News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

makeup tips please??

Started by Auryn, August 20, 2011, 03:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

Thanks for the tip on the spray.
Do you know if they sell it at the sephora counters in JCPenny??
The closest Sephora to me is 35 min each way and I don't have the physical time to go and come back.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

arbcoind

Auryn,

I purchased from Amazon, so I don't know if it's available at JC Penny.  Lunch time and still no shine.  I usually blot my face right about now!

Gina

Bonny Pearl

Oh the Urban Decay's All Nighter is awesome!  I use it a lot, especially at faire b/c it is usually very warm/hot and humid.  You can order it online from Sephora or go to drugstoredotcom and you will see they have beautydotcom as a second shop and order from there.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Auryn

I just called our local jcpenny- they have a sephora section in the store- confirmed they do have it, even have the small travel size.
I will pick it up tonight.
This weekend I will really put it to the test- 10+ hours in make up at DragonCon in Atlanta heat.
I will let you know how it goes.

thanks for the tip.
I rarely wear makeup so its nice to find out from  people with experience
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Elennare

The spray sounds cool, I'll have to check that out.

I've always used baby powder to set my makeup when I needed to, and that works great.  You just have to put LOTS of it on, and then brush off the extra.  Make sure any liquid/wet makeup is dry first, though, or you get a smeary, white-ish mess.

(Funny story about this: I finally learned the intended purpose of baby powder a couple weeks ago when my mom watched me change by little boy's diaper and asked me why I hadn't powdered him.  I honestly didn't know what you were supposed to do with it, as I'd only used it for setting make up!  ;D)

In a pinch, I've also used loose powder foundation.  Which, by the way, works awesomely if you need to make a liquid-eyeliner "tattoo" look more like it's actually a tattoo. ;)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

arbcoind

Auryn,

Yes, please report back on your experience.  If this stuff can last through hours and heat, I'm hooked!

Gina

Auryn

Elennare
please elaborate
Quoteif you need to make a liquid-eyeliner "tattoo" look more like it's actually a tattoo.

captmarga

wash face.  Apply super-thin layer of milk of magnesia.  Let dry.  Apply foundation and powder.  Use Make Up Forever (only available at Sephora, not at Ulta) on a brush. 

Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Auryn

thanks for the reminder captmarga- totally forgot about the milk of magnesia
Can I use it on the eyelids or just stick to regular eyeshadow primer for that??

Marietta Graziella

Trish and I used the Milk of Magnesia while in Colorado for faire in the mountains. Works like a charm!  Remember, a light coating! If you see white, brush it off a bit.

I've not used it on my eyes since I have another product to keep eye shadow looking good all day.

Can't wait to hear (and see pics!) Auryn.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Elennare

Quote from: Auryn on August 30, 2011, 12:28:01 PM
Elennare
please elaborate
Quoteif you need to make a liquid-eyeliner "tattoo" look more like it's actually a tattoo.

If you draw the "tattoo" on with liquid eyeliner, and then powder it with foundation (after it's dry!), rather than translucent powder, the eyeliner picks up a bit of the skin tone over the tattoo color, and the edges blend a bit (texture, not color).  Gives a bit more of an "ink under skin" look, as opposed to "drawn on top."
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

LAVAGODDESSSS

I'm SO glad people love that all nighter stuff.

If you ordered online, I hope you went through ebates for the coupons and the discounts/cash back.

If you use this: http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=6zs9n%2BTI2yOhdoIwphN5GQ%3D%3D

we both get a bonus, a gift card, etc.

But that's just a side benefit, I just hope this works for you. I love the stuff, just please be SURE you don't get it on your hair. I just throw a towel lightly over (or a washcloth) at the forehead, and I'm fine.
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

Lady Rebecca

What are you talking about when you say milk of magnesia? I did a quick google search and I came up with a liquid laxative medication.

Ms Trish

Quote from: Lady Rebecca on September 01, 2011, 03:42:41 AM
What are you talking about when you say milk of magnesia? I did a quick google search and I came up with a liquid laxative medication.

And that's what we're talking about! Can you say 'multi purpose product??'  :)  It does work really well.
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Ms Trish on September 01, 2011, 06:50:37 AM
Quote from: Lady Rebecca on September 01, 2011, 03:42:41 AM

And that's what we're talking about! Can you say 'multi purpose product??'  :)  It does work really well.

Yes, I use it also. And it is easier to apply with cotton makeup pads.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess