News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gold coins at Faire

Started by Baron Frederick, August 07, 2011, 04:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Frederick

I was just wondering if the government is still making the gold colored dollar coins? If they are I think I will get some for faire. Is anyone else doing this and what amount do you give to acts?

Baron Frederick
Baron Frederick

SirRichardBear

Yes and Yes and depends on the act and how many times I see them.  At my home faire were I know I'm going to see my favorites every weekend a dollar or two everything time .  If I know I'm not going to see them again then it depends on how many are in the act and how much I enjoyed it.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Sitara

If you decide to do this, please, please, please only use them for tips. As a beer vendor, there are few things more annoying than being handed a pile of those to pay for a groups purchase. They are big, heavy and cannot be put in bank deposit bags.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Adriana Rose

I second that!
They are nice I give them that, but for a merchant they are a pain in the bum! I only have so much space for coins and well I really dont like a fist full of them. For small sales like my roses I really dont mind but bigger than one or two gets annoying.

The Rabbi

Quick question along this line for vendors and actors? How do you feel about Fair created coins that can be exchanged for dollar amount at end of day?
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Delireus

Quote from: The Rabbi on August 07, 2011, 06:02:00 PM
Quick question along this line for vendors and actors? How do you feel about Fair created coins that can be exchanged for dollar amount at end of day?

(I know you only asked about vendors and actors, but as a patron, I love them!  ;D) But, that is a good question for them. I'd imagine it must be tiresome to exchange them at the end of the day.
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

The Rabbi

Forgive me Mylady patrons are always welcome to share thier thoughts how else am I to make improvements.
Proud member of FOKTOP

Merlin the Elder

I'm asking out of need for additional information—not to be argumentative—but what is the problem with the dollar pieces and why would you not be able to put them in a bank bag? I can understand it being a pain in the tush being paid for five beers and getting a fistful of dollars (to "coin" a phrase  ;) )  as using coins in that situation would really serve little purpose.  Is it the weight at closing that's the problem? Would it not help to give them back in change?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

The Rabbi

Many registers are not set up to allow for the extra coinage the extra space is generally reserved for clips needed to organize bills. Then if you do not have the means to roll your change you are faced with more loose coins and seldom do we think of dollar coin wrappers. Giving them as change is an excellent idea.
Proud member of FOKTOP

SirRichardBear

I use them for a couple of reason one is that in tipping it draws more attention and I think encourages the T-shirts and Jeans to Tip something that is not common in a lot of places.  Second they don't blow away in the wind which in Texas can be a bit of a problem.  I don't use them to buy food or beer unless I'm entire out of paper money.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Lady Mac

I don't mind them at all. I wear plenty of pouches that they can fill up, besides they "jingle"
really well if you jump up and down hard enough. Also L'il Mac collects them, especially
the 1st run Washingtons'.

On note with using a faire coin, you would probably run into problems with the souvenir
shop at each faire, unless they got a percentage. Chances are, alot of the coins wouldn't
get cashed in anyways and would go home as momentos.
Lady Mac's Horns, Canes @ Staffs
Every Lord needs a good stick...
Every Lady too.

Butch

Yes, the gov't is still making them.  They have presidents on them now, instead of Sakajewea(sp).

I used them WAY too much last year.  I think this year I will restrict them to tips.

Sitara

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 07, 2011, 07:45:33 PM
I'm asking out of need for additional information—not to be argumentative—but what is the problem with the dollar pieces and why would you not be able to put them in a bank bag? I can understand it being a pain in the tush being paid for five beers and getting a fistful of dollars (to "coin" a phrase  ;) )  as using coins in that situation would really serve little purpose.  Is it the weight at closing that's the problem? Would it not help to give them back in change?

Our bank does not allow coins of any type in our deposit bags. To deposit coinage we are required to be at the bank in person and watch them being counted. In addition, they are heavy and tear the bags. We do indeed give them back in change, but when you have 100+ of them, that only goes so far. Plus, there really is no place to put them in the cash drawer. Last season I almost strangled someone for purchasing $50+ of beer and paying exclusively in coins...twice. I don't know how he didn't tip over from the weight of them on his belt. Having to take the time to count them slows down the line, people are not all that patient when they want a beer.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

renfairephotog

The drawback of the gold coins or any coins is the extra weight. It more stuff to carry after you break down the booth. Our bank won't take coins at the drive-thru. if we coins we have to go inside so it takes more time.

Faire coins are neat cheap souvenirs but as a form of payment I dislike them. It's extra time in line.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Celtic Lady

They are still being made and will continue to be made up to Nixon (I believe. I'll have to check at work). They come in $25 rolls. We use them as tips all the time... not just at faire.

Just a tad bit of info about the reason for the gold dollar coins came to be. The lifespan of a dollar bill is 18 months or so. Once they get to the point where they are so worn they are sent to the feds to be destroyed. Since the gold dollars are made of metal they have a much longer lifespan. Just think of how much money is being wasted with the paper money having to be printed to renew what wore out  :o.