News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Not the same....

Started by Rellspire, September 04, 2011, 05:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rellspire

I would like to first and foremost say that the six weekends of the Renaissance festival have for the past 10 years (at least) been my favorite of the year. That being said, for the last few years it just hasn't been the same.  So many of the faces, people that I have come to call friends, are no longer there.  Just a few of the faces/acts that I miss greatly. Professor M. The Duelists.  Kip.  Lady Ophelia's Courtly Dancing. and Barto. I miss the fact that the actors used to interact with patrons and now the only character that i can even name is Skidmark who I actively AVOID.  It used to be a great joy and one of the highlights of my day to interact with the players, and now i have to veer around certain areas, or move out of the way of the countless "nobility" who don't even acknowledge anyone outside of their group.  I know this is a bit of a rant, but after talking to my boyfriend today and having him ask me why I like it so much, I got to thinking about what made me fall in love with that place, as he doesn't see the appeal.... Looking at what he has seen, (as he went for the first time last year) he missed the magic that our little faire used to have.  And that makes me very sad.
Don't make me get my whip!

Betty Munro

I think once the shopping is over, it really has a lot to do with making friends and who we hang out with and catch up with at faire.  I hope you make new faire friends so will keep coming!

Rellspire

I enjoy a few of the shows, and I'll still go, but I just was feeling nostalgic today for the way things used to be.  I remember walking in for the first time, and many years after that and there was a feel of magic in the air... I no longer get that feeling.  :(

arbcoind

I agree with Betty, you have to make new friends, which I've been doing the past few years.  I miss the "old" shows, cast, etc.  But I've come to terms with them being gone and have moved on to what is current. 

I still have a great deal of fun at festival.  You just have to accept the fact that our festival will never be what it was a few years ago and I look forward to what it will become.

Although I could have done without 95 degrees on Saturday.  Thank goodness for ice.

Gina

Rellspire

I am exceptionally happy that I missed the heat on Saturday!  Though it really wasn't that great on Sunday either.  It was nice there for awhile, then got blazingly humid before it started to sprinkle.  I do enjoy the shows that I've seen, the fire eater is fantastic, and I positively LOVE the German Brothers, also this jousting company is phenomenal!  Like i said before, I was feeling nostalgic when I wrote it, and missing my friends.  Yes I know it's time to make new friends, but I still miss my old ones.

arbcoind

I will be at festival the next 3 saturdays.  We start around 9:00 am in the parking lot.  After cannon I talk to Sherry at the uppermost pub.  Then it's off to see Bridgette and Patricia at the pub past the joust.  I may shop a little but really don't care for the shows.  By noon or so I make it to Pirate Pub and pretty much stick there all day.   I like to play with the mundanes as well.

Come check it out!

Gina

DonaCatalina

We don't interact with the cast that much. We know there is a limit on their time. And the most bang for the faire is for the cast to spend time on the mundanes.
What we enjoy about faire is having fun with the playtrons we have made friends with. I hope you rediscover your magic and make some new friends.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Alaric

I noticed that the cast did seem to interact with the danes a lot (especially the kids) but playtrons - not so much (I didn't go in garb opening weekend - TOO HOT)

I know what you mean about skidmark - he can be pretty annoying. The one beef Jerky vendor really got on my nerves as every time I walked past him he was super pushy...

Id say make some new faire friends!

arbcoind

I don't mind Skidmark, he's only doing what he is supposed to do.  Scare the heck out of most everyone.  The beef jerky guy is just that, a jerk.  I purchased jerky from him once last year.  He was very insulting to me when I asked about the various meats and flavors.  NO JERKY for me this year, I take a wide path around him.

Athena, yes please do invade this year, we so enjoyed your company last year.  I'm a Coors Light fan but I do understand that it isn't real beer to alot of folks.

See everyone on Saturday.  I'm rocking Steampunk, so come check me out.

Gina

Rellspire

The guy that plays Skidmark is an awesome actor, I will give him that, because i absolutely LOVE him as the leprechaun! But as Skidmark he sits in the street, and just insults people. Kip at least was entertaining and NOT MEAN! I generally go on Sundays, my friends have a face painting stand there (the one by Cast in Bronze) and my best friend generally can only help out on Sundays. So i go largely to see her if only for a little bit.  I also learned quickly to avoid the jerk with the Jerky. And Athena, let me know when you will invade!  I'd love to hang out!  It's been years!

Kip

Thanks Rell for the complaments ;D. I know the fair isn't what it used to be.  But I tell people I was here before them and I will be here after them! I did go 2 weeks ago. Betty approached me twice with in 10 Min's of each other. Telling me to keep it low keyeach time saying it was nice to be here and keeping it low key the first time. The second time she came to me and told me she heard about my spider and I'm not apart of cast, she knows that acting is in are blood and its hard but I'm not apart of cast and need to keep a low key, If I want to come next year and audition that I could. To Me that was like a slap in the face. Audition Please 7 years in the festival and she wants KIP to audition. She told me and M the first year she was at Pittsburgh should have us in Colorado no questions asked. And the reason she gave me my first year not coming back was " We are heading in a new direction more music".  Like more music makes the fair.

arbcoind

Quote from: Kip on September 11, 2011, 01:36:08 AMBut I tell people I was here before them and I will be here after them!

Ditto Kip, ditto.

I've never been on cast, don't want to be either.  But I've got 12 playtron years under my belt and no one can take that away from me.  See everyone on Saturday.  I'll try not to keep it low key!!!

Gina

kcdcchef

looks like my only cameo in 2011 will be closing day, hoping I enjoy it as much as I used to.