News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Parking and Passes

Started by Random Girl, August 17, 2011, 11:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Hanslow

Quote from: Random Girl on August 18, 2011, 01:59:27 PM
Quote from: William_MacKean on August 17, 2011, 06:12:21 PM
I guess we can't get on site at 3am when we are off work and able to...

This will not work well.  I hope they figure something out, like a path behind Witchwood or something.

As of yet no one knows what the shuttle schedule will be.  Speculating like this is only going to cause more people to freak out uneccessarily. No one thought parking in the pit would work out either and most people liked it in the end.
]

This.

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...
Jon Hanslow of The Cabin Boys!
www.facebook.com/thecabinboysrf - LIKE us on Facebook!

AJ in "The other village"

saphire_glade

I am sure they will think of something. The pit was actually kind of nice. A bit longer walk, but my favorite...... IT WAS FLAT! for the most part at least... my baby car really hates the nasty badger holes up top. Oh and water drained from it better than the mud up top.

So I can hope that since I heard they were working on making it into a parking lot as some point that maybe we will like it even better other than the inconvience of not being able to walk from parking to site..... which has to not be true, I am sure you could walk, but it might be a major hike around instead of a nice straight line through....
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

William_MacKean

Their own fault for not releasing information until the week before the run.  Don't want a panic?  Inform your people!  Get your stuff done in time!  Communicate!  (Which is why I adore you, our awesome communicator!)

NugBlazer

I don't care where I park, but being FORCED to take a damn shuttle is absolutely ridiculous.  What if I need something from my car between shifts?  The shuttle takes forever!  I never ONCE used it for the pit -- there was no need!  Looks like I shall simply figure out my own situation.  It's really not that hard.  To hell with the shuttle.

Oh, and OSHA is a complete joke.  Seriously, do some research.  A complete joke.  They waste time worrying about things that don't matter (hard hats to walk through a dormant gravel pit? please! it's more dangerous crossing the street in Minneapolis) yet they do nothing about situations that actually call for their services.  I hate them.  Everyone in my industry hates them from the top on down.  They're nothing but bullies.  They should be disbanded due to lack of effectiveness.

Regardless, once I'm in the gates with a nice mug of ale, I shall forget all about this... until I need to go to my car. lol
Well met!  Shall we commence a Safety Meeting at once?

groomporter

MAF has a history of doing things without getting permits from local inspectors (the Secret Garden trail), so it's not surprising that OSHA might be alerted by someone. And if you look at the walls of the pit it's not hard to imagine a occasional random rock falling. Mainly I have to agree it's:
Their own fault for not releasing information until the week before the run.  Don't want a panic?  Inform your people!

The shuttles have worked better than many people expected.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Grouser

Quote from: groomporter on August 18, 2011, 07:57:13 PM

The shuttles have worked better than many people expected.

^ There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.

Random Girl

Quote from: William_MacKean on August 18, 2011, 05:33:37 PM
Their own fault for not releasing information until the week before the run.  Don't want a panic?  Inform your people!  Get your stuff done in time!  Communicate!  (Which is why I adore you, our awesome communicator!)

The thing is you and everyone else are acting like this is a new thing.  Welcome to the Minnesota Renaissance Festival where nothing is ever communicated or completed in a timely fashion.  It is just the same way as it is every year so stop freaking out.  You'd think after all these years as a participant you'd understand that by now.  Panicking is not going to help you and it will only add fuel to the ever growing fire.  If you are going to be so upset every year about some ridiculous thing they didn't do then don't work there.  Either resign yourself to the fact that first weekend you will be running blind on something or don't come.  Freaking out! Will accomplish! Nothing!! ZOMGWTFBBQ!!
~~Nessa~~
Safety Services Maven of Midnight
Crew member of the S.S. Hookers and Blow
Odissimur Iocos - We hate fun

saphire_glade

Panicking does serve one purpose to release all that nervous energy? *ducks*

That being said... yeah it is one of the only things that doesn't change every year is that something every year changes without us being told. At least now you don't have to deal with the panicking crabby people tonight! You get to enjoy the sun and the inevitable burn that goes with it :)

~Saphire
trouble maker without making real trouble extrodinare *I never cause real trouble, but one of these days my sense of humor is going to get me hung by my wings from a tree...*
:P
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

