News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Acts that run right up the minute!

Started by Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter, August 30, 2011, 10:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

We recently did a well known Faire for Pirate weekend. Now, we don't usualy do traditional Renn Faires much any more, and at most Pirate events theres a certain comraderie between the acts, and we hawk for the act after us, and the they in turn do a lil bit for the act after them, and so on.

At this faire, the act before us ran right up to the exact minute of change over, would not allow anyone from The Brigands on stage until their slot was over, and refused to even mention that there was another act on after them.  And GOD forbid if we had not ended, cleared the stage compleletly of our equipment in time for thier opening schtick.  Had to work all weekend with this act and frankly by the time Sun afternoon came, we had just about had enough.  I like to think that most Renn Faire acts are not like this - what is your experience?
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

Haven't yet had the experience of sharing a stage with someone who wasn't friendly, but I've heard it from others. Kind of distressing, we're all out here for the same purpose (money and fun) and it doesn't help any of us to be paychecks to each other.

crazyrennie

I have an odd view of Stage acts-
History
I run one of the larger stages at AZ and have for the last 6 years.

I have only had one visiting act that ever gave me grief
Prior to cannon spoke to the leader of act- told him how we run things
eye contact holding up 5 fingers to let him know 5 minutes

eye contact holding up 2 fingers to let him know 2 minutes

slashing motion across throat cut now

He agreed to all of the cues-
show goes along,he sees my 5 min warning,2 min warning, turns his back when I show him the cut now signal.

So I went in and turned off the power to his Microphone

In hindsight-not the most professional thing to do-
crazy

Jade Sapphire Emerald

This past year, at our faire in FL, we had two acts that were near one another, and the one at the bar had a full audience. The guy that was behind them decided that, even though the audience was asking for more (and they were still in their time) that he was going to pull the plug on their sound. Needless to say, he got a talkin' to by management, and it's not exactly a "run right up to the minute" example, but it is an example of the sad fact that there are some really really idiotic acts that think they're all that and refuse to work with others without thinking of the fact that they got there the same way as everyone else.

Sorry that they're like that. Perhaps a talk with management may help?
-Formerly Emerald Rogue-
-AKA Jaden Karr-

Nah, we only did this Faire for one weekend, not worth making waves with management.  And I do think an act has the right to take up their slot, believe me, but running to the minute and other non cooperative attitudes are something we are just not used to in the pirate community. 
Party like it's 1724

raevyncait

The acts that I've seen that have shows booked back to back at Scarby at least one act has been on the same stage for as long as the stage has been in existence, and both they and the acts that they share the stage with worked well together and the exiting act timed their set to finish with the 10 or so minutes necessary for the upcoming act to get their stuff set up as necessary.

I have however, been to a couple of events (interestingly enough they were charity events) where the preceeding act totally ignored the fact that the HOUR between start times was designed to allow the next act 15 minutes or so to get all of their instruments set up and their sound check done so they could start at their assigned START time. As a result, the band started 15 minutes late, did a short set in order to be sure that the next act had the time they needed to set up & get sound checked. It seems to be a bigger problem with one particular act (she is a clown & storyteller), and don't even DARE start setting small things on the edge of the stage before she finishes (right at YOUR START TIME), but if you aren't stopping at least 10 minutes before hers, she starts loading her stuff on the FRONT!  With this particular event, the band was scheduled at 3 different locations, one of them for 2 shows in the day, but the offending act is only on the one stage all day long, so maybe she has some sense of entitlement, I don't know, but I know that the stage/sound guy for the vent was frustrated because she ignored even him, and several complaints were lodged by various people with the organizers, so maybe it will be better the next time the event is held.

At Scarby, it seems that the stage with the most visiting acts, at least this year, was the Crown Stage, and it's pretty well scheduled so that acts are at least 30 minutes after Don Juan & Miguel finish their previous show, but even other stages that I've seen with acts sharing stages there, the finishing act always says "we'll be back at 5 p.m., but coming up at 3:30 p.m. will be XYZ, and you don't want to miss that!" or something similar.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Prof. John Bull

In general we have had excellent cooperation from acts preceding us and we try to treat acts following in an appropriate way.  We try to clear the stage and complete our hat pass in time for the next act to take the stage on time, and we try to introduce the upcoming act.

At MNRF the shows have usually been in 30 minute slots although they're starting to change to a 45 minute slot for some stages.  Shows are scheduled back to back and it isn't feasible to allow 5 minute for changeover let alone 10.  Other festivals we have worked usually schedule in 45 minute or hour increments.

The only times I've run into a problem have been when the preceding act has to start late and can't or won't cut their show short, and when a group accustomed to performing a longer show has to fit into a time slot smaller than they usually have.

skivee

We PRs have seen that sort of thing happen at hat-pass fairs, as well as when we work with folks who don't know that we have weapons.
I wonder if the fair knows what the act is doing.

Maybe a chat with management would help for next year...along the lines of "we know that these folks are regular performers here, but since we had this problem with them, could you consider moving us to a stage with folks who are kind enough to not be a**holes and D***wads?, thank you very much."

BTW, I always look forward to hearing and working with you folks.

xxxx
Skivee/ PR

aerial angels

It's courteous to plug the next act, especially if you're a guest. But generally, "up to the minute" is because you own your time slot. That 30 minutes is yours - it's not 25 minutes plus the next act's changeover time. If you get a 30 minute slot, you get to do a 30 minute show, which is supposed to include your set-up, your show, your hat pass, and your strike.

Acts that get along often overlap their hat pass and strike with the next act's set-up...but it's a courtesy, it's not required that they give up five minutes of their time so the next person can take that as set-up time.

In the street performer world, you plug the next act, you run to the minute, and you owe the next act a beer for every minute you run over. That was also something we used to do on the ren circuit many years ago :) But it wasn't ever that people had to leave before their time was up to allow the next person to set up. And of course there are adaptations - at the Covent Garden pitch in London, the act after you strikes your stuff while you haul weed puller to the three pub balconies to hat pass the patrons before they forget you.

I might mention that said act that prompted this thread had NAILED and screwed their set to the stage, so no 'striking of the set' was possible. 

Party like it's 1724

crazyrennie

Shakes head in disbelief-not disbelieving you Capt-but amazed at the pettyness (is that a word?) of some people