News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Blackbeard's Ship Confirmed off North Carolina

Started by Captain Jack Wolfe, August 31, 2011, 09:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RumbaRue

Thank you all for the wonderful information! It's exciting and worth delving into further for those who want to know more and bring it to light for others to read.

More and more ships are being found thanks to today's instruments/computers. I think it's great!

Rumba

Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Welsh Wench

Where is that anchor now?

Sitting in a 6,500 gallon tank at the QAR lab!

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/news/qarcannon.cfm

Excavation will begin on the main mound when diving begins again--50% of the artifacts are there and I can't wait to see what they can bring up next!
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Amy of York

Fascinating ! Thanks Welshie, Jack, and everyone else for sharing what info you have all found.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Welsh Wench

Concretion restoration pictures have just been release on the Queen Anne's Revenge site!!

All I can say is.....WOW! Incredible jobs, conservation team!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blackbeards-Queen-Annes-Revenge/307533847347#!/media/set/?set=a.10150719799862348.421442.307533847347&type=3

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Welsh Wench

An update on the surgeons that I got from a knowledgeable person on Pyracy Pub--

I know of two sources for the statement that surgeons were forcibly retained aboard the French slaver formerly named La Concorde--one secondary source and one primary source.

The secondary source comes from "In Search of Blackbeard: Historical and Archeological Research at Shipwreck Site 003BUI," Richard Lawrence and Mark Wilde-Ramsing authors, published in Southeastern Geology February 2001: "The cabin boy and three of his fellow French crewmen voluntarily joined the pirates, and ten others were taken by force including a pilot, three surgeons, two carpenters, two sailors, and the cook."

The primary source comes from the signed deposition of La Concorde's former captain, Pierre Dossett, given upon his return to Nantes on 13 October 1718 after surrendering his ship to Edward Thatch in the Windward Islands. Dossett listed the fate of his crew members including those who died enroute. Dossett indicated that Jean Dubert d'Arzal, "chirurgien," returned to Nantes aboard an English vessel. The two "aides chirurgiens," Marc Bourgneuf and Nicholas Gautrain, remained with the newly named Queen Anne's Revenge. Therefore, based on the Dossett deposition, it would seem that only two surgeon's aides were conscripted by Thatch.

DonaCatalina

Thanks for the update. Putting names to these people makes it seem more real somehow.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Welsh Wench

From the Queen Anne's website on FB--

Contingent on good weather and smooth logistics, next week marks the start of the 2012 Fall Expedition to the Queen Anne's Revenge Shipwreck Site to continue systematic excavation, documentation, and recovery of features and artifacts.

Can't wait to see what they find!

DonaCatalina

fingers crossed for the end of Hurricane season.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Welsh Wench

Two more cannons were found at the QAR site.
They were found right before the dive site was shut down for the season.
That brings the total number of cannons to 27.
Some of the cannons found were fully loaded.

Oh, and 294 years ago today, Blackbeard met his fate. He lost his head to Lieutenant Robert Maynard.
Literally.

http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/news_times/news/article_91dd5770-3005-11e2-871b-0019bb2963f4.html

DonaCatalina

thnaks for the update....loaded with powder shot and three broken bolts..
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Welsh Wench

The first cannon was brought today....

...followed by the second one.

Way to go, QAR!

Captain Jack Wolfe

I'm more than a little surprised at the lack of concretions on those guns. It's going to make the conservation work that much easier, which means they'll be on display relatively soon!
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

DonaCatalina

I think the area is more sandy and doesn't have much in the way of iron bearing clay that you might see further north.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Welsh Wench

The anchor found in the salvage....

...and now into the chemical bath.

Part of a sword.....

A slave shackled wrapped in rope to prevent chafing.

A cork in a broken wine bottle....or maybe a Combo gone bad.

The reason they are so well-preserved is that they were buried in silt and sand, protecting it from oxygen.