News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

to scots on the forum

Started by Seanfromscotland, June 17, 2008, 01:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanfromscotland

Are there any scots in the forum.? If there are will you be attending the tartan army gathering on the 29th june http://wonderful-moments.com/mysharedaccounts/tartanarmy/

Scotsman

Yes, there are Scots here, I will not be in Scotland at that time ... my next visit is Spring 2009.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Seanfromscotland

Where in scotland are you originally from scotsman, what team do you suport?. please dont say rangers.

Angus

Yes, I am a "Scot" and no I'm not attending...
Chief cook, and bottle washer...

Seanfromscotland

Quote from: Angus on June 17, 2008, 09:52:09 PM

Why did you put scot in inverted commas. ?

Moderator edited for content

groomporter

Quote from: Seanfromscotland on June 18, 2008, 07:20:30 AM
Quote from: Angus on June 17, 2008, 09:52:09 PM

Why did you put scot in inverted commas. ?

Well, the vast majority of the forum members here are in the U.S.

Some of the "Scots" here also probably have no Scottish heritage, but are merely actors who portray Scottish characters at their local Renaissance Fair, or may have a "Scottish" persona with the Society of Creative Anachronism, or a historical reenactment group.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

SirRichardBear

The Tartan Army is an international org for the support of Scotland National Football Team i.e.  national soccer team.  There are chapters in some ten countries from Estonia to the USA to  Australia and New Zealand.   Literally cover the globe east to west.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Julianne

As long as the discussion in this thread is about the Festival event that the Tartan Army is sponsoring then please feel free to continue.

All sport topics should continue in Mundane Topics for future reference.

Scotsman

Quote from: Julianne on June 18, 2008, 08:30:14 AM
All sport topics should continue in Mundane Topics for future reference.

I indeed agree!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Seanfromscotland

Seeing that football was played in the renassaince period. I think its a valid topic. ;)

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/200801071005/history/worlds-oldest-football-fit-for-a-queen.html

groomporter

That's true, there were games that are considered the ancestors to modern football/soccer, but they're probably correct in that the -modern- sport/fan base is probably better discussed in the Mundane Topics area.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Julianne

SHAZAM!  Thank you John!

*cough-cough*

Okay now that the dust has settled and the trash has been taken out, we can all now return to being the happy celts that we are.
;)

(Blimey! You'd think a self proclaimed "true Scot" would know better then to ire a Scotswoman!)

Angus

I am a true "Scot"...

I put quotations around the word Scot as I can trace my family back through England to Scotland almost 1100 years, yet I am an American. 

I am directly related to Sir Christopher Hatton, (along with 12,000+ other folk.)  yet, I was born in Kentucky, not Scotland...

I was not placing any disparity upon the word "Scot"...
Chief cook, and bottle washer...

Julianne

Absolutely Angus!!! :)

In my experience, The Scottish-Americans know their ancestry; have traced their lineages and have documentation supporting their Scottish ancestral lines.

My lines include several Clans and Septs.  As such I consider myself too a "true Scot".
Muchmoreso then any English ...uh...infiltration...in the dna. ;)

Seanfromscotland

It should be noted that the scots are not a racial group, the scots are part of the northern european racial group. Ethnically the scots are made up of many northern europan groups, scandanavian, anglo saxon, germanic, pictish, iberian, etc etc.