News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gold coins at Faire

Started by Baron Frederick, August 07, 2011, 04:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

We use them for tips and most have said - "cool" (or something like that).

Actually saw a piece on the news the other day that the government has numerous quantities that have not yet been circulated as they have not "replaced" the paper dollar like they thought.  We actaully order new ones from our bank so as to get the nice new shiny ones.

If someone does not want my tip, since it is coinage, then more ale for me  :D
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Interesting points, one and all. The jerk who pays in $50 worth of coin was intentionally being a jerk. I see the drawback at the bank. I remember a time when banks were helpful...it's been a while. Wouldn't it be nice if the faire management would help with coinage!  If they aren't willing, then pay THEIR cut with the coins... THERE'S the solution!  ;D

I actually see some benefit (to the faire owners) of issuing coin of the realm. As someone mentioned, lots of them get taken home as souvenirs.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

The Rabbi

I know that as a fair owner I would gladly help vendors and performers alike in exchanging coinage for paper be it coins of the realm or the dollar coins. I for one think the clink and clatter of coins adds to the ambiance of fair which is very important for a patron. sexondly as Merlin and others have stated coinage of the realm equals a cheap souvineer and increases my profit however I do not feel it should be forced on either the patron or the vendors, performers have a bit less control over tips and I do not have a solution there sorry guys. I also feel that as an owner it is my responsability to limit such coinage to prevent said patron for paying a $50.00 tab with them. Finally as a fair owner I am resposable for assisting my vendors/performers in any way possible and after fair it is much easier for me to set the coins aside for a couple of days before I need to worry about restocking and such which is a concern for vendors. Yes it could become time consuming but it all boils down to happy guest spend money happy vendors look forward to returning next year and also create happy customers. As a fair owner it is my responsability to create a pleasent and enjoyable fair for all and this would be a very small task to take care of in doing so.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Lady Mac

I didn't think about the "breaking down" and "extra weight" and bank issues with gold coins.
Most of them wind up in jugs here and there. But here's another way to look at it; The next
time I have a really, really slow day, when I look at the cash drawer and can't even find
enough profits to go buy a turkey leg. I am going to say to myself, "I am really glad I don't
have a big bag of "government issued, gold coins to walk out of here with today. What a
relief to a bad day."
Lady Mac's Horns, Canes @ Staffs
Every Lord needs a good stick...
Every Lady too.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I want to add, we use them just as tip money, so when I buy a $5 dollar ale, a 1 dollar coin goes in the tip bucket.  Although my young son we give him a bunch and i know he likes buying things with them, not just tips.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Ferret

The person buying $50 worth of drinks, twice. May well have saved his dollar coins through the year to spend at Faire.

He may not have thought it through and converted to paper before hand.

But a customer spending a $100, I wouldn't be calling a jerk.

Ferret

( I used to save $2 bills and Eisenhower dollars for vacation. I stopped because I kept getting back incorrect change in areas where they weren't common )

Bahlien

Well I can see the weight issue being an annoyance at best. But come on really... coins last longer, look cooler... actually feel like they're worth their weight... kinda.  And it is a renaissance festival after all... a "rebirth" of coin usage isn't such a bad thing. Only inconvenient because the means of storing/carrying things that actually weigh something aren't kept around.

And it really gives patrons (the ones who want to) a feel of authenticity when they pay with such coins. If it was all in quarters, nickels and dimes then I would say be as annoyed as you possibly can. Also some fair's (not sure how many or which ones specifically) I know CORF does it... they have prices like 2.25, 3.50, 4.25. So coin is on hand anyway regardless of the fact. Honestly I would prefer that coin to be in whole dollars than in cents. Value to weight ratio makes it worth hauling around, no?

"Always with the negative waves, Always with the negative waves. Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful."

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Ferret on August 08, 2011, 12:38:02 PM
The person buying $50 worth of drinks, twice. May well have saved his dollar coins through the year to spend at Faire.

