News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Traffic - how bad is it?

Started by Alaric, August 15, 2011, 09:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaric

I will be making my way down during the Labor day weekend.   I will be staying in Ft Meade area and was just wondering how bad traffic usually is and how early I should leave to make it to the fair for the Cannon.According to Google its a 30 min drive but I came through that area last year and caught the PM rush hour traffic and just crawled. So I am kind of wondering if I need to leave a lot earlier... 

Betty Munro

Traffic always seemed to be bad.  If you get there half an hour before cannon you can talk to other playtrons.  (Assuming you don't need an hour to get dressed in the parking lot.)  Also, you shouldn't have issues with parking traffic if you get there half an hour early.  I'd give an hour for drive time, and plan to get there with time to play.

Betty Munro

Good point upon leaving!  The closer you are to the entrance, the longer it takes to get out. 
I don't mind so much hanging out in the parking lot with friends for an hour to let the traffic thin out.  I get kind of freaked out if I show up an hour after cannon and there is a hour+ line to get into the parking lot.  I've heard MD faire has grown to full capacity, so parking and long lines at peak times are expected to be terrible!

Alaric

Thanks so much for everyone's responses!  I will plan on leaving an hour before hand and if I get there early I can talk to the others waiting and maybe make some new friends!

Lady Neysa

Make note that with this year's new ticket entry system, the traffic getting into the festival parking lot may or may not be affected.  They are now only selling so many tickets per day,in an attempt to cut down on all the traffic and crowding hassles previously mentioned.   If you are unaware of the new system, look on the official MDRF website, www.rennfest.com for more info. Important! Tickets must now be purchased online in advance for the specific day you want to go, unless you purchase a season pass, or multi day package.  I believe they are only allowing entry into the parking lot for those with tickets, but I could be mistaken(it's been a while since I've looked on the website.)

Alaric

Quote from: Lady Neysa on August 16, 2011, 04:29:26 PM
Make note that with this year's new ticket entry system, the traffic getting into the festival parking lot may or may not be affected.  They are now only selling so many tickets per day,in an attempt to cut down on all the traffic and crowding hassles previously mentioned.   If you are unaware of the new system, look on the official MDRF website, www.rennfest.com for more info. Important! Tickets must now be purchased online in advance for the specific day you want to go, unless you purchase a season pass, or multi day package.  I believe they are only allowing entry into the parking lot for those with tickets, but I could be mistaken(it's been a while since I've looked on the website.)

Thanks for the heads up but I had already purchased 2 2 day passes so I should be good to go ;D