "WTF" would in no way be deserved.  We have every intention of returning... no bridges have been burned between anyone involved.  I humbly ask for your understanding and support as we try to do what is best or all our artists and their families this season.  If you would like to send emails in support, let MiRF know you will keep coming to the festival, as they try their best every year to provide the best darn festival Michigan has.  To further show support, feel free to email/Facebook/Tweet the World Steam Expo for 2012, as we are more than available and would like to return for a third season.  Performing in Dearborn would give us all a chance to reconnect, share the music, and spread the love we have always gotten back ten-fold.  Thank you with all my heart for sticking with Tartanic and staying tuned....

kcdcchef

Adrian you are at PARF this year????????? YES!!!!!!!!!!! SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was introduced to you your first time you ever did the KCRF, since that is my home faire. However I live in PA so I make it to Lancaster one weekend a year. Closing weekend, will you be there?

Margaret

Quote from: Adrian on August 12, 2011, 01:25:17 PM

We are all trying something new, and urge our fans not to fear a little change.  We have been through so much together.  It is important to realize that MiRF management has always been good to Tartanic—even dealing with the difficulty of the decision to take advantage of this new opportunity.  That being said, PLEASE do not send nasty-grams to the office.  Kathy Parker, MiRF's General Manager always does her best for us and for the festival.  Filling her inbox with emails that begin with the letters "WTF" would in no way be deserved.  We have every intention of returning... no bridges have been burned between anyone involved.  I humbly ask for your understanding and support as we try to do what is best or all our artists and their families this season.  If you would like to send emails in support, let MiRF know you will keep coming to the festival, as they try their best every year to provide the best darn festival Michigan has.  

I am sorry we won't be seeing you at MIRF this year, but good luck in PA!  Bring the cult of sexy men in kilts!   ;D

This is the part of your blog that I hope people really pay attention to.  Also the part that this was a business decision on your part.  Sure we'd love to see you, but if you have the opportunity to increase the exposure of your band in to other markets, that is a big no brainer kind of decision.

Sometimes we all get caught up in the idea that this is "Our Faire".  *er*  Not so much.  At the end of the day, it is a business and decisions have to get made based on what is best for the businesses concerned.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

darkranger

Pathfinder,,FOKTOP

Margaret

Oh, I agree it's still a bummer.  I will miss Tartanic as well.

What I DO NOT disagree with is people spreading rumors and gossip about why Tartanic is not returning.  All I have heard on some other forums is:  "MIRF sucks!  They are so cheap!".  "MIRF is ruining OUR FAIRE!".  Also the stories of Kathy Parker getting sent emails and such calling her many rude things.  That is the kind of crap that needs to stop. 

And before it gets said - I am not accusing anyone here of the above actions.

So, no Tartanic this season.  Just gives me a reason to go and listen and see other acts and bands.   ;D

Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Betty Munro

I was curious about what a Tartanic was and read the thread.  Any group with that much passion in response to losing them at their fair prompted me to check them out on youtube.  If you need to get your Tartanic fix, there are a good number of performances currently available.  Now, I just have to figure out how to convince these guys to come to my new faire in Florida ...

Village Idiots - Kevin

New faire in Florida? Hello...when, where, and do you have a website?
Kevin Starnes
Artistic Director
The Village Idiots
http://www.rennieidiots.com

Betty Munro

Oh, no, I am sorry, that was a confusing way for me to phrase my comment.  My home fair is MD, so now that I am in FL, the fair that is new to me is FlaRF.  So it would be my new fair ... like buying a used car would make it my new car, but not new, just new to me.
Village Idiots - why does that sound familiar?  Have you been to MD?

Village Idiots - Kevin

Quote from: Betty Munro on August 15, 2011, 03:42:01 PM
Oh, no, I am sorry, that was a confusing way for me to phrase my comment.  My home fair is MD, so now that I am in FL, the fair that is new to me is FlaRF.  So it would be my new fair ... like buying a used car would make it my new car, but not new, just new to me.
Village Idiots - why does that sound familiar?  Have you been to MD?

LOL Ok, that makes sense. It just sounded like you were putting on a new faire down there! We are actually peforming this year at MD for the first time. We've been to Silver Leaf Renaissance Faire, Michigan Renaissance Festival, Kiwanis Medieval Faire, North Carolina Renaissance Faire, and we still have Maryland and King Richard's on the lineup for this year as well.
Kevin Starnes
Artistic Director
The Village Idiots
http://www.rennieidiots.com

RaineDance

Quote from: kcdcchef on August 13, 2011, 12:48:51 AM
Adrian you are at PARF this year????????? YES!!!!!!!!!!! SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was introduced to you your first time you ever did the KCRF, since that is my home faire. However I live in PA so I make it to Lancaster one weekend a year. Closing weekend, will you be there?

No, they won't be there closing weekend. This coming weekend (10/1 - 10/2) is their final weekend in PA before moving on to TX.

kcdcchef

gosh darn the luck, I am in Kansas City this weekend at KCRF. Which, oddly enough, is the first faire I ever saw them at!!!!!