News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Canadians visiting!

Started by Orphena, August 23, 2011, 06:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orphena

Hello friends!

It has been some time since I have been to this forum, but in light of 2 ren trips this year, thought I would renew my acquaintances! M'lord and I will be travelling to visit the Michigan Renaissance Festival for the labour day weekend (likely Sat & Sun), and are looking for any inside information that can be given. We have a hotel reservation already, and are aware of bringing 4 cans of food will get us one ticket for free. I see from reading some other posts that we had best be early to ensure we get through the line in good time - what time is suggested? We plan to dress at the hotel, and arrive ready to go from our carriage.

I am an avid faire goer, and although I had the opportunity to visit your village once several years ago, we arrived later than I like, and I missed the front gate. It was also a very rainy day, and although we had fun, we anticipate very much enjoying your festival for 2 days!

Are there coupon books available somewhere that a non-local can access? Is there things we should not miss?

Thank you in advance for all your kind replies!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Wickedvox

Well met! In order to get good parking, experience small wait time, and see the front gate opening, you should get there at least by 8:30. There will be standing time, but it won't be as long as if you wait til 9 to arrive. Kroger grocery store sells discounted (14.95) tickets, but you can't do the canned goods AND discount tickets, so whichever one is cheaper for you. Don't miss the Zucchini Brothers, they are the best! Also the falconer will be there again this year--ALWAYS a fantastic event! Falcons and Hawks fly right over the crowd in hunting formation--it's fantastic. For more info on entertainment you should visit their website: www.michrenfest.com. See you there!
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

Lady Deborah

We typically arrive at 9:15 and make way straight to the gate for the opening.  Don't miss all the great MRF music: Owain Phyfe, Silent Lion, Boca Musica, and Djilia Phralengo.  Make sure to visit the Dragon's Den for the most beautiful handmade stained glass.  The chocolate shop has had a makeover, and they have many unique and yummy confections. Owain has a revel at 6:15 each day with invited guests to perform at the Jewel Stage, always a lot of fun.  And we have the most gracious and beautiful queen in all the land.

PhoenixRose

Quote from: Wickedvox on August 23, 2011, 09:18:28 PM
Well met! In order to get good parking, experience small wait time, and see the front gate opening, you should get there at least by 8:30. There will be standing time, but it won't be as long as if you wait til 9 to arrive.

I most definitely agree with this. The walk to the front gates can seem longer than walking through the faire itself if you get there too late. The front gate opening is always fun to experience.

From what I have heard is you can each bring 4 canned goods the first day and get two BOGO tickets and just pocket the second for the following day to save you the wait in line. I have never done this myself however, so use at your own risk? Can anyone here verify this? But I am planning on seeing if it would work because the line to drop off can goods can get quite long at times.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are there to enjoy the adult beverages, is that alcohol cannot be served on Sunday until after noon. Not a big deal for most people, but I did hear some complaints about it this past weekend. :)

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

Don't forget to get your friends arrested, our local jail is a show in its own right!

Orphena

Thank you all for your most kind replies!

This is preisely the type of information that is most valuable! I always enjoy getting to faire early (I get this sence of anticipation that cannot be ignored, and flustered if I feel we are going to be late!) and your words will convince m'lord that I am NOT insane for wishing to be early!

wickedvox - thanks for the heads up about the falcon show - I always enjoy birds of prey - and to hear it is something more special than simply displaying the birds is wonderful! I have visited the website, but I find it moreof a tease (and not in the good way) than good solid information - the basics are there - especially since they updated it yesterday, but there is no storyline, and a surprising dearth of pictures!

Lady Deborah - Chocolate shop.....yummy! I dabble in making chocolatesat christmas time, and I love to see others at this! With all the music you mention - is there any dancing? I have visitied several faires, and I do so enjoy the chance to trip a reel, or learn a new dance!

PhoenixRose - hmm - I had not thought of that - I suppose it makes sense to only stand in the canned foods line once! That is good advice- though if someone could confirm that this is possible, I would be most grateful! It would be less fun to stand in line with 8 cans, and have to return to the carriage with 4 of them so near the opening! You mention alcoholic beverages - We visited your fine faire briefly several years ago, and I do remember a honey mead - am I remembered correctly? I believe I consumed a fair amount of it, some in thanks to friends who find me entertaining when I am slightly under the influence - entertaining in an elegant, gracious way, they are quick to assure me!

Captain - you share a name with my father! Thank you for the tidbit regarding the jail - although I would not care to spend time in such a place (being a dignified lady), we shall endeavour to slow our steps to watch! Is there a "good" time to be near - or is it all random?

PhoenixRose

I called this morning and found out that you can use the BOGO tickets at any point during the festival. So what you will need to do is bring 8 cans. Then stand in the food drop off line and get two tickets saying you brought cans. Then go stand in the ticket window and buy all 4 tickets for the weekend, making sure you only pay for two. Then just pocket on set and you are good to go for the next day! :)

All at random, based on how many people we've got in lock up at the time.

Orphena

PhoenixRose - Thank you SO much for finding this out for us! It is very good of you to do so! I really appreciate it!

Captain - thank you for the information, we shall endeavour to linger from time to time!

Who (from the forums) might we expect to meet on our trip on Labour Day? Assuming it is not SO busy that we cannot move! Either m'lord or I will be wearing an RF pin, and keeping our eyes peeled for others - but as I am lately returned, I am less acquainted with others as once I was! If I knowwho I seek, it is easier for me!

Keep an eye out for the man with the mini rubber duck on his hat... that would be me.

Orphena

Captain - I shall endeavour to do so! If you should sight us first, you may know us in that we are both tall (I myself am 6 feet), and so will likely "stand out" as it were. M'lord wears more hair upon his face than the top of his head, and I shall be wearing a gold gown!

robert of armstrong

Lady Heather and I will also be making the trek from the Great White North that weekend.  Where is your caravan travelling from?  We are coming from Barrie, and we will be bringing our two little ones with us.  We will be driving down Friday and are staying at the Embassy Suites in Auburn Hills for the multiple rooms it affords us for the kids to sleep when we aren't yet ready to sleep.  We will be attending Faire on Saturday, then returning home Sunday; wish we could stay for a second day (green with envy).

I don't know if Zoltan the Adequate is performing this year, but I hope he is.  He's a roit, not to be missed.

Keep an eye out for us - Lady Heather has not yet decided what she will be wearing, I will be wearing a brown vest and pants with an oatmeal peasent shirt, and most likely puling a decorated wagon for the little ones.  I will have a shaved head and a beard, kinda distinctive, or used to be.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Orphena

Greetings Robert!

We shall keep an eye out for you - m'lord and you could be twins were it only hairstyles we judge on! We have a room at the Wyndham in Grand Blanc, but we will watch for you on Saturday - We are departing from Mississauga early Friday morning already! We should pick the same border guard so only one of us has to explain why we go out of province for these faires! (The last guy gave us the third degree - your going where? Why?)

I have seen Zoltan already this year at the CountryRen & at Pirate fest - were you at eiather? It is odd that sometimes we meet more "local" friends by going further away!

M'lord and I will be in noble garb - as noted above - look for the tall ones! We will have an RF pin on as well. A merchant at the fair - LadyFair runs a booth called Rings & Things, and she has a banner a top her shop - we will likley check in there as well, as we met her several years ago.

Wickedvox

Orphena--update: The raptor show is listed on the entertainment but did NOT perform this weekend, so I'm not sure what's going on with that. My husband says he's based in Maryland and may have been batening down for the hurricane. Zoltan the adequate hasn't been there for a couple years. Very sad as he is hysterical! The zucchini brothers are retiring this year so DEFINITELY see them. Lots of great, staple acts are leaving or have left (Tartanic) so see the rest while you can!
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

Lady Deborah

Our group from Indiana's Enchanted Lakes Faire will be making a formal visit on Monday during Labor Day weekend, coming dressed as visiting royalty with a personal blessing from the most lovely and gracious queen of the Michigan faire.  I would love to say hello to you if you see us.