News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What would you want from ANY festival?

Started by Merlin the Elder, August 07, 2011, 08:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Betty Munro

A children's area (with babysitter) within view of the back seats of the "R" rated shows.

Captain Dungcaster

If the site has to rent portable privies, extra Handicapped Privies would be helpful. Reason being that many of us in garb, particularly the ladies could use the extra space when doing ones business.

Frank Blanton
aka Francis Dungcaster
"Fantasy Football, Dungeons & Dragons for Jocks"
I.B.R.S.C #1068.

Merlin the Elder

Scarborough added lockers a couple of seasons ago, at the front gate, behind the medic.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

The Rabbi

Merlin please forgive me of threadjacking once again but you have started a topic which is of great help to me and one i feel I can ask questions on. Why i do not consider myself a prude i do not truly care for R rated stage shows but prefere PG with inuendos that one must think about. Yes we are all adults but is there anything wrong with PG over R. I also prefere lane acts over stage acts as to paraphrase The world is my stage so why restrict my performers let them play and interact as well. how do you folks feel about limited stage acts and plenty of entertainment?
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Butch

This is from the St Louis RF site about their Friends of the Faire pgm (Les Amis de Lyon):
"Les Amis de Lyon" is a French phrase and it means "The friends of Lyon".

The Les Amis de Lyon program is designed for those who enjoy the Renaissance Faire but also enjoy being pampered and having special privileges.

A special members-only garden has been set aside for your enjoyment and relaxation. Here you will find a changing area, private privies, unlimited non-alcoholic refreshments, fruit, and possibly other special treats. During the run of the Faire there will be special programs that only you have the opportunity to attend. There might even be a special B-B-Q or potluck luncheon from time to time. Our hosts will constantly be looking for ways to make your stay in Lyon more memorable and enjoyable.

Your membership is not just limited to the 4 weeks of the Renaissance Faire, though. As a member you will be notified of happenings throughout the course of the year. It might be a special event, a swap meet, or some other get-together. You will have access to a members-only web forum where you can discuss virtually anything.

In 2006, Renaissance St Louis expanded its operation with the addition of the St Louis Pirate Festival. (Les Amis de Martinique, operates during the annual St Louis Pirate Festival in September) As a member of Les Amis de Lyon you will have the opportunity to join the other "friends" group for just a small additional amount. This upgrade will afford you all the same privileges for this event, too.

Each member will receive a membership card with the dates of membership on it and should submit it upon request. Children under 12 can have access to the garden when accompanied by a paid member at no extra cost.

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: The Rabbi on August 12, 2011, 08:23:44 AM
Merlin please forgive me of threadjacking once again but you have started a topic which is of great help to me and one i feel I can ask questions on. Why i do not consider myself a prude i do not truly care for R rated stage shows but prefere PG with inuendos that one must think about. Yes we are all adults but is there anything wrong with PG over R. I also prefere lane acts over stage acts as to paraphrase The world is my stage so why restrict my performers let them play and interact as well. how do you folks feel about limited stage acts and plenty of entertainment?

Not thread-jacking at all. My initial hope in starting this thread was that festival operators would get curious and peek in to see what people are looking for, and maybe integrate some of it. Bear in mind that we are not the general public, but I truly think that our excitement at faire has a tendency to overflow and draw new people in.

In response to your first question, raunchy is a lot easier to get laughs from. If you haven't watched any kids' movies lately, you should. You'd be amazed at the amount of bathroom humour. I'm not saying I don't enjoy it myself, but I will say that I find older comedy (TV and movies) so much funnier in general to anything I've seen in the past 15 years or more. The only exception that comes to mind is Chicken Run. I laughed myself senseless to that one.

Try watching something from the 40s, 50s, or 60s—Dick Van Dyke Show, The Addams Family, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Philadelphia Story—the only R's in those was in the some of the titles. Good writing, well-executed. You don't WANT it too raunchy starting out...you'll chase away the family business, which is likely to be your bread and butter. When you get bigger, you can add an area for the Sans Crumb-Crusher Crowd.

