News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

corset boning

Started by jackrocks, August 18, 2011, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

As long as you have a boning channel on either side of the eyelets, you will be fine. What kind of machine do you have? Some machines (for example, Viking, I think Bernina, and maybe one or two others) have eyelet plates you can get, so that you can do them all by machine (as long as you do them before you put your bones in). It's really handy, and goes way faster.

jackrocks

I had great intentions of making this bodice slowly, taking my time and enjoying it.

But....I accidentally got excited and yesterday I finished all the channels, bought the boning, slipped that all in, bound all the raw edges with red bias tape, finished the top except for the part where the busk will go in (I have it measured out, I just need to cut it and sand it).

Today I started the eyelets in the back for lacing. My brain is already thinking ahead as to what fabric I might have in the stash to start a second one. :) this is fun.

Mistakes I have made....I went too fast, and some of my channels are not exactly straight. But that is something to remember for next time. I dont think I would make another one with such plain fabric again, bc it really shows every little mistake. But, thats what lace is for, right? lol

the guy at the hardware store did ask me what I was doing with all those cable ties, and I said I was making something to wear to the ren faire, and he seemed perplexed. :) baffled, even.

Question: if your only choices to use for lacing were thin ribbon, or lace strips, which would you choose?

gem

I don't know what "lace strips" are, but shoestrings make excellent laces for corsets/bodices. My pink corset uses black athletic laces, and my new kirtle uses black waxed dress shoe laces. They're cheap, they're strong, they grip properly (ribbon will slip), you can buy them anywhere (or steal them from your shoes), and they already have the aglets/tips attached. Win, win, win, win.

Lady Rebecca

I've had good results with ribbon for laces. If you go with the fairly thin width (I think app .25"), it slides through the eyelets very well, and is not messy like wider ribbon. Plus you can get it in tons of colors. I would not recommend it if you were using metal grommets, though, since it could probably catch and tear.

Betty Munro

Oooooh, you are so close, I can't wait to see pictures! 
And delighted that you are already imagining your next bodice!  They are addictive!

Suggestion.  When you do your next corset, you might want to try not sewing boning channels through all layers of fabric.  I use 3 layers, 2 heavy cotton, (non-stretch denim or canvas or duck - whatever was in the remnants bin) and 1 "fashion" fabric.  I sew the seams and boning channels in the 2 heavy layers.  Add the bones.  Then I sew the seams in the "fashion" fabric.  Put the cotton layers and fashion fabric wrong sides together, pin at the seams, pin baste the edges.  Case the top, case the bottom.  Trim the side so all 3 layers are even and case.  Trim the other side even and case.  The heavy cotton layers do the job of supporting my body.  The fashion fabric just looks good.  If the boning shows through, that's ok, but I don't have the stitches of the boning channels showing anymore, so if they aren't perfectly straight, it really doesn't matter.   (I only used 2 layers on my chocolate bodice I posted the picture of.  It's one of my early attempts.)

I've had the same strange confused look when I need help to find the boning, uh, I mean heavy duty duct ties, and think that explaining what I am using it for will help. 

Orphena

Congrats on the first corset! I used the corset generator for mine as well, and it DID take some adjusting to the pattern to get it just right - I think I went through 3 or 4 mockups - a horribly discouraging business, since each mockup had to be all but finished (which, as you know, it A LOT of work!), but the resulting corset is perfect for me! It is now in it's second resurection - I remade it earlier this season, using the old one as my pattern.

I am fan of NOT covering the sturdy fabric with fashion fabric - but usually no one sees my "underthings" - if however you are wearing it as outerwear, you may want to. I prefer tabs at the waist - it does distribute the weight better, and does not cut in uncomfortably.

I live relatively close to farthingales.ca, so I tend to buy steel boning for my corsets - shipping is fast, and though it is more costly than cable ties, I like the thinness of the boning. They do a wide bone that I use 4 of - it is 1/2 inch thick, and I put 2 side by side (each in their own channel) in the center front, and 1 on each side of center back. The bones are right at the edge, THEN the eyelets (I actually DO use eyelets, but I sew around them to keep them in place - I don't like the look of the BIG holes that grommets produce - just a personal thing).  The bigger bones at the edge keep things sturdy, and provide great support for my back!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

jackrocks

this has to be the only place where, when someone asks what Im doing, and I say Im boning..........

nobody else turns red and starts giggling.

Betty Munro

Or even worse ... "help, I need better boning" ...
ok, now I am giggling  :-[

jackrocks

yes, the other night, we were at a family dinner at a restuarant, and I was discussing my project and mentioned I needed the large cable ties for something. My BIL said he thought he had some at home, did I want them? and I said sure, he goes....so, what do you need them for?

I answered honestly, and said I was using them for boning.

He's such a perv, he got all confused and giggly at the same time.

But if I went through the whole reason I needed them, other peoples attention drifts away:)

Betty Munro

I am usually a super huge perv, and LOVE inuendos.  But I take my garb construction so seriously that it just never occured to me ... well until now.  I'll never be able to slide the bone into the channel anymore without giggling.  sick sick sick   LOL

So how are you coming along?

jackrocks

all I have left is to finish the eyelets along the back, I have three to go. Then I need to decided if Im going to add lace, Im going to pin the lace a few ways and see if I like it.

Yesterday I found out my niece got a job at Hollygrove fair (MI) and needs to dress for work, so I offered to show her how to do it:) You know...see one, do one, teach one:)

Today Im going clean my "sewing area" in the basement, sort through all my stash material, see if there is anything that I could use to make another one.

I need to quit focusing on my outfit and start something for my husband, in case we are able to go soon. lol

Betty Munro

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Betty Munro on August 24, 2011, 08:01:58 PM
I am usually a super huge perv, and LOVE inuendos.  But I take my garb construction so seriously that it just never occured to me ... well until now.  I'll never be able to slide the bone into the channel anymore without giggling.  sick sick sick   LOL

So how are you coming along?

LOL! You are one of my favorites here, you crack me up. I know, don't play favorites. But I just think you are the bees knees. If that had knees!

Anyways, I've been going through lots of 'firsts' for corsets, because I want to learn how to sew. Going to start a thread and see where everyone started. Unless I can find it first.

jackrocks, please don't hesitate to let us know where you learned some things. I for one, would love to know so I can learn from you. :)
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

Butch

For lacing, I use the nylon cord purchased at Hobby Lobby.  It is about the size of shoe lacing, but comes in many colors, and doesn't cost much. 

Also, when I install the grommets, I do them off-set so the lacing is spiral and not the X pattern.

jackrocks

My corset is done. Well, structurally, its done. Embellishment is ongoing:) Right now Im putting some strips of off white lace along the front. Last night, I deconstructed an old....very old, beaded necklace some elderly family member gave my daughters (nothing nice, and nothing they wanted), in order to get to the off white and gold seed beads and they will be going on the corset in some pattern that Ive yet to imagine.

I have the materail for my next corset in the wash. For the second go round, I want to do a reversible. I may run into a problem as one side will be off white, green and gold, and the flip side is navy, purple, and dark red. Is that okay, to do really different colored sides? I will really n eed to think about how I do the trim and eyelets.

Do you guys ever wonder why, even though you KNOW you shouldnt do something, you do it anyway? I was so tired last night, and I kept thinking I would stop in ten minutes, etc. Then I looked at the lace I had just done, and realized I needed to sew it down differently, bc you could really see the thread. So I proceeded to rip all the stitching from the line.

then I turned it over and realized I had ripped all the stitching from a completely different strip of lace. One that was perfectly fine.

I KNOW I shouldnt sew when Im tired. and yet I do it anyway. I confuse myself!