News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Drinking songs

Started by Phillip McGuinness, June 17, 2008, 01:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip McGuinness

I want to add some more drinking songs or other songs about alcoholic beverages to my repertoire. I'm looking for songs that aren't commonly done by other musicians at faires. Any suggestions?
Got any ale?

www.drunknsailor.com

temper

Temper; what makes a good sword, be sure to keep it.

Thistle

The first few that come to mind (aside from the ever-done "Whisky in the Jar") -

Stick to the Craythur (could be very funny acted out)
Brannigan's Special Ale (though I suspect Heather Alexander's fairies would have an ill word with ya for performing it ;) )
Pour Your Brother (ditto the above)
Five Nights Drunk (prolly too bawdy, but leave the last few verses off and its okay for family audiences)

Phillip McGuinness

Quote from: Thistle on June 26, 2008, 12:18:40 AM
Stick to the Craythur (could be very funny acted out)
Brannigan's Special Ale (though I suspect Heather Alexander's fairies would have an ill word with ya for performing it ;) )
Pour Your Brother (ditto the above)
Five Nights Drunk (prolly too bawdy, but leave the last few verses off and its okay for family audiences)

I know variations on "Stick" and "Five Nights" already, but they're exactly the sort of songs I'm looking for. Ones that are very clearly about alcohol and not already performed by every musician out there. :)

And yes, since I'm looking to perform these songs it's probably best if I stick with traditional and other public domain songs. Or maybe I should just start writing my own. :-\
Got any ale?

www.drunknsailor.com

Sir Gawain

Johnny Tarr? or has it been done to death?

Robert Phoenix

My favorite band Barleyjuice has got alot of good drinking songs
www.barleyjuice.com
Check out -Whiskey-Bailey's Guinness and
Whiskey to the Sea

Sir William Marcus

Just to name a few,  Dropkick Murphys and the Flogging Mollys come to mind.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Sandman

Hmmm... to go on the Dropkick Murphys tangent, the song "Barroom Hero" comes to mind.
"All of you who dare live free, combine with us upon the sea."

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

Check out Ben Backstay, a true period song,( 1780 or so) about a bosun who gets drunk, falls overboard, gets his head bit off by a shark ,  his ghost appears and admonishes the crew to "never mix your rum me lads, but allways take it neat."
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Phillip McGuinness

Quote from: Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter on October 08, 2008, 11:22:24 AM
Check out Ben Backstay, a true period song,( 1780 or so) about a bosun who gets drunk, falls overboard, gets his head bit off by a shark ,  his ghost appears and admonishes the crew to "never mix your rum me lads, but allways take it neat."
Perfect! I love it! I shall start learning it immediately. Thanks!
Got any ale?

www.drunknsailor.com

Tammy

Well, I'm not sure if this will help you but...the Renaissance Festival Podcast # 100 is the Anniversary Beer and Wenches Special. Some interesting songs for sure!!
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Katarsa

Charlie Mopps!! It's a ballad about the man who invented beer that the most awesome of our group members knows. Hilarious and very fun.

http://www.irishsongs.com/lyrics.php?Action=view&Song_id=34
-Katarsa-