News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Noble?

Started by Bahlien, August 25, 2011, 01:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bahlien

As the title might suggest, I am building a character for next year (and a whole new garb) to be a noble.  I've hit somewhat of a creative block. Mostly with a name.  It is a Tudor-era-ish fair. Which means it is part of the War of the Roses time line. I was having a hard time deciding what name to go by.  The nobility at the fair I go to is the English Royalty... Henry & Elizabeth etc etc. I've always been fond of Pearce/Pierce as a name but am open to (better) suggestions. It doesn't need to be 100% accurate. Though for authenticity sake it would be ideal to have a name to fit the face, so to speak.

The new outfits colors are... well it is a toss up right now between Blue/white OR Green/Maroon.  (Leaning towards blue&white.)  Working on the nuances and other mannerisms when I think of them. Not trying to do everything right away, as characters tend to do best having room to grow on their own.  But I could use some ideas about how to bring something different to the table. I feel some of the past (male) nobility were a bit on the.. dull side. 
"Always with the negative waves, Always with the negative waves. Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful."

DonaCatalina

Dull?
Why do you think Henry VII and Henry VIII kept killing them off? They constantly schemed, plotted and fought amongst themselves.

On 14 September 1444, Humphrey Stafford, 6th Earl of Stafford, was created Duke of Buckingham. He was the son of Anne of Gloucester, "Countess of Buckingham", daughter of Thomas of Woodstock, Earl of Buckingham (later Duke of Gloucester), youngest son of King Edward III of England. Stafford was an important supporter of the House of Lancaster in the Wars of the Roses, and was killed at the Battle of Northampton in July 1460.

He was succeeded by his grandson, Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham, who aided Richard III in his claiming the throne in 1483 (Edward IV of England's marriage to Elizabeth Woodville having been declared null and void and Edward's sons illegitimate by Act of Parliament Titulus Regius), but who then led a revolt against Richard and was executed later that same year.

His son, Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham, was restored to the title upon Henry VII's accession to the throne in 1485, but he was ultimately executed for treason in 1521 due to his opposition to Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, Henry VIII's chief advisor. At this time the title became extinct.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Mademoiselle D

One thing that's worked for me and other people I know is to get a few books that are biographies of Henry VIII, Elizabeth or really anyone from the Tudor court.  Then look in the index at the names of the people mentioned in the book.  Since you're not looking to be 100% accurate you can then find a last name that might strike your interest and then add a first name to match.  Hope that helps.

Bahlien

I'll give that a go.  And thanks for the quick History refresher Catalina.
"Always with the negative waves, Always with the negative waves. Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful."

captmarga

How to create a character on the fly.  The last time I wore my "Elizabethan" outfit was at TRF in 2009.  My hubby was with me then, he passed away in Dec 09.  I couldn't play the same character, so my travel companions and I created one in the car on the way up to KCRF.

Based on the clothing - noble.  Didn't have enough internet to look up real titles, so decided on just Lady.

Pick a name you know you will answer to, that sounds good to you, or is just plain unusual.  We tossed around names back and forth, using what googling we could.

Came up with Kaitlin Marie MacDonald, Lady Knightbridge.  My lady-in-waiting was a bit of a high-handed lass, Emma Louise Frasier.  Lord help, that girl is a handful!

More backstory will continue to build as she is brought out again for TRF this year.  No doubt what played in the lanes at KC, the costume repairs, and the situations around the fairegrounds (the fires) will make their way into her story.

Good luck with your Nob!

Marga (Capt Marga)
aka Jofranka Whispersteppe
aka Lady Knightbridge
and about 6 other different personas for various faires and venues!!!
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

DonaCatalina

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

McGuinness

I've recently re-discovered the website "Who's Who of Tudor Women" by Kate Emerson (a web version of the old book "Wives and Daughters: The Women of 16th Century England"). I've been tasked with creating a character from the ground-up for our 2012 season and have found the site really useful as a "jumping off point" for some ideas and names and titles. I'm not sure if I'm going to make a fictional noble yet or change up the history of a real person and this is giving me tons of ideas. They have a list on there of all the names of people in the various courts of the time as well as titles that were in use. Scroll down to the bottom for the A-Z's, or click on the little ink-pot icons next to the topics below there. 

