News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Saving a sari skirt?

Started by Adriana Rose, August 19, 2011, 08:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriana Rose

I have this very lovely tie skirt that is made from an old sari it is so beautiful but it started to rip in places one is like 13 inches long. I was thinking of whip stitching the tears then lining it in a light wight cotton like a gauze to keep the flow of the skirt intact. Any thing that I should add? I do love this skirt so I really want to save it.

isabelladangelo

Pictures, please?

Depending on the material, whipping stitching may cause more stress on the already delicate material.   What you need to do is get some clear nail polish and use it over the rips and tears to keep them from going any further (it acts as a stabilizer).  You may need to patch it (which can look really cool) rather than stitch it.   Adding a cotton backing might help but make sure to stitch where the tears are to the washed cotton material.  It will help prevent further stress.

Betty Munro

Is your sari stretchy?  Guaze is stretchy.  I think you want to match the stretch of the fabric.  Maybe line with a lightweight silk.  Or broadcloth if silk is out of your price range?  Just brainstorming.

Adriana Rose

I will dig out the dress dummy and get some pictures up as soon as I can