News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

collapsible staff

Started by Auryn, August 22, 2011, 05:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

I know this isnt for faire but I was hoping someone here would know.
I need to get/make a collapsible staff/pole that when collapsed is no longer than 8-9 inches long
and when fully extended is as long as possible.

The best thing I have found so far is a camera extendor that goes to 36" long.
Any suggestions??

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Grouser

Try googling "collapsible baton" and see if any of those would fit the bill. They come in a variety of lengths. Just bear in mind that these are actual weapons.

Auryn

I've looked.
The longest I could find a baton is about 24".

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Grouser

Oh, I'm sorry. You're looking for something in like the 5 or 6 foot range when extended?

Auryn

i would be happy with 4 feet
I have found a 3 footer that I could work with but 4 would make me happy :)

Grouser

The only things I'm seeing in that range are the hiking poles and canes and while some of them bill themselves as collapsible, their descriptions sound more like foldable. They also tend to be about 19" when broken down.

Lady Mac

I have seen a collapsible staff. but it was custom made with billiard cue parts, very thin.
Telescopic canes were made with pins, but haven't seen one in years. Harvey canes has a medical,
aluminum cane that folds, in black; shaft and handle, about 14 inches long. I don't think what
you are looking for exists commercially, 4 ft or more. You might want to become "buddy buddy"
with the staff maker at your local faire and get a custom price range.
Lady Mac's Horns, Canes @ Staffs
Every Lord needs a good stick...
Every Lady too.

Auryn

Well I wasn't able to find what I was looking for,
so I resorted to a different plan.
Story line is that my magical staff was broken in half by a villain, so now I have 2 collapsible 3 foot batons that I fight with.

I ended up finding a really good telescoping camera pole that has very little taper to it made of aluminum.
I am going to try to paint it today and hope that the really tight metal fitting doesnt cause the paint to be scratched off.
If anyone is interested let me know and I will post pictures of the final product

thanks for the help