News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Skirt - h/a and a few other things

Started by LAVAGODDESSSS, August 20, 2011, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arbcoind

Lavagoddessss:  Thank you for posting in paragraphs, much easier to read.  I'm glad I was helpful to you and yes, please do post pics of this wonderful creation.  I'd love to have something similiar.

Gina

Anna Iram

Yes!  Please do come back and post pictures for us and have a wonderful time. :)

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: arbcoind on August 26, 2011, 08:10:29 AM
Lavagoddessss:  Thank you for posting in paragraphs, much easier to read.  I'm glad I was helpful to you and yes, please do post pics of this wonderful creation.  I'd love to have something similiar.

Gina
Gina, I'm so sorry about the paragraphs. I didn't realize until I got to my computer that posting via my phone? Means it removes a lot of my paragraphs, smushes things together. Heh. I can realize how that'd be a pain to read. So now I'll just use my computer, that little keyboard was driving me bonkers anyways.

I've been collecting things for a while, and it feels good to finally have something that won't be half finished. I know it's never done, (or it feels like it) but I feel comfortable without having to make an excuse as to why I have something odd on (like combat boots, lol).

When it's all done, I hope to have pics of other people too, hoping that most people there will be finished with theirs and share what they did. I'll make a thread.

I'm going to go search out your threads, I see a lot of people have posted their garb at one point! it's where I get my ideas. I think about it, five years ago, I was embarassed to show up garbed (my own issue, no one elses). Now I think of it as my events of the year. I thinkI"m a little girl at heart loving dress up.

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on August 26, 2011, 03:24:50 AM
I didn't seem to have any problems understanding that what was actually asked for was a little help and advise trying to figure out how to get the particular look that was desired, no matter what form, material or era it may have been from...

Lavagoddess... I know your Masquerade garb will be lovely, and you will shine in it, because you're making the effort to find exactly what you envision!  Please do post photos once you have them!  I look forward to seeing all of your lovely sounding pieces put together! 

My many thanks.  You understood, my first post was very generic. I had this idea and I wanted to know anything I could about any of it, tulle or not. I got all that info, responded, then decided it didn't matter to me (I thought it should after reading some things) that I would have one item that perhaps would be 'too much.' But I was reassured, let it known some use it, and got over that ... fear.  That and I was hoping I could understand why that skirt was so much! (Though I was tempted to just say "NOODLES IN A CUP FOR MONTHS!" Alas, my brain overtook my love of fashion.  And you all showed me that I CAN get to what I'm looking for, but informed me of the level of work it may take. I like educated decisions. So I'll move forward with it, and see if I can find something before then. I may get lucky.

As I said, I've gotten so many amazing things from people in this thread (thank you too Anna) and from a surprising email from a random stranger.  I shouldn't let things get to me, guess I was so invested in this I really took it personally. Too bad it isn't time yet for a glass of lovely wine.

And I will get pictures. After all the effort (and getting my husband to actually try on ruffles, heh.) this is a huge event for us.

FIve courses and I'm not sure my corset will work...lol! Thank goodness it's front lacing! Thank you m'dear. I'll be sure to post my mishmash of eras in a few weeks. Our event is the 23rd, but some of it will get a test drive over the long holiday weekend.

I  truly am honored to have so much support in my search for pretty things ;)
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

Trillium

Lets all place nicely together ladies.  We all need to keep in mind that some people focus on historical accuracy and others do not, prefering just the feel of faire instead.  There is nothing wrong with either direction. We need to be accepting and helpful to each other, even if we don't agree with their direction.  I will not put up with condescension in this forum.  We all come from different backgrounds, varied amounts of experience, and varied interests.  It's always good advice to read over your post before submitting to be sure its the best way to say it.
Got faerie dust?

LAVAGODDESSSS

So I have gone to ALL the thrift stores here, the salvation army and Goodwill.

They wanted 100.00 for the only crinoline slip. Ugh.

So maybe I'm curious,I found a white one on ebay, if I don't dye it...anyone know anything about spray painting it?

Beyond the smell, is there a fabric spray paint? or ...

I dunno if it'd fill in the lil holes or what. Or if this is a bad idea.
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

Rani Zemirah

Lavagoddessss, try this, please...  

Ebay, black crinoline... $35-50 for a full length black crinoline underskirt.  

It doesn't have the layers of tulle, but it would be very easy to attach them in the areas that would show when you pin up one side of the skirt, and it's the right length and color.
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Betty Munro

Rani, you are fantastic!

I haven't ever spraypainted crinoline, but I have done some spray painting ... It could work ... and after drying you will not have an issue with odor.  You would probably get through 1 wearing.  I agree that if you spray too heavy it will probably fill in the holes.  They do make fabric paint in a pump spray, but that is more for painting on fabric, not dying.  You'd also need a LOT of spray paint to cover an entire skirt.  I'm thinking Ritz dye, (or whatever brand the craft store sells) is probably a much better idea.