News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wearing your hair inside your snood

Started by gem, August 21, 2011, 02:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Well, Anna, that was my plan. Alas, my beaded caul was one of my few sewing failures! Hence the need for a new plan.

I love the idea of false hair, but that suggestion never comes with details of HOW you attach the false hair to your real hair! I have a really pretty braided bun that matches my hair exactly, but I cannot figure out how to wear it. Whatever I do, it just looks like it's stuck on the back of my head, not like it's my real hair worn up (and I can do a variety of complicated updos with my hair, so it's not like I just don't know how to do a braid or whatnot).

Anna Iram

I'd love to be able to find an afordable bun that matched my hair. I went with the caul as it was.much less expensive.:)

Maybe you could pin the braided bun at the center but then reserving the outside perimeter of hair, make small braids or twist and intertwine this with the bun?

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: gem on August 24, 2011, 03:09:48 PM
Well, Anna, that was my plan. Alas, my beaded caul was one of my few sewing failures! Hence the need for a new plan.

I love the idea of false hair, but that suggestion never comes with details of HOW you attach the false hair to your real hair! I have a really pretty braided bun that matches my hair exactly, but I cannot figure out how to wear it. Whatever I do, it just looks like it's stuck on the back of my head, not like it's my real hair worn up (and I can do a variety of complicated updos with my hair, so it's not like I just don't know how to do a braid or whatnot).

I learned on Youtube, of all things. I have a half 'wig', and for that I take up half my hair, the top, that is, and pin it up and out of the way. I tease the lower layer, near the part I just made, then clip it in with the little barettes. Then I release my top hair, hair spray, and curl or straighten it all (if it is heat resistant).

As for your bun piece, what does it attach with? you may want to leave a piece of hair out, depending how long your hair is, and use it to wrap around the 'seam'. I can give you better advice once I know how it attached. You have a pic?

And a lot of times, we are more aware that it is fake than others are. I wore this wig I thought was...obvious ti wasn't my hair. It was this burgundy red, and I swear I got so many compliments, people thought it was my hair.
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

gem

Lava, thanks for those instructions--very helpful!

Well, I went this weekend to look for false hair, but the local Sally didn't have anything *remotely* similar to my hair color, and I wasn't up for paying $60+ for real human hair I could dye. Alas. I'm still thinking about it for the future, though. There's an artisan on etsy that makes beautiful braids. So maybe next year.

Meanwhile... I bought one of those bun-donut things, and a beaded caul like the one in my first post. I also found a pearl double headband that I can twist the sides of my hair around... so I think I have something worked out, at least!

Rowan MacD

If you must have hair showing through the caul you will need hairpieces, or something to wear under the hair to add volume if you don't have masses of hair to fill it.
  Nothing says you can't bead that lovely caul and then devise a satin or velvet bag to fix inside the outer caul to cover your hair.  You can then stuff the inside with a veil or whatever to add volume. 
   It's a trick I use whenever I donate my hair to locks o' love.  My hair grows fast and thick, so 2 years later I have long hair again.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

gem

The bun donut increases the volume of my hair by at least three times (and it's very close to the color of my hair, which is a nice bonus), so that's a start. I'm going to experiment with braiding some of the strands of hair that go through it to give more texture to the hair--but I really think this will work. I'm not sure anyone will be looking so closely at my head that they'll think, "Hmm... she didn't braid her bun. Shame on her."   ;D  You can make your own bun donut out of a sock, and I kind of want to experiment to see how large a form is possible--see if I can somehow replicate the larger/flatter hairstyle from the full-sized caul (the caul I bought is smaller/bun-sized).

I need to remember to save the hair from my hairbrush for rats/rolls. Somehow I only think of this the day *after* I throw it all away.  Another poster once said she used lint from her dryer... but ours has too much dog hair in it! Ew!!

Hmm... looking again at that sock bun tutorial, I'm starting to wonder if I might use jewels or something to cover the "seam" on the false bun I bought a couple of years ago. It's really pretty, but I've never figured out how to get it not to look like I just stuck it on my head.  ::)

Adriana Rose

Try keeping a chunk of your hair out near where you are going to put the bun, put some hair gel on it to keep it from frizzing ( my hair frizzes to the point I give Hermione a run for her money) Twist it and wrap it around the bun and pin it. If you dont have enough to go all the way around go from the other side and do the same.

Betty Munro

As a general rule, I don't tell people what to do ... but dryer lint for anything on your body is an extremely bad idea.  Dryer lint is phenomenally flamable.  I save my dryer lint to start campfires.  One match, and poof!  You would not want that going up in flames on the back of your head because someone got too close with a cigarette.   
I know you just said you heard about someone else doing it, not that you are going that route ... but in case someone else thought about using it.
Public announcement over.  :)

Rowan MacD

Perhaps sheep wool instead of lint?  Provided you aren't allergic, it would stay put and not pull apart.  
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

Some economical "rats" for your hair:

Netting/tulle/ect in a color similar to your own hair.  Since your hair will be covering the rat, it does not need to be exact but, if you have blond hair, go with yellow.  If you have brown hair, go with brown or black. 

If you are going to 18th c big hair, a friend of mine used a squishy wash netting thing.  It worked incredibly well. 

The bump its you find at the drug store are what I've used for 18th C hair.   http://www.flickr.com/photos/jubileel/5338611679/  It's a bad picture but you get the idea of hair height!

I've also used my own hair that I've cut to make rats.  When my hair needs to be cut, I braid it back and just chop off the bottom five to eight inches.  It's not nice and neat but it works.   I then keep that hair, wrapped in a ribbon typically, and use it for rats.   It doesn't matter too much what color ribbon I use because I'm probably going to have a ribbon in my hair anyway.    :D

I've heard of flexible styrofoam being used but I'm not sure if it works or not.

gem

Isabella--Bump-its for 18th C. updos is BRILLIANT!

I was actually looking at my bun donut and thinking about the tulle pot scrubbers my MIL crochets ( ???!) and wondering if she'd consider an exchange for all the garb I've made them over the years... and then thought better of it. I think I can find a roll of brownish tulle ribbon and figure this one out myself. Thanks!

isabelladangelo

The tulle works well because you can put bobby pins through it and it will hold.   That is always a big plus.  Just make sure you get the correct width to do that and not the super fine netting.   

CecilyWilkins

Quote from: Adriana Rose on August 21, 2011, 10:51:42 PM
Hair taping is a method of using a ribbon to litrally sew a braid into place. There are some really good how to's on You Tube on how to do it, and its super easy once you get it down.

Brilliant! I'll have to look this up and give it a try for myself. My hair is long and terribly thick (and I've no talent at all when it comes to doing anything with anyone's hair), but this gives me some hope. :)

Adriana Rose

Look it up on you tube there is a really great how to.

dreamwalker

Before I grew my hair to it's current length I just wore my hair loose in the 2 crocheted snoods I have. Fellow Renner figured out how to take just a thin plastic head band and crochet a snood onto it, very pretty, just have to set it up high on your head, 2-4 bobby pins then your all set!
Normal? What's that?