News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"Must See" suggestons & tips

Started by RenStarr, August 09, 2011, 08:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenStarr

I would appreciate some suggestions and tips for those that have already "been there, done that".

The wife and I are in the very early planning stages of a trip to England/Scotland in 2-3 years.  I am starting a list of what I'm calling "must see" places/shows etc...........

I want to put together a list, prioritize the list, then cut it down depending on time and money as we get closer to actually making the trip.  I see this as an adventure leading up to the trip itself.  We are shooting for a minimum time frame of 2 weeks and are shooting for 3 weeks.  I want to see the places and people that make up that part of the UK. 

>  From what I've read already, the rail system in the UK is extensive and effiecient.  So I'm planning on investing in a rail pass as our means of travel.  Input about this would be helpfull. 
>  Lodging, is it vital make all those arrangements ahead of time?  Or.......just go with the flow as you travel?       

So any and all input would be appreciated!!   
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

DonaCatalina

Can't speak for the UK, but in France and Italy arranging your lodging ahead of time is a must. And check them out thoroughly for the local neighborhood. It is disconcerting to go out of your hotel in the morning and discover people sleeping on the sidewalk every two feet.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Rebecca

When we went a few years ago, we mostly stayed in b&b's. In places where we knew exactly when and where we would be (like London, Edinburgh, etc), we arranged the lodging before we left home, but for the most part, we did it about 2 to 3 days in advance (we rented a car and traveled all around the country).

Although visiting the country by rail does seem more romantic, having the rental car worked really well for us - no worrying about rail schedules, or buses once you get off the train. You can drive right to the historic places you want to see. Some of my favorites from our trip were Chatsworth House in Derbyshire (absolute must-see), Blenheim Palace outside of Oxford I believe, Edinburgh castle, the Lake District, Windsor Castle. Also, (here's another reason for a car), we stayed in a B&B across the street from a ruined castle in Warkworth (north of York along the coast), then drove up the coast to Alnwick castle (where Harry Potter 1 and 2 were filmed), and visited that castle. Alnwick was originally owned by the same family as Warkworth, but is still lived in half the year - it was neat seeing the two in contrast.

Merlin the Elder

If I were going to be in the UK during August, I'd want to attend Cropredy, a three day music festival held annually just outside of Banbury (Oxfordshire) and hosted by Fairport Convention.  Other than that, spending a lot of time in Scotland would be what I'd want to do, as long as I had an interpreter with me. I have a very hard time understanding my Scottish friends with their thick accent!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Renee Buchanan

When we went to Scotland, we stayed on the campus of Stirling University.  It was during the summer, no classes, so they rent out the dorms to tourists.  We had a 4 bedroom (all singles) apartment for my husband, myself, and our 2 sons.  It was inexpensive, there was a kitchen/living room area, plus a snack bar that was open in the student center, along with big screen TVs, where my husband and sons watched some big soccer tournament.

We found Stirling to be very central to take day trips to the Highlands, other cities, different castles.  However, you do need a car to do so.  The trains just don't get close enough to different attractions.  The same is true for England.  The only problem, of course, is they drive on the left (and gas or petrol is expensive).  But even to get to lodgings that are not on top of the train station (usually not the best area to stay in anywhere), you will be spending a lot on taxis, so the car might be more economical in the long run.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich