News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

One day in Bristol

Started by Tamtaro, August 18, 2011, 05:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamtaro

I get to visit your lovely faire for one fun-filled day!  Yay! :D  Tell me you favorite "not-to-miss" shows, food, shops, characters, etc.!

Mademoiselle D

Definitely see the Queen's Show.  It's at 1pm each day on the Globe stage, the parade route ends there and then the court goes up right away and does the show.  It's really good this year!  :)  (but then again I'm a little biased towards the court being a part of it)

Anyways there's something for everyone and regardless you will have an absolute blast!

Lady Renee Buchanan

We love the music the best, so we think all of the musical shows are first rate.   Jock Stewart, Dan the Bard (his 1:30 show at the Fountainside Stage is hysterical), Tinker Maclea, Rambling Sailors, Dylan Robertson, Craig of Farrington, to name a few.

If you haven't seen Moonie, he is really funny.  If your faire doesn't have a joust, you may want to see that. Bristol has a very H/A court, which not all faires have.

People rave about the mushrooms with garlic.  We like the portobello bangers (sausage) sandwiches, the calzones, and the hot dogs wrapped in pretzel dough (my favorite this year!).

At the end of the day, there is a drum jam.  We love the musician's revel, which is not on the schedule but begins around 6 p.m. at the Three Sheets stage, which is by the Dreadnought ship.

Twice a day at the joust area in a show called Spirit of the Stallion.  We haven't seen it yet this year, so I don't know if it is the same horse.  It didn't last very long in the past, but it was mesmerizing.  There is a horse that does dressage, also known as "airs above the ground."  The horse bows, dances, and leaps in the air like a ballerina, something that you think a human "might" be able to do, but never in a million years, a horse.

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Dinobabe

Cheese balls!!!!!  They rock!

If you like history (with a bit o drama) check out the noble's glade.

The Swordsmen!!!  If you miss them you've missed the best show at Bristol!

The Bristol joust is one of my favorites.

Eat a pickle..... ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Great bookstore. Amber jewelry shop. Second on Moonie.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I will be checking oout the Book Shop once again as awell as shopping for a Brooch that will look grand for a Gandalf the White variation I will be doing for a client.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Tamtaro

I'm so looking forward to it!!  Thank you for all the tips!
Lady Renee Buchanan - I feel like you gave me the insider scoop on the drum jam & the musician's revel - music really makes a faire for me!  And the horses - I can't wait!!
Dinobabe - when you said, "Cheese balls!!!!"  I thought you were just making an exclamation & I was thinking, "Wow! I'm going to use that one!"  But I think you are talking about a real food item (and I love cheese).  I'm still going to exclaim, "Cheese balls!!!!" now and again...
I have seen Moonie - he performs in St. Louis too *me waving from Missouri* ;D
Madmoiselle D - I will certainly see the Queen's Show - I'm a parade chaser with my silly little camera that is trying, bless it's heart! :D
Gauwyn & Lady Kathleen - I'll have to check out this bookstore - are they a book binding shop or actual written word or both?  I liked the journal booth that was at Colorado RF.  I don't remember if my home faire (Kansas City RF) has a bookshop - KCRF opens in a couple of weeks!  Whee!!

Lady Renee Buchanan

We saw the show The Spirit of the Stallion yesterday.  It was wonderful.  They've added more, and the horses are incredible!

The real name of the cheese balls is cheese fritters.  And yes, don't miss them!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Sunday, 21 August, was a FAB ULOUS day. The weather was perfect, the fellowship, grand.

Renee! Tahnk you for the Frig magnets. They are so cool this time. We will make up for lost time when we come in the first part of November for a longer visit. Yesterday was hewctic and you had a b ig group with you.

The Bookstore is a great place. I wish Minnesota had one. I bought 2 books. One on Mode In Hats and Headresses. That was a book I used a lot when I worked in the Costume shop years ago for refference for hats.

The other was a Tom Tierney book on Mary, Queen of Scots. A fabulous cut out book of some of her gowns.

I took plent of photos, Just haven't put them on webshots yet. I am on vacation. In Ohio now. Tomorrow, Niagra Falls. We may also take in the New York Renaissance Festival as well on Sunday. I have to get the shirts and tights washed first, as well s wipe down the rest of the garb.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde