News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Friends of FlaRF ?

Started by Betty Munro, August 13, 2011, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Betty Munro

I'm new to SoFl.  I've put FlaRF on my calendar.  I'd like to make some face to face Ren friends before season starts ... in 6 months.  (I'm thinking ahead).
helllloooooo

Toua Taru

Welcome welcome! I hope the heat doesn't chase you away (should be cooling off in the next few months, hopefully).

I'm on the same page, FLaRF is nice and marked on my calendar too  ;D  I know I'd like to meet some fellow FlaRFians at the events.
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

Auryn

Hello hello
sorry it took me so long to see this.
im just so used to the flarf board being dead.

Where are you guys located?
I am on boynton.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Betty Munro

Toua Taru

Yeah, the FLARF boards are fairly quiet. I'm in the Stuart/Palm City area

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

Betty Munro

I would love to have a garb sewing group, or make a car pool trip to the fabric district.  Is the closest fabric district in Miami?  Or do they have one in West Palm or Ft Lauderdale?

Auryn

Brilliant,
I would love to finally have some fellow sewing friends.
To be honest I haven't been able to find a fabric district, at least not like they have in LA.
There are several big fabric stores scattered in broward and miami dade county.
Feel free to pm me or find me on google + or facebook

on facebook you can find me as Auryn
on google + as Erika Terrosa
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Toua Taru

I'm not sure if there are any fabric districts near me. I actually haven't even heard of the term before I guess with the exception from watching Project Runway. But we just have a JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby in the area. In terms of "districts" I think Miami would be the closest.

I like the idea of a sewing group. It would be a good way to meet you all outside of faire. Actually Betty, after talking with you through some pm's, I went looking at some different fabrics for ideas and started drawing a mockup of the garb I'd like to attempt. :) Now I just have to put it from paper to a sewing table.

Would it be a good idea to invest in a dress form mannequin? I had seen one on clearance at Hobby Lobby about a week ago

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

Auryn

I bought Victoria (my mannequin) about 3 years ago and she has been invaluable to me.
I bought a regular "dress mannequin" not the kind with the adjustable knobs.
I know a lot of people that like the adjustable ones, but I know just as many people who think they are cheaply made and brake easily.
So I compromised and bought a mannequin whose measurements were as close to mine as I could get, then I padded her up in all the right places :).

Toua Taru

Thanks so much. I'm new when it comes to clothes making. I'll have to keep a nice eye out next time I'm out.

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House