Random Girl

Quote from: saphire_glade on August 19, 2011, 09:47:50 AM

That being said... yeah it is one of the only things that doesn't change every year is that something every year changes without us being told. At least now you don't have to deal with the panicking crabby people tonight! You get to enjoy the sun and the inevitable burn that goes with it :)

~Saphire
trouble maker without making real trouble extrodinare *I never cause real trouble, but one of these days my sense of humor is going to get me hung by my wings from a tree...*

Yeah but at least panic about something you can actually deal with. Like OMG I still have these 90 bazillion bits of costuming to complete, or CRAP! It's raining and my tent isn't up yet.
~~Nessa~~

saphire_glade

Quote from: Random Girl on August 19, 2011, 10:33:03 AM
Quote from: saphire_glade on August 19, 2011, 09:47:50 AM

~Saphire

Yeah but at least panic about something you can actually deal with. Like OMG I still have these 90 bazillion bits of costuming to complete, or CRAP! It's raining and my tent isn't up yet.

LOL... true... which reminds me. I should go panic about my lack of new corset soon.

Random Girl

2011 Parking Rules
There is a new participant parking area for 2011
·        No Parking in the Pit
·        New Large Grassy Area behind the campground
·        4 Shuttles in the morning
·        2 shuttles during the day
·        4 shuttles at night
·        There will be 3 shuttle stops in the parking lot
·        Buses will run to C-gate.  They will also stop at B-gate and First Aid if requested.
·        The Parking lot will be lighted at night and have Privies in them.
·        There is an opportunity to walk, but we prefer that everyone takes a shuttle for your own safety. 
General Information:
•Everyone must put their parking pass in their windshield on the driver's side.
•Participant parking will be located in the designated parking area.
•Everyone with Green and Red parking passes will be affected.
•A limited amount of special passes will be given to people with medical conditions or special circumstances (distributed by your Department Head).
•It is important that you follow directional signs at all times.
•Participants not following the rules will have their vehicle towed at their expense.How this will work:
•Participants will be required to enter the grounds through Hwy 41.
•Hwy 41 will be a Participant Entrance only.
•Participant badges will be checked at the entrance of Hwy 41.
•There will be a parking attendant and a security guard at the entrance of the designated parking area who will be checking your parking pass and provide directions as needed.
•Those participants with Green On-site driving passes will be allowed to drop off whatever they need to on site, but then will be directed to the designated parking area.
•For those of you who are parked in the designated parking area, there will be shuttle buses that run to C-gate.
•Shuttle busses will run from 6:45AM -10:00PM on Saturday
•Shuttle busses will run from 7:00AM-10:00PM on all of the other days that we are open.
•Participants must park in the designated parking area and cannot park in the main lot or in the specialized parking lot without prior approval.
•Please remember that we will tow your vehicle

Please be nice and friendly with the Parking attendants and the Security Staff.  They did not make these rules-they are just facilitating and enforcing these necessary rules.
~~Nessa~~

Kiss-me-Kate

Sounds like it is similar to parking in the pit.

Ness,
Since there really isn't anyone else to ask.  Will it possible to drop crap/supplies off in the morning at our booth, and then swing back to the new parking area if you have a red pass?

We were able to do that a coupleof times last year without any issues that I know of. 
t literally is a park, unload, then dash to the parking area. 

~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

DeadBishop

Quote from: Kiss-me-Kate on August 19, 2011, 04:47:24 PM
Sounds like it is similar to parking in the pit.

Ness,
Since there really isn't anyone else to ask.  Will it possible to drop crap/supplies off in the morning at our booth, and then swing back to the new parking area if you have a red pass?

We were able to do that a coupleof times last year without any issues that I know of. 
t literally is a park, unload, then dash to the parking area. 

Let's hope so.  Wouldn't want to be hauling a crockpot, cooler full of food, beverages, garb, photography equipment, and what-have-you on a shuttle.

R/F.com member since 2003

Kiss-me-Kate

I agree, although you learn to lighten your load and to what is important.   My $3.00 Jansport backpack (brand new!) from Good Will was the best Fest investment I made since purchasing a bodice cooler and my leather mug.   
As for crock pot contents, I make mine and throw the contents into a large zip lock bag(s) since the crock pot is already there with the liners for us to use.   Easier to transport.  Oh, and I have slave labor to assist too.   ;D

I also dropped off a lot at the booth already last weekend.   
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

William_MacKean

The walk from the parking area is a bit precarious as you near campground, but it was not a completely bad situation.

Anyone take the shuttle?  Probably not the campground users.