News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

makeup tips please??

Started by Auryn, August 20, 2011, 03:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

With so many theater people I am sure someone can provide some tips.
What would I use to get the look of soot on my face??
Obviously it would have to be something non toxic and that can last a good 6-8 hours and look convincingly like charcoal soot.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

LAVAGODDESSSS

You have to just go and grab a black eyeshadow (one of the cheapy ones from the drugstore). Apply it with your fingers and/or a q-tip and have a tissue ready.

Just make sure it isn't sparkly. Use the blackest you can find, I got mine for a dollar and I think the brand was NYC. Any would work. Just make sure you aren't wearing too much (or non-absorbed) lotion beneath. You can make it stay longer by setting it with a loose translucent powder.

But last time I used it I had a friend who was going as a tinkerer for her garb, I had to make it look like she was all sooty, etc. I even used it on her arms and things, just be careful not to touch it to your clothes too much. :)

I hope this helps! Just have fun and play with it. I use the tissue a lot to smudge it. I use one of my eyeshadow brushes too sometimes to make certain effects.

I hope this helps!
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

Adriana Rose

Id say get the black eyshadow and crush it into a powder and apply it likw Lava said. Make shure to get your eyliner fairly dark too if you look at photos of firefighters( fresh from a fire not the Hunky calender version),coalminers ect. they all look like they have eyeliner on
( my brother in law is a coal miner and he gets irritated that he looks like he is wearing makeup lol)

Auryn

Hehehe thats funny about your brother in law Adriana
hehe
do you think i need to do the eyeliner look even if im theoretically wearing goggles- going for the dramatic lots of soot around the eye area and really clean behind the goggles

thanks for the tips,
guess ill hit up cvs tomorrow ;)
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

LAVAGODDESSSS

You are wearing goggles, so I'd say no to the eyeliner. Your eye area behind the goggles is going to be very clean. It's funny to see when they taket he goggles off too, especially if you did it around your goggles (the black). It's one of my fav looks, the goggles on the head, smudges around where the goggles were. What is your char? ?? And what did you do to make things go boom? lol.

the only thing I'd say about crushing it up, is that it is messy and I'm not sure if it is totally necessary,though it'll depend on what you are comfortable with! I'm sure it will work, just remember, it is MESSY. I'm pretty sure you'll get the same effect by just using it out of the little pot. Though, if you want to, you can take a small bit (with your fingernail, etc) and crush it against your skin. I do remember doing that, it helped make bigger 'pieces' and smudges on my friend's skin.

Auryn

what if i get the pigment eye shadow that comes in powder form in the little pots?

any reccomendations for the translucent powder?? Ive managed to make it to almost 30 years old without wearing foundation/powder type makeup

Lady Renee Buchanan

If you take a wine bottle cork and burn the end of it, you get a black soot that you can rub on your face.  I've used it many times at Halloween for me and also for my kids when they were growing up, as part of a hobo costume.

The good thing about it is that you can keep a clean cork in your pocket with a book of matches or a lighter, and if you've accidently wiped it off, you can do a touch up in a minute or so.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Adriana Rose

Ooh you could take and LOAD up a blush brush and go over the goggles while they are on, then when you take them off there is a line I saw a girl at faire that did that for her steampunk costume it looked great! She had short hair and she shmooed it back to look blown back it was a good effect.

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Auryn on August 20, 2011, 07:31:07 PM
what if i get the pigment eye shadow that comes in powder form in the little pots?

any reccomendations for the translucent powder?? Ive managed to make it to almost 30 years old without wearing foundation/powder type makeup

That would work. I've used both, and I like the stuff that isn't loose powder, because loose powder, especially in dark colors is SO damn messy. But it is totally totally up to you.

As for translucent? You are only using it sparingly over your smudgies...so the same brand you are using for this should have it. Otherwise, it is an optional step, actually. I used it on one girl and not on another.

I don't wear foundation either, but I do use a bit of transluscent if I go all out to make it stay a bit. But the good thing about transluscent powder as well is you can use it to tone it down (Say you go overboard or too dark).

I say, skip the translucent . Make sure to have something with you to touch up, even if it's a few qtips in a plastic baggie that has been rubbed in the black shadow. If you can. Again, optional, but it'll help (not sure how hot it is where you are).

isabelladangelo

Is there a reason you couldn't use real soot?  Ie, from firewood?  No matter what, you'll have to reapply/check any type of make up around each hour to make sure it hasn't rubbed off.  We tend to touch our faces a lot without realizing it.   Ash from a campfire (or any firewood based fire) is what is used to help gardens and even get rid of odors (like on pets!  It's a great way to get that horrible smell out of your pet's fur before giving him or her a bath).  It's used to even make soap so there's typically nothing *in* the ash that would be problematic.   

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: isabelladangelo on August 21, 2011, 02:21:52 PM
Is there a reason you couldn't use real soot?  Ie, from firewood?  No matter what, you'll have to reapply/check any type of make up around each hour to make sure it hasn't rubbed off.  We tend to touch our faces a lot without realizing it.   Ash from a campfire (or any firewood based fire) is what is used to help gardens and even get rid of odors (like on pets!  It's a great way to get that horrible smell out of your pet's fur before giving him or her a bath).  It's used to even make soap so there's typically nothing *in* the ash that would be problematic.   

We originally tried that, when my friend did her look. But it was really...messy. It didn't stay where we put it. When she would sweat it would run awful. And if it got in her eyes she pretty much was done for the day. The makeup stayed really well, we had more control over it, and it didn't irritate her eyes.

I don't see why not, but I know we had a bad experience with it. Though it is a great idea to go straight to the source. :)

LAVAGODDESSSS

Auryn

well..... real soot is a no go- it doesnt look 'sooty' enough- hehe ya I know, plus it came off really easily.
I tried a cheap little $1 smoky black eye shadow that I got at target- worked like a charm, I kept it on for about 4 hrs and it didnt go anywhere- I will definitely have to put some kind of makeup sealer/fixative on my skin though because if you touch it it does come off (but it doest look like it on my face- its weird).

Next step is figuring out yellow- im going to try yellow eye shadow tonight.
ill post pics soon
thank you all

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Auryn on August 23, 2011, 03:41:23 PM
well..... real soot is a no go- it doesnt look 'sooty' enough- hehe ya I know, plus it came off really easily.
I tried a cheap little $1 smoky black eye shadow that I got at target- worked like a charm, I kept it on for about 4 hrs and it didnt go anywhere- I will definitely have to put some kind of makeup sealer/fixative on my skin though because if you touch it it does come off (but it doest look like it on my face- its weird).

Next step is figuring out yellow- im going to try yellow eye shadow tonight.
ill post pics soon
thank you all

You don't know until you try. We had the same experience. Soot comes off. The cheapo black makeup was our best bet.

I can actually give you a tip on something that'll help make it stay. Do you have a Sephora nearby? (They are sometimes in a JCPenney). Get this stuff (just make sure you cover your hair before you spray it. I LOVE this stuff. I don't wear makeup a lot, but when I do, it is always freaking hot out or I need to wear it for hours. This stuff sets it like it is no one's business.  They have a 11 dollar travel version, or you can order it from sephora.com. This is the spray:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P263504&categoryId=B70

BUT if you DO order from Sephora online, let me give you a tip. Go through ebates (Iv'e been using them for a LONG time. You get a percentage back of each purchase, and a five dollar gift card for signing up. They don't need any info but your address to send you a check a few times a year. It works with tons of online retailers AND they show you coupon codes. You just go through the website to buy. No catch, it's awesome. I've used it for about three years now, and I"ve made over 280 dollars back, from walmart, kohls, etc.)

If yo use this link, we both get money for me referring you:

http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=6zs9n%2BTI2yOhdoIwphN5GQ%3D%3D

Right now you can get a ton of free samples with your order, etc.

arbcoind

I ordered and received the All Nighter Long Lasting Makeup Setting Spray.  I applied 2 coats this morning (6:00 am) after applying my makeup.

I have very oily skin and usually by this time of day (10:00 am) it starts to show through my powder foundation.  Not today.  My face feels different but in a good way.  Almost like it's a little firmer.

Anyway, the true test will be on Saturday at faire.

Gina