News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Belly dancer Coins

Started by Rogue Hidesmith, August 21, 2011, 08:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Hidesmith

Yesterday I was gifted with a large pile of the metal "coins" you see on coin belts, like the kind belly dancers or gypsy characters wear. I was wondering what the heck I can do with them.  ;D

There's probably a few thousand there in varying sizes. I'm not much of a sewer so I'd appreciate any idea you have!

Thanks so much :)
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

WindChime

What kind of items do you normally make? I would suggest earrings but if I knew what you already make I can give you some ideas maybe. I am a craftaholic. I love to make items with lots of different mediums for it makes life interesting.
Chime'n Penny / Cheiftess Clan O'Maille
Irish Penny Brigade
Guppy #90
Castleteer
IWG #3740 Local #57
Lost Viking
FOKTOP
Booth Owner @ KyRF & ORF
Keeper of All Bells & Chimes
RESCU Rally Captain ORF &  KyRF

Rogue Hidesmith

I primarily do leather work. So you can see I'm at a bit of a loss here!
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Dinobabe

Sell them!  Bellydancers are always looking for coins to make their own costume pieces.  I just bought 100 antique coins on ebay.

Are they the cheap "tink, tink" kind or heavier metal?  Do you also have silver?
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Rogue Hidesmith

As far as I know they're the cheap kind. I have gold, silver and copper colored coins.  I'll sell them if I can't find anything to do with them. But since they were given to me, I'd hate to just turn around and sell them right off the bat.
IBRSC #1603

Auryn

I do leatherwork also
you could punch holes in them and make some funky scale maille
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

isabelladangelo

There is an extant hat from about 1600, German, that is COVERED in sequins - you could make a play on that.

http://wkneedle.bayrose.org/Articles/stars_spangles_studs.html

brooke

could you add lines of accent to your leather peices?  Not sure what leatherwork you do, but the gold against a black or brown leather would be a beautiful contrast.  Could be added using fine leather string/line to sew them to your peices. 

I like all things better when they have a bit of shine and sound that the coins could add :)

Rogue Hidesmith

Quote from: brooke on August 22, 2011, 04:09:28 PM
could you add lines of accent to your leather peices?  Not sure what leatherwork you do, but the gold against a black or brown leather would be a beautiful contrast.  Could be added using fine leather string/line to sew them to your peices. 

I like all things better when they have a bit of shine and sound that the coins could add :)

I mostly make masks right now, but lining the bottom edges of some of the styles might be really neat. I'll have to make some up to try them out.
IBRSC #1603