He may not have thought it through and converted to paper before hand.

But a customer spending a $100, I wouldn't be calling a jerk.

Ferret

( I used to save $2 bills and Eisenhower dollars for vacation. I stopped because I kept getting back incorrect change in areas where they weren't common )
I respect what you're saying, Ferret. But, you weren't holding up long lines of people to count out $100 worth of E-dollars, were you?

Sorry, but I consider anyone who thinks only of themselves as being a jerk. (I freely describe myself as being a curmudgeon from time-to-time, maybe even most of the time.) Spending $100 doesn't forgive a person for being a jerk...although tipping $100 does. If the person heavily tipped after pulling this stunt, I would accept it.

Ferret

There shouldn't have been a hold up.

Person working the booth should know something about counting money. Or practice.

Make the person put their money on the counter, using your index finger and next finger pull two coins at a time into your other hand. 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. to 50. We are talking a process that should have been less than 30 seconds. Way less time then serving the beverages.

And I've seen people use four fingers and thumb and count five coins at a time. Faster than some of the machines that count coins.

Now if the person insisted on counting the coins out one at a time and then the worker had to count them before going into the till, yes then there was a problem and disservice to those waiting behind.

Ferret

Sitara

No, he bought beer for himself and 9 others, paid exclusively in coins and did not tip at all. I feel I had a right to be annoyed. I am a volunteer, I do not get paid except for my tips and he made my day more difficult.

Like I said with my first post, using them for tips is fine, just don't use them to make entire purchases. One or two is not an issue in anyway way, shape or form.

Quote from: Bahlien on August 08, 2011, 01:29:30 PM
Also some fair's (not sure how many or which ones specifically) I know CORF does it... they have prices like 2.25, 3.50, 4.25. So coin is on hand anyway regardless of the fact.  

Our beer prices at MNRF are $4 and $5 even, no coins required.

I didn't mean to sound ungrateful, I was just stating things from my point of view as a beer vendor. Your thoughts may vary on the subject.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Merlin the Elder

hehe...yeah, I'm afraid the art of counting change has hit a snag with the advent of modern cash registers... I went to a local Micky D's last week and handed the cashier a quarter after they had already punched in the $10 (for a $5.18 bill) and gotten the "Change" amount. The person had no clue how to adjust and count the change back, and handed me the quarter back and said, "that will just make it worse." My son was in the van and he started laughing...

Ferret, my friend, you give these people too much credit!  :D  You and I are a dying breed...able to count change!

edit right before posting...
Sitara, you have EVERY right to be annoyed, most ESPECIALLY for the no-tip. As a volunteer, you could not get fired...you should have dissed the jerk.

Ferret

Quote from: Sitara on August 08, 2011, 02:40:23 PM
I didn't mean to sound ungrateful, I was just stating things from my point of view as a beer vendor. Your thoughts may vary on the subject.

You were the person there. And I do respect your view point. And especially as a volunteer, a tip was in order.

Ferret

Ferret

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 08, 2011, 02:47:13 PM
Ferret, my friend, you give these people too much credit!  :D  You and I are a dying breed...able to count change!

Probably why so many cash registers now tell you how much change to give the customer.

I can't believe how many people don't know the basics of money or what makes a dime, quarter, or dollar.

From my business standpoint, a customer brings me money, that is the name of the game. Up to me to deal with it.

I've even had customers come in with a mouthful of change. Have them spit it in a shop towel, clean it later. Make hay while the sun shines.

Ferret

Muffin

What Sitara said... Times 10!!!

While some may think the coins are cool and nifty and period or what have you, they are just plain annoying to the vendors and make for more work than necessary!

A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Tygrkat

I'm glad to know this ~ I was thinking of getting some gold dollar coins specifically to take to Faire, but it sounds like they're more trouble for vendors/merchants than they would be fun for me to use.  ;)
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.