News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Jewel got fired....

Started by saphire_glade, August 31, 2011, 11:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Nicolette

As always, Renee has a great answer...I love that she reminds people to tip the hired performers!
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Lady Renee Buchanan

A few years ago, one of the magnificent Bristol performers lost their day job.  Happily, through the years Steve and I have become friends, enough so that this person confided in us that the tips from the season supported the couple, because the unemployment check wasn't enough to cover daily living expenses.

The tips made a difference in getting by, and not losing a home, being able to pay bills.  It was a real eye opener.  We can't donate lots of money, because we love so many different shows, but we give what we can, and that's why I mention it to people who may not realize that the hat money really helps the performers and their families.

Thanks, Lady Nicolette, you are so sweet to say I gave a good answer!     :D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merlin the Elder

What so many people do not realize, is that those who work for tips—faire acts, waiters and waitresses, et al—they DEPEND on that. When you (the general "you") don't tip because "the restaurant is paying them," you are condemning them to minimum wage. The restaurants DO have to pull them up to that level if tips don't do it. Would you be willing to work for minimum wage? Could you raise your family?

I know of restaurant workers who have "added ingredients" because of an arsehat or cheap customer. My advice? Best not to be an arsehat or a cheap customer. If you don't want to play the game, don't go out to eat.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

William_MacKean

Quote from: NugBlazer on September 11, 2011, 12:38:03 PM
Things like this lie at the very core of MN RenFest's problems.  If I were a patron, and really liked someone's garb/act, and wanted to tip them, and then was told that I couldn't, I would have a serious issue with that, and it would really put a damper on my enjoyment of Fest.  It's my money, and I should be allowed to do with it as I please.

Also, she advertised her show throut the day, and occupied a stage during a time when other shows are allowed ungridded time.  When asked to stop, she refused and all sorts of management got involved.

Kathleen MacLeod

Things like this lie at the very core of MN RenFest's problems.  If I were a patron, and really liked someone's garb/act, and wanted to tip them, and then was told that I couldn't, I would have a serious issue with that, and it would really put a damper on my enjoyment of Fest.  It's my money, and I should be allowed to do with it as I please.

I'm on cast at the Michigan Ren Fest, and we have the same policy (that you have to have a special clause in your contract allowing you to accept tips). Lady Renee's solution is a good one! To the same end, one of the Washing Well Wenches does something called Rennie Rescue, where any money collected goes to help any current or former Ren faire worker in need of financial assistance. We often get offers of tips from parents of small children after we do bits with them, and we tell them that we can't accept tips but we are accepting donations for rescue. I personally have never had a patron get disgruntled after being unable to tip; they've all happily given that money as a donation to rescue instead. Perhaps you should see if there is something similar at your faire, or if it's something they'd be interested in doing. :)
Sometimes you can't wait for the storm to pass; you have to just get out there and dance in the rain.

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: William_MacKean on September 12, 2011, 08:42:32 PM

Also, she advertised her show throut the day, and occupied a stage during a time when other shows are allowed ungridded time.  When asked to stop, she refused and all sorts of management got involved.
I realize that she was a she, but that takes some enormous ... umm ... ones to try that garbage! That is unbelievable!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

saphire_glade

I heard about that too and that is just wrong. I might have had an attitude when I was employed by MRF, but after that I am another patron and would like to respect the other performers and all that and you don't just sit down and play and take tips and get on a STAGE... there is a nice open stretch of Nicolett mall for that on Thursdays with a nearly captive audiance during farmers market hours.....
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.