I hate to admit that I don't watch more stage acts than I do, but you do need some. Folks need a chance to sit, relax, and enjoy. Being on your feet the whole day can get tough. I have a tendency just to walk, stopping at shops and looking at wares. Age is changing that to some degree...

Butch! Thanks for the info on St Louis FoF. I like that garden idea with the private privies and changing area!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Bahlien

Quote from: The Rabbi on August 12, 2011, 08:23:44 AM
how do you folks feel about limited stage acts and plenty of entertainment?

Well stage acts often provide a few things.
1.) Seating. Which is important to do through out the day, especially on hot ones. Sit, rest, laugh and hydrate.
2.) Seating is (usually) accompanied with shade, gets people out of the sun, cools them off, keeps their moods good.
3.) Uncrowded lanes. Shows in the lanes are okay if there is sufficient room. At a more cramped fair or a highly populated one, crowd drawing acts tends to jam things up a little in the lanes. Single short acts or just witty banter from performers excluded. Having stage acts prevents this from happening to much.
4.) Stages with different locations is a good way to get people to see the whole of the fair, instead of just one or two locations. Better business opportunities for the vendors, and even for planned/improved performances on the lanes.
"Always with the negative waves, Always with the negative waves. Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful."

insidiousraven

Things I look for most in a faire are:

• 1. Shady tree covered lanes to walk through
  • 2. More of a food selection than chicken fingers and funnel cakes.  I like original food that I can't get at every carnival.
  • 3. A lot of vendors.  My favorite thing to do at faire is shop. I like a place that has so many vendors I can barely get to them all. It's almost like a bazaar / market feel at KCRF, and I absolutely adore it.
  • 4. I've never experienced a 'friends of the faire' type of pass for playtrons who come often and dress up, but if there was such a thing, I'd gladly shell out for it.
  • 5. Spontaneous lane interaction from the cast. This seems to get the most people involved in the atmosphere, and really can make someone's day. Songs breaking out in pubs, catcalls from the upper levels of the buildings, interactions from wandering cast.  All of that makes a faire a truly magical experience that you can't get anywhere else.
  • 6. Living history.  I don't know that this draws a lot of crowds, but I think having things like a working forge and cast using looms etc. really brings a faire from stationary carnival to historical experience.  We always sit in front of the KCRF forge for at least 45 mins, watching them work.  It's in a high traffic area too, so a lot of people get involved, then ask around for other living history exhibits.  
  • 7. This is definitely not a make it or break it thing... but I love a faire that has actual buildings.  Taverns, squares, shops etc. The more I feel like I am walking around a bustling town, the more magical the experience. That, and buildings make for great rain cover that can still keep you entertained throughout a storm.

If I have at least one of the things listed above, then I am happy.

The Rabbi

Grammerci good Merlin as I must admit to having taken great advantage of the oppurtunity offered here. SoM is held in a very wooded area so shade is covered. While I do not think I will have all the seating I want I too feel the need to sit back and breath in the ambiance of fair. Food dont get me wrong I like my turkey legs and funnel cakes but I too enjoy a more substantive meal be it home made meatpies with veggies included or if someone would be so kind as to provide me information I would also like to indulge any vegans that might attend.( Im a meat and potatoes type of guy but hey to each thier own.) After a discussion with the Redhead we will probably go wit 5 gal jugs of water and make a donation to fill the cup or just fill it no big deal. There will be a small drum circle inside fest grounds for anyone who frrls the need for an inprov sitdown along with a larger drum circle in the camping area. trying to keep the grounds with a natural feel. Working on different ideas and concepts for camping area but we are getting there. Thank you all for such great info.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Cofeeguru

Quote from: The Rabbi on August 13, 2011, 04:47:39 PMAfter a discussion with the Redhead we will probably go wit 5 gal jugs of water and make a donation to fill the cup or just fill it no big deal. There will be a small drum circle inside fest grounds for anyone who frrls the need for an inprov sitdown along with a larger drum circle in the camping area. trying to keep the grounds with a natural feel. Working on different ideas and concepts for camping area but we are getting there. Thank you all for such great info.

