News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wearing your hair inside your snood

Started by gem, August 21, 2011, 02:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

For those who wear snoods or cauls, how do you do the hair that goes inside it?

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm thinking of upgrading my (twenty-one-year-old!) crochet snood, pretty as it is, to something more period, like this beaded caul:

As you can see in the pictures, though, my current one is much less open, and conceals the hair more. I usually twist it back at the sides and then clip up the ponytail. You can also see that my hair is pretty thin (it squishes pretty flat in updos!), and though it's longish, when I do wear a bun, say from a braid twined round itself, it's really small (see how flat my snood is?!). If I go with something more open, I need ideas for how to style my hair so it can fill out the caul like you see in the picture.

Ideas?

Gramercy!!

isabelladangelo

I braid my hair or put it in a bun with hairsticks.   

The caul should be made to your preferred hairstyle.   Also, they did use false hair in period (I recall one very funny German altar painting where a blond lady clearly had bright red hair stuffed into her bonnet sides!) so if you want your hair to look fluffier, add some hair from a wig or other source to your braid. 

operafantomet

The Italian snood of the mid 16th century (I.E. the semi Spanish style which came into vogue with Eleonora di Toledo in Florence) usually meant your hair was taped or braided into one thick roll. That one was then twisted around the back of the head and secured (not sure how they did the latter, but I'm assuming small metal pins, plus also using the tape for tying. You can see the style well here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/firenze3/braidedhairroll.jpg

And then compare to this rare profile portrait of Eleonora di Toledo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/firenze2/eleonoraditoledorelief.jpg

The benefit of wearing the hair rolled and pinned down like that, is that it gives the sides of the snood a fullness while the back remains fairly flat. When seeing frontal portraits of Eleonora the snoods looks a lot baggier/fuller than they are:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/firenze3/eleonorasolo.jpg

Betty Munro

I agree with Isabella, fake hair.  Since it is getting covered in the snood, just braid it in.

Love the photo's operafan!  I actually had someone tell me that snoods were not period accurate.  (Maybe they meant the polyester yarn they are made with.)  I stole your photos for my personal garb reference file. 

LAVAGODDESSSS

You ever try the fake hair? I would recommend NOT doing fake fake - get real hair. Check out Sally's but you are still going to need a bit of knowledge for those. But once you get the hang of it, especially because you are using a snood, you don't need to be that perfect about it. They should just clip right in!

Your best bet is the Jessica Simpson HairDo line. Only get the real hair one. I got my two half head pieces from ebay. I paid about 50 for one (new) and 80 for another (again new). I'd pay up to about 100 for it, and they last forever. But what I do is loosely braid it, then coil it and put it into my snood. But I like a messier look.

Don't mean to hijack, but it's along the same lines -

I'm curious if there are resources on how to get it to stay in. I don't want all my hair in it, I'd like a bit...messier, but how do I get the darn thing to stay in my hair? I get tons of compliments on it, but they seem to slip!!! Help!

I use fake hair too, which, I have no prob with.
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Betty Munro on August 21, 2011, 04:58:28 PM
I agree with Isabella, fake hair.  Since it is getting covered in the snood, just braid it in.

Love the photo's operafan!  I actually had someone tell me that snoods were not period accurate.  (Maybe they meant the polyester yarn they are made with.)  I stole your photos for my personal garb reference file. 

Crocheted snoods -the kind most people wear at the renn fest (including me!)- aren't.  The type of snood that is period looks sort of like a mini fishing net.   The way they are constructed is different but you can't tell from 3 feet away most of the time.

Actually, many of the period snoods I've seen in paintings are more like a bag for your hair -out of whatever material the wearer please.  This would probably be a good first sewing project for many people.  something easy to make, very wearable, and yet you can say you made it yourself!

Adriana Rose

The painting of Elenora it looks like her hair is parted and I would say maybe braided. Maybe she has it taped in? I tried the hair taping on my mom this summer and it holds like a dream!

Gem how long is your hair? Mine is mid backish a tad longer. When I wear a snood I twist the sides pin them and then I twist the rest kind of like I an aiming for a French Twist then I pull the snood over it and I secure it with curler pins they are the ones that are an inch and a half long. Since I am not very H/A I add flower barettes too for a bit more hold.

PollyPoPo

Operafantomet,

Just curious, but what "tape" would have been used?  Or is it a phrase referring to something else?

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Adriana Rose

Hair taping is a method of using a ribbon to litrally sew a braid into place. There are some really good how to's on You Tube on how to do it, and its super easy once you get it down.

Lady Rebecca

Gem, if you're looking to add to your hair so that you can make it into a thick braid, I recommend buying one of the fairly cheap "braids" from either Sallys or online (I don't have the web address in front of me, but they gave us a really good one at Costume College, and I can look it up for you if you want). Your hair is probably too light for what you can get at Sallys, but I would check it out anyway - you can buy braids there for between $2-4. Once you braid them and coil them within your caul/snood, no one will be able to tell it's fake, anyway.

Orphena

I usually wear a snood and a hat, and I cheat. (There, I said it, it is in the open!) I put my hair into 2 pony tails, (Yes, as if I was 6) and braid them. I use 4 elastics in all, 2 near the ears, and 2 at the ends. I then take the tail (paintbrushy part) and tuck it into the ear elastic on the opposite side. As my snood is more like a bag, not a bun cover, and the french hood / hat hides the hair near my ears, this works well, with a minimumof bobby pins. I also have thicker hair, which helps.

Several years ago I ordered "crispinettes" aka braided buns (think Princess Leia!) from a company called His & Hers - which would also work to hide your smaller bun and give more of a filler.
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I have better luck wearing a snood than I do a Caul. No need for Bobby Pins.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

DonaCatalina

As you can see in my profile pic I usually wear a snood and a hat. I use a snood with an elastic band and just push the whole curly pile into it.
I have a friend who has short hair who coiled a long blond braid around some panty hose and then used that to stuff her snood before she put it on. Hers also has an elastic band.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

operafantomet

Quote from: PollyPoPo on August 21, 2011, 10:46:23 PM
Operafantomet,

Just curious, but what "tape" would have been used?  Or is it a phrase referring to something else?

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

It's basically to part the hair in one or two parts, and twist a (very long) flat ribbon around it. That is the "tape". The roll(s) are put around the crown of the head, or in the back. The ends of the ribbon is usually tied together, to secure the hair. It can be done as dense or tight as the wearer prefers it. A common way, which is still used in some Norwegian folk costumes, can be seen in this picture-by-picture guide:
http://www.bunad-magasinet.no/haarvipping-paa-telemarksvis.4472761-103162.html

You can also twist it as an 8, up and down, around two strains of hair, to kinda bind them together. Hard to explain this without pictures...

ETA: Here's a woman with taped hair:

Anna Iram

Gem, my hair is too "modern" to fill out a snood as well. What I did was make a caul from taffeta and another from a small wale corduroy that looks like velvet. You could then wear the pretty beaded caul over it to give it a decorated look.