News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gold coins at Faire

Started by Baron Frederick, August 07, 2011, 04:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insidiousraven

I was really excited about getting $10 or $20 in gold coins for fest this year.  It really stinks to see some of the reactions to them.  I mean, they are completely legal tender, and I just figured the people at faire would happily except them for the atmosphere / authentic quality they lend.  I guess convenience wins out every time.   :-\

Butch

I have been bringing them to faire for the last couple of years.  I think I shall restrict their use to tips from now on, based on the comments!

That's what's cool about this forum, there is so much info here to make the experience so much better for all!

OH, and when I go to the Foaming Stein on Labor Day, I will pay in quarters, and not leave a tip!  Mua-ha-ha!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Butch on August 12, 2011, 10:13:55 AM

OH, and when I go to the Foaming Stein on Labor Day, I will pay in quarters, and not leave a tip!  Mua-ha-ha!
:D
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Muffin

Good thing we all have the right to refuse service for any reason!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HA!  ;) :D
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Sitara

Like I said repeatedly now, gold coins are fine, just don't make large purchases with them! $5 and less is no issue!

People here sure do like to get offended lately.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Sitara on August 12, 2011, 12:43:04 PM
Like I said repeatedly now, gold coins are fine, just don't make large purchases with them! $5 and less is no issue!

People here sure do like to get offended lately.

I don't think anyone is offened, at least those of us that use the coin - note the smileys
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lairde Guardn

The reason the pound coin worked in the UK is because when they came out with it, the government pulled all the notes off the market leaving just the coins.......People got over the transition pretty quick as it only took about 6 months for no one to have bills left.    I was living in England at the time, and I am sure the government made a lot of money because many people put away notes to save, frame or pass on in collections.....   The U.S. could take the hint thereby saving the cost of printing bills that only last a few years and having them replaced with the dollar coins.   
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

VIII

I travelled England back in 1994 and was pleasantly surprised that I could pay for a lot of meals with the 'change' in my pocket.  No need to unlimber the ol' wallet!

Canada has 'Loonies' and 'Toonies' (ones and twos) to the same effect.

Those countries (and others, I am sure) are accustomed to receiving coin-o'-the-realm for purchases.  But here in the Colonies, coins are still an inconvenience for larger payments.

If I could recommend: Drop a few coins on the bar for effect, but have a $5, $10 or $20 readily available for the bulk of your purchase (Shop purchases should be in paper or charge).

NOTE: ALL money is covered in filth!  NEVER put money in your mouth and you should WASH YOUR HANDS after handling cash in ANY form!  :P  Love seeing the beer wenches with wet, clean hands!
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Grouser

I really don't have a lot of experience with the gold dollars (can't even remember the last time I saw one) but as I recall, one of the biggest problems with the Suzie B's was that it was really easy to mix up with a quarter when in a hurry or in a dimly lit situation. Is that still a problem or did the Mint get it right with the gold ones?

Ferret

Susan B Anthony and new dollar coins are the same size. Main difference is the color.

The government needed the same size so the vending industry didn't need all new dollar coin mechs.

Ferret

Betty Munro

The gold dollar coins jump out at me, I can't imagine confusing it for a quarter any easier than confusing a nickel for a quarter.
I re-thought the idea of bringing some dollar coins for tips, but I don't want either the performer or other patrons to think I'm tipping a quarter.  I just wouldn't want the performer to think I don't value their performance, and I wouldn't want other patrons to think it would be ok to tip a quarter.
sigh ... I LOVe the authentic feel of the dollar coins, but there seem to be too many possible drawbacks.  Sticking to paper bills this year.

uncletimcobleigh

As a performer, I'm just pleased to get tips, whether paper or coin. The wind doesn't carry way coins, though.

One faire I played at gave out a wooden token with each admission, that was expressly for tipping performers. It was a first year event, and they were trying to encourage the tipping. At the end of the day, we could cash them in for a dollar each. I kept one as a souvenir.

Betty Munro

Oh goodie goodie goodie, on WINDY days I can tip with gold dollar coins in good conscience!

Hoowil

I personally carry cash, as it is lighter, and simper to use. I do give the kids $10 in gold coin for their own personal money, which they may use as they wish. For my daughter it usually ends up being some kind of sweet snack, and the rest is tips. Nothing is quite like a garbed 4 year old tossing gold into the hat, which is why I do it. I like the illusion, especially for the kids' sake, but agree, mass amount of coin suck. I make jokes at work all the time that I'll take coin, beacuse the counter doesn't find it as heavy as a person does. There is enough weight on my belt as it is. If offered it in change, I'll take it however. money is money, and I know how difficult it is for any merchant to get rid of the gold coins, or 50 cent peices. I have had customers at my store decide to cancel their purchase to not get large coins back as change.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.