News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Blackbeard's Bronze Cannon

Started by Welsh Wench, August 05, 2011, 10:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh Wench

From lead QAR Conservator, Wendy Welsh, "Cannon 25, our only bronze gun which has a wrought iron yoke, is now out of electrolytic treatment, dry and looking good!!!!!! Super Super DAY......"- Congrats to the Conservation Team!

Cannon 25 encased in concretion....

Cannon 25 after being excavated from concretion, prior to electrolytic treatment of wrought iron yoke....

Cannon 25 wrought iron yoke prior to acidic treatment....

Cannon 25 drying out....

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

NoBill Lurker

That is an amazing transformation!  :o

All the work that went into cleaning and restoring it really payed off!!! ;D
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

DonaCatalina

That is amazing! Thanks for sharing.
I wonder if the people who put so many hours into restoring this cannon are any more amazed than I am at the level of detailing on this bronze cannon. It is a weapon and a work of art.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Welsh Wench

To restore a cannon, it is soaked in a tank of a clear chemical solution while undergoing electrolysis to desalinate the cast iron. I imagine the same process would go for the bronze one.

The process takes from two to five years to remove the concretion which is a build-up of barnacles, shells, sand and anything else that fuses to the artifacts.

One cannon was so encrusted it was nicknamed 'Baby Ruth'!

Pirates Magazine #11 had an EXCELLENT article on the conservation and its processes.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

kcdcchef

Well I have always been fascinated with this stuff. For 26 years now they have been doing it on the stuff from the Titanic. It is so impressive after all these years to see stuff that sat at the bottom of the ocean. Very impressive indeed.