News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Meade at your Faire

Started by DonaCatalina, July 26, 2008, 09:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish

Yes, Sterling does have mead as Scot said......but, the BEST mead I have found around here, is from Earle Estates! YUMMMMM!!!!!  :o
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Lady Renee Buchanan

I don't know what kind of mead Bristol had this year, but it was awful. 

I like Chaucer's because I like sweeter wines (but not White Zin!), and Steve bought me a case, so I'm happy.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Poldugarian Warrior

Chaucer's is good and affordable, a bit less sweet than the Oliver brand sold at my faire, but both very enjoyable.

DonaCatalina

I heard that Sherwood had some wonderful mead this year. Anyone know what it was?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

RenStarr

DonaCatalina,

I believe there were several options when picking a mead at Sherwood this year.  But the one that I heard nothing but positive things about was the Oberhof Meade from the Bell Mountain Vineyard out by Fredericksburg (Texas).  The bad news (from what I've heard), is that the only place some have seen this Meade is at Sherwood outside of going directly to the Vineyard.  I believe there is a way to order direct from the Vineyard (thru the web site).  I really don't drink wine myself, but I did have a few sips and it was pretty good stuff!

Here's a link:    http://www.bellmountainwine.com/
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

raevyncait

Sherwood has Thorin's Viking Mead and Oberhof Wildflower Mead.  The Oberhof is in a Blue bottle, and is AWESOME! It has a wee bit of cinnamon bit to it, but it's quite tasty without being overly syrupy or sweet.  What I've been told about the Thorin's is that it was like drinking syrup.

The bonus to the Oberhof is that it's a regional winery, using texas wildflower honey... Local honey is good for allergies. Drink more Oberhof!
I sipped on it most of both days I was there, and unlike last year, when I came home with terrible allergies, I didn't have a bit of trouble this year....
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Jared Thorne

IIRC, the Ohio Renaissance Faire serves Valley Vineyards mead, which is a local winery not too far from the faire. Not bad mead, actually. Not as sweet as Chaucer's, and I can always go to the winery to buy my mead (or I can stop by the local Kroger's to pick some up).
Jared Thorne
aka Sir Charles of Loveland Castle
KOGT
Rogue #261
LVH #76
IFRP #80

Butch

This year, KCRF FINALLY offered Pirtle mead.  It is made less than 10 miles from our faire site!  Up until then, they offered Chaucer's.

I prefer Pirtle to Chaucer's; but I prefer Oliver to Pirtle.

Poldugarian Warrior

I've had Redstone at Silverleaf.

Ser Niall

Although meads are a bit too sweet for my liking in general, this place makes an excellent bottle: http://www.bnektar.com/

They offer some dryer versions that I enjoy from time to time.  I might even get into making some mead of my own this summer, we'll see if that little project ever takes off :)
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Captain Teague

Quote from: Butch on March 28, 2011, 09:46:53 AM
This year, KCRF FINALLY offered Pirtle mead.  It is made less than 10 miles from our faire site!  Up until then, they offered Chaucer's.

I prefer Pirtle to Chaucer's; but I prefer Oliver to Pirtle.

Love love LOVE Pirtle.  ;D  I prefer the blackberry as it is sweeter, but their regular is pretty dry to me. Wanting to try their raspberry they now offer.
The Code is the Law...

Poldugarian Warrior

During the wine tasting here at the MiRF, Bardic Wells makes a hopped mead, and another maker which I can't remember their name makes mead from the honey made from Scottish Thistle flowers. Both great tasting.

az

thorin meadery now sells mead at the sea devil at trf. its the best i have had
queen of clan Fukitol
member of Rogue Society
princess of gypsies under Queen Risa
member of clan Whimsy

Poldugarian Warrior

We now have B. Nektar as our mead which is actually made here in Michigan, but I found most booths only sell the Orange Blossom style, I found the one booth near the leather shop and across from Griffon stage carries the B. Nektar Renaissance Mead which is a bit less sweet, and spicier. I believe they no longer carry Oliver mead.