I'm going to threadjack your threadjacking, Rabbi for just a moment.  What about possibly contacting a water bottle supply company, and ask if they'd be willing to sponsor your water in return for advertisement, or the ability to hand out pamphlets, etc?  The bottled water company out here in MN does this at our state fair. . .possibly you have one who would do the same for you? /threadjacking ;)

As far as things I'd like to see at fest:

Different/darker/older beer styles.  I'm a beer snob, and wouldn't mind paying a little more for a good barleywine or old style ale.  (I say this while drinking a very tasty maple/birch ale) :)

Cheaper/Free water, as everyone has mentioned here.  It's a must, I agree.

Shade!  I loved Bristol's tree cover; despite the heat it kept me from completely passing out.

Vendor shifting: I know, I know, everyone likes 'their' spots, but rotation will keep repeat customers interested in hunting you out, and might expose customers to a vendor they wouldn't have normally paid attention to.  It keeps people guessing and makes them search more and increase traffic to otherwise underexposed areas.

Allowing hidden fans in stores: again, something I experienced and loved at Bristol.  On hot days, I like being able to duck into a store and get a bit of a breeze while checking out goods.

Straws.  Darn it, I have sensitive teeth and I would really like straws with my drinks.
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;"-T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: insidiousraven on August 13, 2011, 12:36:04 AM
    • 6. Living history.  I don't know that this draws a lot of crowds, but I think having things like a working forge and cast using looms etc. really brings a faire from stationary carnival to historical experience.  We always sit in front of the KCRF forge for at least 45 mins, watching them work.  It's in a high traffic area too, so a lot of people get involved, then ask around for other living history exhibits.  
    • 7. This is definitely not a make it or break it thing... but I love a faire that has actual buildings.  Taverns, squares, shops etc. The more I feel like I am walking around a bustling town, the more magical the experience. That, and buildings make for great rain cover that can still keep you entertained throughout a storm.
    I have to admit to usually not spending all that much time with the living history stuff, but on the other hand, I love it when instead of just demonstrating, the people doing living history teach what their doing. For example, the Germans at BARF teach some basic sword moves, as well as hand to hand combat. And there were ladies at Lady of the Lakes faire that taught finger-weaving. Also, as far as the blacksmiths go, I remember being very pleased that there was one at the Norman Medieval faire in 2009 - it was something like 32 degrees, and very windy, so they provided some nice warmth!

And I love the faires with actual buildings. I know it's not a possibility at a lot of faire sites, but it makes everything feel so much more real.

Another thing I really appreciate is when the games (particularly archery) are a decent price. Archery at Sterling in particular is a really good value, as is (I believe) Lady of the Lakes (though it might have been Sarasota - I can't remember).

Bahlien

Would love to see more Hands-on crafts stuff at faires. How they used to do things vs how things are done now due to technology. There was a blacksmithing group at the CORF this year. Which was awesome to see. They had a propane box-forge going. (think that's what its called?) They enjoyed explaining the processes and various methods of how they did their craft, and had a display of some older tools of the trade. Stuff like that, to me, really adds to the atmosphere. 

But you know what I've never seen at a faire? An obstacle course or something like a gauntlet. Don't know if everyone has seen First Knight (Richard Gere, Sean Connery.) not the best movie but it has an awesome obstacle course thing they called the gauntlet... blades and spinning things and all sorts of obstacle doodads. Not that I'm suggesting that, though something similar and not as blatantly dangerous. Would be a great addition/attraction. Pad up (sign a waver) and then go run through a bunch of foam/padded things try to make it to the end, win a prize, and boasting rights.
    "Always with the negative waves, Always with the negative waves. Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful."

eldatari

BubbleWright

Facetiously, he said, a giant dome, open at the edge, covering the Faire. Yesterday at the opening of PARF just after 4 PM the skies opened up raining cats and dogs and a few horses and cows. What a deluge!  ;D ;D ;D
    "It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
       Antoine de St. Exupery

Captain Dungcaster

..A very good idea. Here in Va. we have many Civil War events and a few Rev. War events. Also we have Henricus park and Jamestown, but Faire is the only time folks can see what it may have been like during pre-settlement days. Great idea. Yes.

"Fantasy Football, Dungeons & Dragons for Jocks"
    I.B.R.S.C #1068.