News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Patron or Playtron?

Started by Tamtaro, August 07, 2011, 09:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcdcchef

Quote from: Tamtaro on August 13, 2011, 12:25:05 PM

KCRF does seem to be one of the big ones.  I wonder how it really compares: visitors/acreage.  Do you know of any weblink that would have the info?

right here at renfest.com there is a listing of all faires size in acreage, stages, and attendance. I think kcrf ranks like 7th or something in the nation, which is pretty impressive. we lag behind MNRF, TRF, among others. What is most impressive is the size of kcrf's attendance in comparision to other faires that have 12 weekends to out 7. PARF springs to mind. They BARELY outdraw KCRF, despite being 13 weekends as opposed to 7.

Rogue Hidesmith

PaRF is also in the middle of Amish country. Not exactly the population you'd see hitting the faire regularly. ;)

Although, they would be great for living history  ;D
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

kcdcchef

Quote from: Rogue Hidesmith on August 14, 2011, 07:04:09 AM
PaRF is also in the middle of Amish country. Not exactly the population you'd see hitting the faire regularly. ;)

Although, they would be great for living history  ;D

true, but they are also within an hour of this sleepy little town called philadelphia. and the place is friecken huge. i hate that they paved it though.

Rogue Hidesmith

I had never been there prior to the paving so I don't have an opinion on it one way or another :)
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

kcdcchef

Quote from: Rogue Hidesmith on August 14, 2011, 08:24:46 PM
I had never been there prior to the paving so I don't have an opinion on it one way or another :)

Have you been to festivals that arent paved? That would give you an opinion!

Alysea

I don't think I would like pavement. It would take away from the feeling of faire.
Lady Alysea
Baroness of Delfinhal
Protector of Our Majesties Dolphins

Rogue Hidesmith

Quote from: kcdcchef on August 14, 2011, 11:44:43 PM
Have you been to festivals that arent paved? That would give you an opinion!

Yep, I've been to MDRF which isn't and NYRF which is only partially paved. It still doesn't matter to me. Actually, the only ground cover I hated was at this 1-season-wonder called Medieval Majesty which covered the entire grounds in gravel. Now that was a pain in the weed puller to walk on!
IBRSC #1603

Tamtaro

I bet you burn some serious calories walking in gravel!  I don't think I'd like paved either.  I guess it would make it nicer for some of the folks with strollers & wheelchairs.  KC strikes a pretty good balance.  Colorado had some foriegn material down...I think it was what they call "pine needles" and "Colorado awesomeness!" ;D

kcdcchef

Quote from: Tamtaro on August 16, 2011, 10:08:25 PM
I bet you burn some serious calories walking in gravel!  I don't think I'd like paved either.  I guess it would make it nicer for some of the folks with strollers & wheelchairs.  KC strikes a pretty good balance.  Colorado had some foriegn material down...I think it was what they call "pine needles" and "Colorado awesomeness!" ;D

back in the day PARF was identical to KCRF in terms of walking material. KCRF is my favorite festival in the world regarding the walkways.

Tamtaro

I still haven't hemmed my skirt...  maybe I'm sabbotaging my inner playtron??
Do you guys make your own stuff?  I mean, 60 bucks ducats (I know it's not accurate, but I like the word ;D) for a skirt (or pants for you guys out there)?  But I'm beginning to see why - it's a pain in the patootie to make it myself!!

Tamtaro

Quote from: kcdcchef on August 16, 2011, 10:20:44 PM
back in the day PARF was identical to KCRF in terms of walking material. KCRF is my favorite festival in the world regarding the walkways.
And there aren't very many evil hills (except that one leading up from the piratey area to the petting zoo).  eeeeevvvvviiiiiiillllll

Butch

I make all of mine, all of my family's and all of my friends' garb.  What are you trying to do with your skirt hem?  How far along are you?

Tamtaro

Quote from: Butch on August 21, 2011, 01:38:16 PM
I make all of mine, all of my family's and all of my friends' garb.  What are you trying to do with your skirt hem?  How far along are you?
You are awesome!
The skirt is put together except for the hem. The skirt I'm imitating had a sort of rolled hem - it's no more than about two millimeters high (I like it).  I thought about doing a taller folded hem like an inch or inch and a half, but it seems to make the shape stiffer (I don't like it).  The thing that worries me about the rolled hem is that once I cut, it's done.  A bigger hem would give me some leeway to mess up.  So I am frozen by my fear.  I don't have a great mirror & I'm pinning up the hem by myself, so I never feel like it's just right.  Maybe it's simpler than I'm imagining and I simply need a kick in the posterior to get over it and just get it done!   It's just a plain skirt - peasanty-wenchy, so it doesn't need to be perfect, but I don't want it to be lopsided!  Any tips on self hemming for a beginner??  (I may have mentioned before that I thought the reverse button on the machine meant it would take out stitches and undo mistakes...sheesh! :-[)  I am learning!  ;D
Thanks for listening!

Betty Munro

Tamtaro, to avoid a thread jack, I'll pm you my suggestion.

Butch

I also sent a PM.  Good luck!