News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Got a couple books

Started by Drac, September 02, 2011, 06:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drac

Let me guess, you use Mozilla ;D

It only works with IE.

Drac
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

Lady Kett

Quote from: Drac on September 07, 2011, 07:12:45 PM
Let me guess, you use Mozilla ;D

It only works with IE.

Drac

Safari on a Mac. :) IE not an option LOL. But that's good to know, I can make hubby pull it up on his PC!

Drac

I use Mozilla at home so it took me a while to figure out what was up.  Bit annoying since I haven't even setup IE on my laptop.

Glad you have a work around.

Drac
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

Cilean

Quote from: isabelladangelo on September 02, 2011, 06:24:01 PM
Patterns of Fashion -or anything by Janet Arnold- is sort of the bible for Historical Costuming in many ways.  Tudor Tailor is sort of the Patterns of Fashion for Dummies version.  :-)   I looked at it when I was told I "had" to get that book and realized there was nothing new in it. 

Wow!  Isabella,
They say that everyone has an opinion, I guess yours is that.....however?  Let's just take a peek at Ms. Arnold's books which only speak about what she looked at in the books, the extant pieces. She does not except in the Wardrobe, ever go into the whys and wherefores of the common person.  She is a fantastic academic, and I adore her things. But to state that Tudor Tailor is but a rip off and a poor one? Or by your words? Janet Arnold for dummies?!

Ms. Arnold does not speak about fabrics except what she saw in front of her- with a noted exception to Wardrobe and off her Majesties Back.  The PoFs are more academic than the Tudor Tailor, which had hoped to correct misinformation that had been circulating for 40 or so years.  Ninya and Jane speak about the 2nd hand marketing of clothing, and set the record straight about Henrician Clothing. None of this was spoken about in any of Ms. Arnold's tomes.

The fabric accounts, coloring and correct use of the English Fitted Gown, which heretofore had been called something completely different, and the best misinformation hopefully corrected is the misuse of the Bumroll by many!!! It was not shown in any account until the French Farthingale or Wheeled Farthingale in the 1580's.  If anything could help the costumer? It should be that and the stopping one can only hope of using the term "Chemise" when speaking about an English Shift or Smock.  Of course I have seen their costumes/clothing in person at Kentwell, in Museums and here in the states when they brought their Tudor Talks to the West Coast.  I also have every book that I have been able to attain from Ms. Arnold, however, I learned more in the 4 hours we all spent together than I had learned in any book, group, classroom, and university workshop.

To the Original Poster:

You can purchase Tudor Tailor Patterns, from their site, they are on this waxy paper and do well on a light box, I do not cut my pattern but instead make a duplicate of my size with drafting paper.

Also, did you pick up Ms. Arnold's newest book? The one on Camisas and Smocks? There are color pictures that are very good! I can't wait to make one of them with blue silks embroidered all through it! and Inset lace as well!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail