News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

button and loop sleeves

Started by sealion, May 09, 2008, 11:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sealion

Dona Catalina requested a repost of this photo.

This dress started out with brass rings sewn under the shoulder straps and the sleeves tied on with cords. To make it look a bit more like the famous Eleonora di Toledo portrait I replaced the ties with buttons on the sleeves and looped black hair elastics through the brass rings and over the buttons.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

uhurainmi

Fortunately, ah keep mah feathers numbered...for just such an emergency.

nliedel

Sitting here with pen and sketch pad and blatantly copying your brilliance. This totally rocks Vorpal Bunny!
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

sealion

I cannot take credit for the hair elastic idea. I blatantly copied from someone's dress diary! I don't remember who for sure. I'll see if I can find it...

LadyOren

OMG that looks awesome!!!  Hey those buttons look like the thingy's I used on your mules, now how cool is that. Love the dress Sealion!
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

Lady L

Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Artemisia

So gonna use that idea on my current sleeve construction.
Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

nliedel

Is that a bias binding running across the top of the sleeve that the buttons are attached to?

sealion

Yes, it is. I used Margo Anderson's paned sleeve pattern.

nliedel

Well that figures. Bias does not like me, but so what? I'm pressing on. The paned sleeves  from my toile turned out really well, when lightly sewed at the top. Adding the bias should be doable, but I hate cutting bias and I hate ironing it, since I always end up burned. Bias is worth it, bias is worth it. I've even figured out how to use that on my double sleeves. More bias, but what the hey. If you're gonna get burned, I say go for it.

Charlotte Rowan

Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Baroness Doune

I am making some paned sleeves.  Here they are before turning.

They are actually turned now - imagine that!
However, other than the glass pearls that will connect the panes at intervals, the only other thing that will connect the panes together is a bit of bias at the top edge and some lace at the bottom edge.  The bias will be white linen, to match the lining, and will not show on the right side.  Store bought bias would work just as well for this application.

Really, a lot of what causes a problem with making your own bias is the bias maker.  As usual, avoid Dritz.  Go Clover.  The flattened slit at the business end of the Clover bias tape maker makes wonderful bias.  That flattened slit is the key.

Lady Anne Clare

That is absolutely gorgeous.  Thanks for sharing.
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)