News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Morbid Question

Started by Baron Frederick, August 19, 2011, 09:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Frederick

This is a strange thought,but I was wondering if you have known or attended a funeral at which someone was buried in Faire Garb?
Baron Frederick

Merlin the Elder

Not morbid at all. Being buried in faire garb is one of the least odd things I've heard about for burials. I plan to be toasted, unless I donate myself to the Body Farm. What happens to me once I'm dead is of no concern.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Tipsy Gypsy

Ditto that, Merlin. I've told milord to toast me and dump me in the flower bed- if I don't do something useful this side of the soil line, I'll have a chance from the underside! :D

I haven't attended a funeral in garb, but I know of a memorial service a couple of years or so ago where the majority of the attendees were his Fairemily, and garbed.
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Betty Munro

Oh yeah, bury me in garb.  Confuse the hell out of the archeologists that dig up my grave 500 years later and think this was normal wear for the 21st century.  LOL

But to answer your question.  Never heard of it.   

Glaodian

I figured long ago that I wanted to be cremated, then stirred into a pot of chilie so I can give my friends the red weed puller one last time.

I love them all.  haha.  AND they would expect no less of me.
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

kcdcchef

well, by definition i am sure there were hundreds of thousands buried during the 14th-16th century in what we would call faire garb!! HA!

irish

yes, a friend was laid to rest, in her finest garb. a few actually attended the services, in garb.
it was her wish and so fitting, as she was truly a Sterling Fan....

irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Zardoz

I've heard of it, but I have not personally seen it. When I worked at a funeral home there were stories about folks getting buried in Starfleet uniforms and clown suits, so why not take some of your passion with you when you go.

This is a good example of why funeral preplanning is a good idea.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

DonaCatalina

Not exactly Faire Garb, but Viscountess Katherine in the SCA was buried in her crown and coronation dress.
It was her express wishes since most of the mourners, including HL and I, knew her from the SCA.
But none of the mourners wore garb.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Dinobabe

Slightly off but relevant.  Last year we (Civil War artillery group) shot a guy (cremated) out of our cannon.  It was his last wish.  I played taps for the ceremony, which was really cool.  As a side note, we kept having to reposition the guns so the wind wouldn't blow "him" back onto us! :o
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Merlin the Elder

Now, that I like. Maybe I can get my son to load me into some shotgun shells to shoot trap...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

The Lady Mercedes

Quote from: Dinobabe on August 20, 2011, 05:58:47 PMAs a side note, we kept having to reposition the guns so the wind wouldn't blow "him" back onto us! :o
Lmao! That's great & something I so can imagine happening @ my funeral! :D
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Dinobabe

Quote from: The Lady Mercedes on August 20, 2011, 07:24:59 PM
Quote from: Dinobabe on August 20, 2011, 05:58:47 PMAs a side note, we kept having to reposition the guns so the wind wouldn't blow "him" back onto us! :o
Lmao! That's great & something I so can imagine happening @ my funeral! :D

We tried not to laugh during the service.  And on top of that we had several primers fail (basically the fuse) so it took forever to "blow" all of "him" away.  I think he was rolled into four rounds. 

This all sounds really weird as I read it! ;)

P.S.  Just to clarify...
I'm not trying to make light of this man's last wish.  His buddies were all there and said that he wold have thought everything was hilarious.  Kinda the reason he wanted it done that way in the first place.  We were honored that our battery was chosen to perform the task and we did it with the utmost dignity.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

raevyncait

I've not heard of it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, of all the Scarby folk that have passed since I've been an active playtron, I've only known a couple personally, and they were cremated and included in the cannon blast on specific days.

\slight threadjack\On a side note, a very inexpensive way to accomplish cremation is through donation of your body to the nearest medical school. My grandmother did so, and about a year after she passed, we received a small box with her cremains, which we could then do with as we (and she had) wished.  It cost us nothing, and future doctors had the access they needed to learn anatomy and surgical skills. They do have some restrictions, my mother's Peripheral Vascular Disease prevented her from doing the same, but if it's something that doesn't violate your beliefs, or creep you out, and you don't mind waiting awhile to have the ashes, it's worth considering
/threadjack/
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Stalkwell

One of my best friends was cremated in his best garb.  The viewing also had people in garb (it was his way).  There was a memorial gathering afterwards, half the people were garbed for that.  It's all a form of respect, not funny or morbid at all.

As for the 'firing out of the cannon', so far he has been fired over two faires that he loved.  This made one of the strangest cannon shots I have ever seen... the cannoneers had never seen this before...

Roland vs. the Cannon

He continues to be unique, even after passing on.

Stalk well...
Enthralled with the Faeriebox...