News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

being a teacher has never been this hard

Started by Tink, September 28, 2011, 08:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tink

Two of my students died in a car wreck this afternoon.  I broke down earlier, but right now I just feel numb.  It hasn't sunk in, and I keep thinking someone is just playing a horrible joke on me.  They'll both come in to class tomorrow, a minute or two late as usual, and they will cut up in class, I'll tell them to cut it out, and they'll be their charming selves and get away with whatever they're trying to get away with at the moment.  They'll do whatever they can to get out of their assignment, then with my encouragement, they will grudgingly get to work, and be successful. 

I don't know how to deal with this.  I feel completely lost.  I feel helpless, and even more so when I think of the rest of my students.  What can I possibly do for them when I can't even deal with it myself?  How am I supposed to be strong enough for all of us?  I haven't even let myself think about their families until now.  What pain they must be in.  I wish there was something I could do to make this all go away.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

irish

my heart weeps for you, fellow classmates and their families.
i hope you all will find strength in your memories.
you all are in my prayers....
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Welsh Wench

When the time is right, perhaps grief counseling would help you to cope.

My sincere sympathies, Tink. Aside from the inconceivable pain the family must be in, technically these are 'your kids' too.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Tink

I was wrong, it was three of my kids.   Not just two, three.  And I found this out when they showed the wrecked car, the stains, and announced their names on the freakin' news.  As if we weren't all hurting enough.

There will be grief counselors on campus tomorrow for the kids.  Maybe they'll let the teachers come see them, too.

Thank you for all the prayers, thoughts, and strength.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Rani Zemirah

Oh, sweetheart... I am so very sorry for your loss.  I can imagine the pain you, their classmates and friends, and their families must be going through right now.  Surely the counselors will be there for whoever needs them.  At least I hope so... 

You will be in my thoughts and prayers, hon...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Anna Iram

Tink, I'm so sorry. No words of wisdom from experience. Just sending a hug and supportive energy throughout the day. Yes, I would think your school would have some sort of plan in place for these cases. If not pull a more tenured teacher aside or the principle and ask them. I'm guessing the students will already know, so just try to be a support for them through the next few weeks.

maeven

I'm so sorry, Tink. I was hurting in May when one of my former students was gunned down while trying to run and get help for his friend, the intended target. It's very hard to lose a student, especially when they are so young. It seems very unfair and it's almost like they never got a chance to see what their lives were going to turn out like. You have to be strong for your students because they will be looking to you for comfort and understanding. You have to show them that it's okay to cry and mourn, and that it will be okay. I'll be praying for you, your students, and their families.
*Short enough to not reach the pedals, tall enough for the rides at Six Flags!*

I'm splendid. That is all.

AHE 2013 RenNado Survivor

Baron Frederick

Oh Tink , I am so very sorry for your loss, Because truly they where your kids even if not by blood. You must remain strong for the rest of your kids will look to you for strength. I know you will do the best you can and that is all they will expect. .
Baron Frederick

Merlin the Elder

Tink.... I truly feel your pain. I'm so sorry. Do go see the grief counselors tomorrow. They are there for you, too.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

morganne

Tink
I am so sorry to hear of the loss you and your students are experiencing.  I have lost a number of people who were very important to me in the past few years.  I am not an expert, but I'm going to tell you some things that may help you and your students cope.  First, encourage students and other teachers to talk about the students that were killed.  (yes everyone will cry, but that is okay)  Some kids may want to write about them, and some may want to talk.  Maybe the faculty can come up with a project that will help everyone deal with their grief, and possibly provide something sort of emotional soothing to their families.  (I don't know, I'm just rambling - blankets with memories written in fabric markers or with pictures in them.  A school-wide scrap book...)  Also if you can find a book entitled "How to Survive the Loss of a Love", it was very helpful to me.  (Here is a link through Amazon How to Survive the Loss of a Love by Peter McWilliams, Harold H. Bloomfield and Melba Colgrove (Oct 1993).  One more thing - everyone grieves differently. 
Hang in there.
Morganne (Anne)

Merlin the Elder

Tink has asked me to pass along her gratitude to everyone for their support and love. This has been extremely difficult for her, as you can imagine.

Morganne, she took your advice with her students, and that was most helpful. She also apologized for not responding herself, but she is dealing with a lot right now. Continue to keep her in your thoughts.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Xantrawler

Tink I am sorry for your loss. I can offer a bit of advice as far as how to handle the loss. What we do with EMS and fire is what is known as a critical stress debrief. Lets face it this is a critical strees for all you teachers. I think you all should get together and talk. Share your feelings and help each other. Trust me it works. We see so much of this and I have been to many of them. Without them you just lose it. There is an old saying. Shared happiness is multiplied. Shared grief is divided. Share your grief and allow your friends to help you care the load. I will pray for all of you.