News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Leather lace-Breakage issues

Started by dreamwalker, November 05, 2011, 01:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamwalker

I have dyed to match leather lace for my weapons and some of my garb this year at least 3 times now the lace has broken off in my hands when tugging at it to adjust the laces. Maybe I don't know my own strength or was it the dye process that made it more prone to breakage?
Normal? What's that?

Glaodian

Sounds like you are using suede lace as that stuff tends to break a lot easier with time.  You can find shoe lace leather lace online that is much, much stronger and dyed to just about any color you can think of.  Just make sure it is for shoe laces.

I think that stuff is cut to 1/8" or something like that.  Either way, I hope this helps.
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

Lady Renee Buchanan

Friends of mine told me that Hobby Lobby and Michaels have leather lacing on a spool.  They bought some to replace the laces in their ghillies.  So the laces are strong enough to go through the shoes, wrap around the leg, and then be tied. 

I know they bought black for the ghillies, but I don't know if they come in other colors.  Otherwise, check out some of the shoe vendors like Medieval Moccasins, Renboots, etc.  They make ghillies in many colors, so would have the laces to match.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Adriana Rose

Leather laces break as they wear its normal for the cheaper stuff. If you have a Tandy near you they have some good leather lacing or they can direct you to some.

Captain Teague

Generally I use work boot leather laces. Haven't had any break yet through dyeing, dampness, heat or cold.
The Code is the Law...

dreamwalker

They are Tandy suede laces dyed with Tandy Eco-Flo (2 coats). Will look into re-jiggering and experimenting after Faire.
Normal? What's that?

Glaodian

There is the issue then.  Suede is not very strong.  

If you are at TRF, some of the shops there sell leather lace to help you get out of a bind.  

If you are going to be camping out at TRF the weekend of the 12th, I will be out there and I have some spare tan and black leather lace I can spare if you need it.
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

DonaCatalina

I agree with Goadian, suede is not very strong. It may take a little looking but there is regular leather lacing available in a variety of colors.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Adriana Rose

Yes the stuff off the spools is not very good for much beside decoration.

dreamwalker

Alas, I am hoteling it but hell or high water camping next year. Thanks so much for your kind offer. See you at Sherwood campgrounds? The design and basic construction on my leather stuff was done by ye olde Padre   has 20 yrs leather working experience, does stuff that's on par with the leather craftsman at Faire) I did alot of the work like tooling myself, 3 weekends worth of work. Learned alot, got alot of satisfaction out of it. If you don't run into me I'll be posting pics on the TRF pics thread :)
Normal? What's that?

Glaodian

I dont believe I have seen a picture of you yet, so I am not sure I will know if I run into you or not.   ;D
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

dreamwalker

Normal? What's that?

Glaodian

Nice pic.  I hope to see you out there Saturday. 
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

dreamwalker

Normal? What's that?

Butch

You can buy leather boot lacing at most department stores, including WalMart.  It is in the shoe department with the shoe strings.  It is natural in color, and it comes as (2) 72" laces in a plastic blister on a card.  You should be able to pick some up right away and dye it as desired later.