News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Please pick Carolina Renaissance Festival for the 2012 Rendezvous

Started by Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia, August 28, 2011, 07:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Molden and I have been chatting about this and would like to volunteer to host(ess) the 2012 Rendezvous @ Carolina Renaissance Festival in Huntersville, NC.  We enjoy a large faire, with fyne acts such as; the Tortuga Twins, Don Juan and Miguel, Cast in Bronze, Zilch the Tory Stellar, Hanlon-Lees Jousting Troup 3 man joust and they serve GUINNESS!  It runs the 2nd weekend in October till the weekend before Thanksgiving.  The first 2 weekends we usually enjoy warmer weather although I do not recommend our second weekend as it co-incides with a NASCAR race.  Opening weekend, the last 2 weekends in October and first weekend in November would be ideal.  Opening weekend our shire offers 2-1 which may assist some in the financial aspects.  In 2010 we had the most lovely Faire weather.

Our shire is 20 minutes from KOA campgrounds in Troutman.  Oh and our shire serves GUINNESS!!!  :)  We also have very nearby an authentic Irish Pub known as the Galway Hooker in Cornelius.  It was built about 9-10 years ago, all supplies were sent from Ireland!  http://www.galwayhookerpub.com/  It would be an ideal place for meet and greet as well as dinner afterwards on Saturday night.  They have over the years accomodated large numbers of Rennies (the owner is a friend of mine) and are such great sports to ensure we have an ample supply of libations, including Guinness!!!

The link to CRF is http://royalfaires.com/

Closest airport is Charlotte-Douglas International Airport, about 1/2 hour South of the Shire.  http://charlottedouglasintlairport.com/

Blessings,

Lady M

"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

LadyJessica

You mean I have to choose between going to my home faire and your faire?!?!  Oh choices, choices....hmmmmm...  ;D
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

renfairephotog

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

BLAKDUKE

Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Pharmar Greybeard & Maria

and it's near I-85, I-77, I-40. It is also near Charlotte airport

Hibernian

My thanks to Lady Mikayla and Molden for throwing their hat into the ring and proposing Fairhaven of Carolina. It's true, it's all true, whatever she says, for who are we to disagree with such a lovely lady. Besides, the pirate Molden would ring my neck or even worse cut off my Guinness supply.

Fairhaven is a decent size fair, with excellent entertainment and perhaps one of the friendliest cast around. Between the professional, volunteer, playtrons, and just laughing at the mundanes, if you aren't entertained. we need to check for your pulse. The majority of our fair has tree covered lanes with permenant structures. Sun or shade you can always fine something. Excellent variety of vendors, good choice of "adult" beverages, and all your favorite faire foods await.

Easily accessible from Charlotte, Fairhaven (on the map look for Huntersville/Cornelius area north of Charlotte) is reachable from both I-77 and I-85. You may choose to stay in Charlotte, but the local organizers have experience and proven contacts with local hotels on I-77 just a 15 minute drive from Fairhaven. A discount deal at a hotel is a given. The Galway Hooker Pub (its a boat silly) is just off I-77 at the faire exit. The hotel will be at the same exit. All events from a Friday meet-n-greet through Sunday morning will be within that 15-20 minute circle of the faire. Even if you don't care for the event hotel, there are at least 3 or 4 more at the same exit. For those interested there are reduced rate group ticket sales. Opportunities abound!

Local support is a great mixture of pirates, rogues, ren mercs, wenchs, and R/F members. The regional chieftain (yours truly) of the Clan M'Crack is based at Fairhaven and three M'Crack clans consider CRF to be their home faire. Our annual tailgate on Pirate's Christmas weekend (two weeks before Thanksgiving, anyone and everyone is always welcome) hosts over 100 rennies each year. Its a great time! One year we all went to visit the king and our "parade" became a major event.

I know there are many great faires out there, and I have been to three RenDezvous and enjoyed them all. Please do consider Carolina as your next host faire. If not this year, then next. If not as a RenDezvous site, then do come visit us on your own.

Fairhaven welcomes all, there are no strangers here, just family you haven't met yet.
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

LadyJessica

Lady Stich had some good questions so I thought I'd ask them as well here...

Quote from: LadyStitch on August 29, 2011, 04:51:49 PM
Are there any camping clans for your faire?  I mean are there already Rennie groups that tend to camp near each other at any of the camp grounds?

what are some of your acts?

How are are hotels from the faire, roughly?

What is the typical weather for your faire? (I know this year EVERYONE is roasting, but on average for you?)

What are the grounds like?

For those that don't drink Guinness is there mead (not Chaucher) or cider?

And the only thing I'd really ask is to not do it the weekend of Oct 27th - 28th as that will be All Hallow's Eve weekend here at TRF and I know I won't be able to make it then...but that's just me asking.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP

FireFaerie

The mead is Chaucer's, and they serve regular and raspberry. As for cider, I believe they have Woodchuck. It might be Hornsby's, but I'm 90% sure it's Woodchuck.