http://www.kateemersonhistoricals.com/TudorWomenIndex.htm

DonaCatalina

I think this would be an interesting character to try for.
ELIZABETH SCOTT (1504-June 1557)
Elizabeth Scott was the daughter of John Scott of Camberwell, Surrey and Elizabeth Skinner. Her first husband was Roger Appleyard of Bracon Ash and Margate Hall, Stanfield, Norfolk (1506-July 8, 1528). Most genealogies list John as their eldest child, followed by a younger son, Philip, and two daughters, Frances and Anne or Anna. Philip married Mary Shelton, who was probably born around 1512, making her considerably his senior. The History of Parliament entry for John, however, gives his life dates as January 26, 1529-after 1574 and says that he was born nearly seven months after his father's death. It mentions the will left by Roger Appleyard, in which he provided for his as yet unborn child. Young John, as would be usual for the heir, became a ward of the crown and his wardship was sold first to Sir Thomas Wyatt (for £200), then to Sir Edward Boleyn, and finally to Robert Hogan of East Bradenham, Norfolk, who married the boy to his daughter, Elizabeth. Given these facts, either John was not the as yet unborn child in question and was born closer to 1526, or Philip has been placed in the wrong generation and was, perhaps, Roger's brother. Appleyard left his widowed the manor of Stanfield, Norfolk for life. In about 1530, Elizabeth married Sir John Robsart of Syderstone, Norfolk (d. June 8, 1554), by whom she had a daughter, Amye (June 7, 1532-September 8, 1560). The assumption is made in many older accounts that Elizabeth died by 1549, when her son John Appleyard was listed as holding Stanfield, but it now appears she lived much longer than that. Perhaps she settled the property on him early. John Robsart's will, proved at Norwich on July 5, 1554, was written October 6, 1537, and as such is no help with determining when she died, but it does leave Elizabeth three manors—Syderstone and Newton in Norfolk and Bostentim in Suffolk—for life, with reversion to their daughter Amye and her heirs, and names Elizabeth as his executor, and it seems unlikely that he would not make a new will if his wife died five years before he did. In addition, Syderstone was not granted to Amye and her husband until 1557. How much Elizabeth was involved in the lives of any of her children is unclear, but the marriage of Amye Robsart to Robert Dudley must certainly have affected her. During the latter part of the reign of Edward VI, Amye's father-in-law, John Dudley, duke of Northumberland, was the most powerful man in the kingdom. When Edward died and Mary Tudor became queen, Northumberland was executed and Lord Robert was imprisoned in the Tower of London. Elizabeth did not live to see the resurrection of his fortunes under Queen Elizabeth.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Aderin

Quote from: Eileen on September 09, 2011, 12:31:40 PM
I've recently re-discovered the website "Who's Who of Tudor Women" by Kate Emerson (a web version of the old book "Wives and Daughters: The Women of 16th Century England"). I've been tasked with creating a character from the ground-up for our 2012 season and have found the site really useful as a "jumping off point" for some ideas and names and titles. I'm not sure if I'm going to make a fictional noble yet or change up the history of a real person and this is giving me tons of ideas. They have a list on there of all the names of people in the various courts of the time as well as titles that were in use. Scroll down to the bottom for the A-Z's, or click on the little ink-pot icons next to the topics below there. 

http://www.kateemersonhistoricals.com/TudorWomenIndex.htm

I thank thee for this! I shall play with it later.
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

Aderin

Quote from: DonaCatalina on August 25, 2011, 05:14:05 AM
Dull?
Why do you think Henry VII and Henry VIII kept killing them off? They constantly schemed, plotted and fought amongst themselves.

On 14 September 1444, Humphrey Stafford, 6th Earl of Stafford, was created Duke of Buckingham. He was the son of Anne of Gloucester, "Countess of Buckingham", daughter of Thomas of Woodstock, Earl of Buckingham (later Duke of Gloucester), youngest son of King Edward III of England. Stafford was an important supporter of the House of Lancaster in the Wars of the Roses, and was killed at the Battle of Northampton in July 1460.

He was succeeded by his grandson, Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham, who aided Richard III in his claiming the throne in 1483 (Edward IV of England's marriage to Elizabeth Woodville having been declared null and void and Edward's sons illegitimate by Act of Parliament Titulus Regius), but who then led a revolt against Richard and was executed later that same year.

His son, Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham, was restored to the title upon Henry VII's accession to the throne in 1485, but he was ultimately executed for treason in 1521 due to his opposition to Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, Henry VIII's chief advisor. At this time the title became extinct.

Excellent knowledge m'lady! A historian!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.