Hibernian

Quote from: LadyJessica on September 12, 2011, 08:50:10 PM
Lady Stich had some good questions so I thought I'd ask them as well here...

Quote from: LadyStitch on August 29, 2011, 04:51:49 PM
Are there any camping clans for your faire?  I mean are there already Rennie groups that tend to camp near each other at any of the camp grounds?

what are some of your acts?

How are are hotels from the faire, roughly?

What is the typical weather for your faire? (I know this year EVERYONE is roasting, but on average for you?)

What are the grounds like?

For those that don't drink Guinness is there mead (not Chaucher) or cider?

And the only thing I'd really ask is to not do it the weekend of Oct 27th - 28th as that will be All Hallow's Eve weekend here at TRF and I know I won't be able to make it then...but that's just me asking.

Excellent questions and I will supply what information I have and I'm sure others will pick in just as FireFaerie did on the Mead.

We do not have camping on site. There is a KOA site just up the road that I know Master James of this board and the M'Cracks has used for several years. Hopefully he will add his insight into who is there and the quality of the establishment.

Our Acts are all great and several of the front liners have been with us several seasons. Always enjoy the Tortuga Twins (originals), Don Juan and Miguel, Hey Nunnie Nunnie, London Broil, Pirate Shantyman and the Bonnie Lass, Maidens IV, Lord marshall Laww, Dead Bob Sho, Barely Balanced, an excellent harpist Sarah Mullen, and Cast in Bronze. Not to mention what seems like many many more acts that you can see on the web site.

The grounds are easily accessible to both Interstate 77 and INterstate 85. More hotels on 77 which is no more than 10 miles from the site. All hotels are national chains. We were able to get a very respectable rate with Microtel last year and it even included a fridge in the room. A group rate will be offerred, just can't say where and how much.

Weather depends on when. In October we start with classic southern fall football weather. Comfortable warm, no cloaks needed. Toward the end of the run in November, getting close to Thanksgiving, in the mmornings the ladies prefer a cloak to beat the morning mist and chill, but once the sun arises the temperature climbs and all is comfortable once again.

Fairhaven is an established location, wide lanes, permenant vendor and stage buildings with some tents on the very back lane. Ground is for the most part level, dirt and grass with some gravel in front of the busy food areas. I would say at least 50% is under tree cover. Finding a shady spot to sit and listen is never a problem.

Thats my 2 cents worth. If there are more questions please ask and we'll answer as best we can.

Hibernian

Quote from: FireFaerie on September 14, 2011, 10:51:32 PM
The mead is Chaucer's, and they serve regular and raspberry. As for cider, I believe they have Woodchuck. It might be Hornsby's, but I'm 90% sure it's Woodchuck.

I agree, I seem to remember Woodchuck on the board. Also, don't forget the Medieval Margarittas and of course the Mimosas!

Merlin the Elder

A number of the acts are regulars at Scarby...quite familiar with them! If Carolina is chosen (my current favourite of the nominees), I will need to know the schedule for Cast in Bronze, as I will wish to be at the other end of the grounds. I know everyone else loves the act, but I just find it to be way too far out-of-place at Ren faires.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

LadyJessica

Happy to hear about the Woodchuck but ya'll really need to get some better mead up there than Chaucer's...  ;D
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP

Molden

Well Said Hibernian!

A few fun comments -

- I'd na'er cause ye physical harm, nor cut off yer supply o' Guinness - but I would "tax" y' HEAVILY on th' Guiness (a healthy portion per yer portion). It's all 'bout profit Mate!  ;) ...an' maybe cut th' "confessional" or Braggin' as y' call it a bit shorter. :D

An ye 'ave it right on th' "mmornings" closer t' Thanksgiving - tis a little chilly t' start th' day around then! ;)

An LadyJessica, if'n ye time it well - thar be a bonny lass wot makes a LOVELY homemade mead an brings PLENTY fer samplin an' purchase.

B'sides...there are Molden huggs an' kisses at this Shire! ;) (it's been awhile Love!)
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

LadyJessica

Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP

Hibernian

Quote from: renfairephotog on August 31, 2011, 12:31:37 AM
Cool Cast in Bronze. What about hotels near by?

Microtel will be repeating as our host hotel for the 2011 invasion this upcoming November. Good, solid, clean and I have heard no complaints from anyone staying there the last two years. Our 2011 rate is roughly $44 per night for two adults. If you are going to put more people in a room then I think it climbs up to $49 per night. There are also plenty of places to eat (fast food to pub to sit down fancy) between the hotels and CRF.

All the hotels are anywhere from 5 to no more than 10 miles from the actual gates of CRF.